Sunday, February 21, 2010

17 Olympic Style Miles...

I woke up to this text from coach...laughed a little, smiled a lot, then put on my "work clothes" and got ready for another day at the office! Today's work clothes changed a little because I was running with a REAL RUNNER, not a triathlete girl like myself. Clara is the real deal. Our last tempo run she was in bum huggers and told me she would do the race with me and all 17 miles of my day, if I ran in them too...because that's what the Olympic girls do. KSWISS, if you are reading this, can I have some bunners (as the real runner girls called them), please? Roxy surf pants were the best "bunners" I could find in my closet...

We warmed up together, we got ready to race, then we raced. HARD. It was the Alii 5.2 miler (it was spelt in inches though thanks to Pea's mad Math skills). The goal was tempo pace (6:15) as we both had a solid week of training in us and just wanted a strong run with whatever was left after the week. Not to mention the only reason I am "sort of" hanging with Clara is because she just had her son 10 months ago and is on the come back for 2012 Olympics in the 10k (her specialty).

Miles 1-4 were amazing, a few sub 6 minute miles, and a nice little pack. She was helping me with strategies to work through the pain, the discomfort, the mini hills, the pacing, the breathing. It was like having a personal run guru taking over your very run and walking you through the "What do I do when this happens?" On the final mile it was me holding on for dear life, her screaming back at me to hold on, and all I could think of was the hills, the riding, the swims, everything in me. And you know when you get passed sometimes you think, "Bummer, just got passed, now I'm in 3rd" so you settle, sometimes you are almost relieved to get passed so you can settle into your own pace. Well, this time I wasn't allowing myself to be bummed, I just dug harder and tried to keep up as best as I could. I wasn't going to be okay with dropping off. She kept yelling for me and I kept digging. We finished up her 2nd Overall/first chick with 5:57 pace and me 5th overall/2nd chick with 6:03 pace-44 seconds better than last year on the same loop...Never have I hung so well after getting passed and fought the "oh well got passed demons". Never have I been so inspired to run. Never have I wanted bunners (real ones) so bad in my life! They make you really feel like a runner, because even as a tri-girl on run days, like today, I want to be a runner, like Clara. THANKS Clara, so much!
.
After that we kept on running. 17 miles of running with Clara taught me a million new lessons that I plan to keep tucked in deep. Humility is one of them. Here is a big time girl from the mainland, in the small town of Kona, eager to to play in our local races and lend her knowledge to a local girl, and all I had to do in return is wear real run bunners so I look like a runner not a tri-girl today.
Soon after all my sun soaked miles with Clara it was Brooke and Nick's baby shower. It didn't make me want another baby at this moment, but man it was incredible seeing 2 people so in love and about to start a family together, that I wanted, I need someone to make me an ice bath after Clara's torture, ha ha ha!! Anyways, CONGRATS Brooke, Nick, and baby Whistler Reef!! 4 more weeks to go! Love you lots!
.
Okay... time for sleep, I'm sure Coach Jimmy has more things this coming week for me to "swimbikerun like I stole them".
.
Bree

8 comments:

ADC said...

You ladies look amazing. I bet the run was awesome. Keep up the good work Bree.

Christi said...

Sounds like you had a great run! Great job!

ShirleyPerly said...

GREAT job on the run. I'm sure that must have instilled a lot of confidence in you.

And Jimmy's words worked great for me in a race last year. I must remember it next time I race hard.

Regina said...

That is an awesome run!! YOu really kept up with her;; well done (not that that is surprising).

About those 'bunners'....you can definitely pull it off. I would set a fire between my legs from the friction of my thighs rubbing together. Yikes!

PocoLocoMan said...

Nice run! Will be exciting to see all your hard work pay off in SA :)

And Miles 2 Go said...

Bree,

Just real quick, MAJOR props to you for helping keep this Virginia ultra runner with some crazy springtime plans motivated!!! Keep it coming, girl!

Kim said...

Great run and love your "bun huggers" version! So much more fun than what we used to wear! Your training looks to be shaping up! It won't be long now!

Heidi Austin said...

i want some bunners... i love that yours were roxy :) you ladies are so cute! glad it was a good run!