Monday, January 11, 2010

Floating Through...

For a Monday, my head is well above water. Training last week was near perfect. Each workout fit nicely into the days, my legs are still attached with all the riding, in fact I want more and I still love my bike, my arms are still on, and my head is focused and ready for a goal. Base week 2 with Coach Jimmy is in the bank. I think coach and I have finally picked my first Ironman of the season too. South Africa! My heart is beating just saying that, I better say it again, "SOUTH AFRICA". I'm so excited coach agreed. It's far away, it's hot, an ocean swim, not much there but a race, sounds like my style.
.
The rest of 2010 is to-be-discovered. Some ideas are in discussion, for the moment it's just learning to work with my new coach, trying to put some pieces together, building a strong base, and of course putting that first Ironman on the map.Today was the start of the "Boycott boxed and canned food" challenge at Lokahi Makai. Cooking, baking, experimenting in the kitchen is a major hobby of mine (and Kainoa's), so this challenge has me HAPPY! This morning was an early swim with Kona Aquatics. I went for yogurt covered (literally) in fresh pineapple-remember, no dairy, it was a coconut milk yogurt, you can try soy or almond milk if you prefer, just check for no preservatives. For sure I was a bit nervous that my energy level on just that would sink in the pool, however, no problems. Phewww

Post swim was juice in my juicer: Cabbage, carrots, ginger, and an apple. Look how pretty it looks and it tastes so good too. I went for the carrots because I needed some massive carbs after that swim and the apple helps the morning sweet tooth. It worked wonders, so far so easy. This challenge is doable...
.
Monday's are generally my "least busy" day of the week so I made a BUNCH of easy recipes that I can just toss into tupperware's until chow time or tomorrow when my day is way more busy with a long ride & run. Remember, I like easy cooking, ingredients that are most always in the kitchen since most days I'm a busy tri-momma, each of these take only moments to prepare.
Thai Black Beans:
Boil black beans until tender. Add in frozen (or fresh) Thai veggies such as baby corns, ginger, lemon leafs. Ginger and I get along really well so I always dump on piles of ground ginger (found at any health food store) in the form of a powder. Mix and it gives plain black beans a fun kick. Total time: 7 minutes to make.
Sunny Zucchini Salad:
Chop a large zucchini into bite size pieces. Once it's tender drain and add in sun dried tomatoes (that's why I call it Sunny Z salad), a few spoonfuls of balsamic vinegar, sesame seeds, basil, and top with veggie parmesan cheese. It tastes great hot or cold.
Total time: 5 minutes
Simple Purple Egg Plant:
In a large fry pan boil sliced purple egg plant (a large one). Once the egg plant is soft drain the water and add olive oil to the pan (to keep the egg plant from sticking). Let the egg plant fry just a little. Sprinkle on your favorite spice, maybe garlic or all spice. Top with vegan cheese (remember, no dairy this week), a sun dried tomato, and an artichoke.
Total time: 12 minutes
Slow Cooked Split Pea Soup:
This is one that sits all day (make it up before work, leave it all day, come home to a meal). Mix green and yellow peas into the slow cooker. Remember, for each cup of peas use 2 cups water (I trade water for chicken or veggie broth liquid). Add in onions & carrots. Sprinkle in spicy black pepper for that little zip. Serve on top of rice or stuffed in a pita bread to make a more filling meal.
Very Chunky Applesauce: This is Kainoa's favorite, he even makes it himself (totally kid friendly recipe). In a food processor put one apple, a handful of mac nuts, a handful of raisins, and a few sprinkles of cinnamon. Put on the lid, press the button, and there you go! The longer you process the food the more smooth it gets if you prefer it non-chunky. Kainoa sometimes adds on a spoonful of maple syrup.
.
Tomorrow is a full day of training between dropping Kainoa to school and picking him up so we have a fridge full of boxless-canless meals ready. Oh.... for those of you asking about bread, yes of course you can have it, just not the wheat kind this week if you are playing the challenge. Really good options are those from the Ezekiel brand.
.
Eat Fresh!
Bree

14 comments:

MM said...

Yum. I'm going to make some of those recipes.

Ordinarylife said...

Woo Hoo!!!! Ironman South Africa, YAY - totally awesome race, but then I am biased.

After reading this post I am HUNGRY! The food looks awesome.

The challenge did not make it past breakfast in our house.....

Kelly said...

these all look amazing! Thanks for stopping by my blog...it totally made my day!! Too bad I can't send Kainoa some snow!! :)

Roblynn and Rebekah said...

These look like great recipes. The applesauce with the macadamia nuts just screamed at me. But mostly because I love nuts and they are sooooo expensive here in CR. Thanks for the ideas!

t-odd said...

Good thing I already had breakfast or those descriptions would have me starving. I like the really chunky applesauce.

That boy of yours is damn funny. Keep floating. And eating.

Michelle said...

Bree- thanks for the challenge! I made the applesauce for the kids this a.m and they loved it!! Thanks for sharing!

Nibbles said...

Thanks for the recipes, Bree! I try to eat this way most of the time, so it's always nice to have some new ideas.

runningyankee said...

thanks for sharing all the food! sounds delish :) hopefully i can convince the husband to do some cooking! have a great day!

runningyankee said...

thanks for sharing all the food! sounds delish :) hopefully i can convince the husband to do some cooking! have a great day!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Wonderful food!

beth said...

i just finished dinner and now i'm hungry again after reading this!!! we had barramundi (fish) with fresh mango salsa, cucumber salad, and roasted acorn squash.
when you coming for dinner :) ?

Erin Stafford said...

Food. yumsville. I hear your sentiments and agree with them completely. I just posted about food today too! Have you ever checked out http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/
She is, no joke, the goddess of food documentation and her recipes are rocking

Caroline said...

Everything sounds awesome! I am now even further inspired to get a food processor!!

Sumner Smith said...

Love the recipes! Especially the applesauce - my 7 year old is going to have something new to try.