Sunday, January 10, 2010

Food...

You know you have been putting in some hours swimbikerunning when you are in the mood for food! The easier the cooking the better for this momma. So here are a few that take literally MOMENTS to make and very few ingredients.
.
Spaghetti squash! Jump off a long ride, cut a giant squash in half, put it in an oven safe pan, put a little bit of water in each half, put a cup of water in the pan, bake for 45 minutes. (the above foto Kainoa did himself it's that easy). During the baking time, shower, put your smelly-dirty clothes in the wash, and have a quick smoothie or some recovery drink. Now chop up some garlic. Put half cup olive oil, sesame seeds, and chopped garlic in the oven too (in a smaller bowl). Once the 45 minutes is over take the squash from the oven, fork out the "noodles", pour the olive oil mixture over it. Top with basil and fresh cheese of your choice (I like vegan parmesan).

This takes all of 10 minutes....EGG PLANT SALAD. Chop some egg plant, some artichoke hearts, some pre cooked organic chicken sausage (your choice, I like the garlic flavor from Costco), chop a bit of onion. Grill it on the stove or fry it up in coconut or olive oil on medium heat. Add in your favorite spices. Finally toss in some cheese (with this I love the vegan pepper jack cheese, it only has 40 calories since its made from a veggie and it gives it a HUGE kick).

BEETS! These take 5 minutes and are better than the kind your granny made you eat as a kid! Slice a giant beet, boil water and toss the beat slices in the water till they get tender/soft. Once they are soft drain water and lightly grill on the stove or fry in coconut or olive oil. The edges get so crunchy! Then add a little sea salt, they are perfect for that sodium loss after a long session.
.
Okay, that's easy enough. Here is the challenge. Lokahi Makai, the natural path doctors office in Kona has a challenge going on starting Monday. The challenge is: EAT for a week nothing from a box or can. Aim for whole foods, fresh foods. Their challenge is also no beef, only organic grass fed chicken or fresh from the sea fish. No eggs or dairy or wheat. Sounds easy right? Try it! All week see if you can create meals fresh. No cereal from a box for breakfast, no cow milk (almond milk is fine), no sweetened coffee. At lunch see if you can toss out the packaged meals and bags of pretzels or jars of processed peanut butters. YES you can have nut butter but they have to be ONLY nuts, nothing added. At dinner see if you can make tomato sauce from a tomato not a jar.... you get the idea.
.
This is the week to break out your juicer and smoothie maker! I'm on the "Boycott boxed and canned foods" club too, I'll try to share some recipes this week as I play along with Lokahi Makai doctors, staff, and patients of Kona. GOOD luck if you take the challenge, you can do it! Oh, frozen fruits and veggies (for those of you in a snow covered place who can't find them at farmers markets), are fine. Frozen foods are okay if the ONLY ingredient in the bag is the food...nothing else.
.
Bree

11 comments:

TriGirl Kate O said...

I was ok with the challenge until "no dairy, no wheat." I love my toast in the am along w/ my coffee/cream!

Sounds like you're off to a great start this year, Bree! Prospero Ano Nuevo!

Ordinarylife said...

wow - that is some challenge, when I first started reading I thought, sure. But as I thought about it NO WAY! I start everyday with cereal and milk...

Regina said...

LOVE spaghetti squash, in fact squash of any kind! Beets, well, they are not for me, yuck.

That is quite a challenge. Nor sure I am up for it. Maybe, I'll meet it halfway. no wheat is tough.

t-odd said...

I couldn't read this before lunch. I will read it after I have had something to eat. (I love beets.)

Marni said...

I've been wanting to make spaghetti squash for a long time! Great recipes!! I LOVE garlic too!
Love the idea on eating clean for a week :)
-marn

Jill Costantino said...

Mmmm your food looks delicious! That is a great challenge!

Michelle said...

Oooooh - love the challenge!!!!!! I can do this!

Julia said...

What a neat challenge! Though I don't think I could go cold-turkey on all things packaged... (I love cheese!)I do make an effort to eat as little packaged foods as possible.

Fish has Legs said...

Great! I am all for the challenge.

Kelly said...

We loved the squash recipe...I made it for dinner. Delicious. Thanks Bree!!

Kiet said...

My friend Sarah just emailed me and said that I had to pick your brain for recipes while I'm out there and send them to her and oila, here you are posting recipes. Oprah is right, put the energy out there and it will come to you. I'm going to go and make my wish board now.