Monday, February 22, 2010

Beautiful, Crazy...

If every night could end on the beach, in the sand (or ocean), with a sunset, I'd be the happiest girl in the world! I just can't get enough...
.
Monday was good for me. Swim was crazy, the legs were a little gone from yesterday's running but the mind, heart, and arms were fully loaded!! Our lane was filled with nothing but big boys so the water was fast. Coach Steve was in one of his moods where he gave us a challenge set. The last round was just 4x100 and he wanted us to pick a time and hold it for all 4. Of course I was the first one he picked on, "Bree, I know you are going to pick a time, go a 1:05 on the first one, then try to hang on and I dont want you to fall apart and end up with a 1:10 at the end for going out too fast on round one." Then he asked me what I wanted, for all 4. Like the smart mouth that I am (only because I love Coach Steve), I told him, 1:05 coach. The boys laughed and so did I.
.
Round one, 1:02. Now the joke was on me, just what Coach Steve wanted me not to do. Round 2, 1:03, round 3, 1:01, and round 4....1:00, but Monroe and Coach said it maybe was a 59. It was awesome, best swim I've ever had in a pool and I dont even like pools. It was the SPLISH. Or the coaching, or the lane mates, or Coach Jimmy's help with confidence regrowing, or maybe because I need to focus and get fast so I can pay some bills, or maybe a bit of all of those things...

Before my sunset with Kainoa it was a short little run. Me and running are falling in love. The moments aren't so awkward anymore, like 2 left feet, it's more like we are dancing together now, to the same song.



My goal this week, because I'm blessed enough to live on an island, is to see 7 sunsets in a row. Tonight was simple, just slippers, Kainoa, and me. Coach has warned me by the end of the week there is a very strong chance I will feel like poop. Everything will hit me, the race, the miles, life, all of it. To expect it and be okay with it, not freak out. The next 2 days look a little scary and now I understand why I might be crawling by the weekend. We are still trying to figure out what load my body can handle and how much recovery I need (this is all for Ironman South Africa baby!!). We have to figure it out now so when the big day gets near we aren't still trying to figure out the coach/athlete thing. So far so good...
Today's adventure was acupuncture and a visit with the herbalist (hope I spelt that right). You know me, I don't do hospitals unless a bone is broke or I need surgery. Anything else I'm all about figuring it out from the inside out, Chinese medicine, natural paths, you know, that stuff. Got some herbs to help keep me in one piece during this block of training and some needles to keep things on the right track and heal other things...all injury prevention baby!
.
Finally, I signed up for my first triathlon of 2010. A local one, The Lavaman Triathlon. Love it so much and it will be a train-through race a month out from Ironman. The other races on my calendar are still fluttering but I think we are just about done putting them on paper. Good.
.
Cheers to a good sunset all week long, wherever you are!
Bree

8 comments:

MM said...

Yay. Can't wait to see you at Lavaman!

ADC said...

Well done on an amazing swim. You are a real fishy.

Christi said...

I love the pics of your sunsets. I am really impressed by the level of determination you are exhibiting now. A definite inspiration!

Amanda said...

Beautiful pics! And amazing fast swims!

tinaparker87 said...

Pretty pictures. I did SAG for TNT and lavaman Team. Wish I was going this year. It is a fun race. The race crowd is the best as are the fans. You'll be great! Kinoa is getting huge!

IAN said...

I am really hoping that wasn't LCM, or I am going to feel like an absolute manatee. I want some Kona Sunsets!!!

Jill Costantino said...

So beautiful! I bet you will CRAWL to the beach at the end of the week if the legs won't let you walk! Rock this week Chica!

Go Gammie said...

Awesome swim times Bree!!! That is amazing!! I am glad you are happy with your running,, and that things are coming together for your next Ironman. See you at Lavaman, I am glad I will be there to cheer for you again as you head into T2 and I am coming out of T1 :)