Monday, January 4, 2010

Prudence...

That's what I call PRUDENCE (above foto). I was emailing with coach last night about this bike block he is putting me in, it's pretty bike-full to say the least, but I'm more than excited to tackle it. He then went on to tell me this: As long as you don’t push too hard – your legs/knees/ass/crotch/etc. will be fine. Oh I was laughing, out loud. He pretty much told me he can not stress enough the fact I MUST be prudent. That the season is LONG and I must be prudent. That now is not the time to try and see if I can go fast, to see how much I can push, to see if I'm fit, it's totally time to be prudent. And he means it. Big time. Just enjoy your bike momma, prudence.
.
Okay, growing up my grandma always told me about a friend she had named "Prudence". I would laugh so hard and tell her it's the worst name, what does it mean. Grandma told me it is what they called all the girls in her school (back in the 30's or something) that didn't have sex. So in my mind, I really had no idea what prudence meant except my grandma's definition. To read I gotta have prudence like 500x when it comes to my bike I just could not handle that word. I googled it, there were a few meanings. The one that I think fits my bike block:
Prudence: The more difficult tasks, which distinguish a person as prudent, are those in which various goods (goals) have to be weighed against each other, as when a person is determining what would be best in a situation with consequences. I totally get it, patience now, even though I'm excited to tackle my bike, will pay off later, no prudence now will result in a crummy result further down the road, like later in the season... Nice coach.

That said...today, day 1 of A LOT of riding, we just got the job done. A spin, time in the saddle, back on the bike, going with the Kona winds, reminding the legs to dance on the bike, getting back in the bars. And at the end of massive head wind and being prudent with day one of bike block insanity, we found a car... It kind of represented what would happen if I started to smack the crap out of all the riding coach has on the plan right now. By the end of the season I would look like that car....done, toasted. So, more prudence in my training. Its so good to be back...even if it's just spending time on the bike...
Happy Training...be prudent.
Bree
.

8 comments:

Haley Cooper said...

hmmmm. perhaps you should be prudent and get a tetanus shot after crawling around on that car. hehe. glad to hear you're safely back and rocking it in kona after an awesome stay in nicaragua!

CoachLiz said...

Hey! This means we will get more photos and videos of your riding adventures because you have to have prudence. You could do a photo essay of all the cool things you found on your rides or start a collection of little bags of sand from each beach that you pass on your rides.

Have fun with this training block!

Heidi Austin said...

sexi car! you always find something special on your rides~ and i second the tetanus shot :)

Regina said...

The face of car modeling is changing drastically! Nice to see more fit models draping themselves over sexy cars. he he

Sarah Giacomarra Schrader said...

Bree, this is a perfect post for me to read as I am in week one of a 20-week training program for my (2nd ever)OD triathlon in May. It reminds me to go slow, ease in to it, be prudent. Thanks and good luck with staying prudent.

Dolphin Boy said...

You are the best Hood Ornament a rusty car could ask for!!

D said...

Good advice, P! Gonna take that to my training because I'm going crazy going as slow as I am haha.

t-odd said...

You find more junk during your training than anyone I know - bikes in the ocean, cars in lava fields, old sofas along the road. I never pictured Hawaii as big open air dump.

This was my favorite definition of prudence: skill and good judgment in the use of resources

This was my favorite definition of prude:a woman who shows or affects extreme modesty. Antonyms: D