Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lieto-Lance Rumble on The Rock...

All because of a little TWEET TWEET Queen K endured a little rumble on the rock. I'm talking they passed cars, sounded like a train, and scared even the whales further out to sea. It was pretty cool. Before I begin, I like both the guys, not that I'm "friends" with either of them, but I respect both for various reasons and admire them both for various reasons, I'm a Kalani Robb fan if we are being honest.
.
About 9:35 this morning the rock shook like an earth quake. I had a long ride that turned too fast, and some local crowd support showed up to cheer. Our island is big Lance fans, he supports one of our local canoe clubs so we love him, he keeps the boys in the water. Most the town showed up in Lance shirts and so did the canoe boys, on Trek bikes of course. Then a handful of triathletes showed up hoping a triathlete can take down a cyclist...it was kind of funny to see the "sides". I was mutual and just up for a good show.

Lieto was pretty impressive, he swam first. Both boys had been training long and hard for a while so it was a fair game. However, if you had front row seats, like we did, we discovered a little something. Lance won the thing by 15 seconds, but what you don't know is the tail wind was MASSIVE! I'm talking beautiful... Lance was riding 56k's an hour beautiful.
.
Here is what impressed me more, the stud, had his personal protection crew riding behind him, that SUV if you were here to witness, completely blocked Lance's tail wind most the 14 mile ride. The man was moving without that help and we all screamed at the way he literally flew up a hill. It was crazy fast like maybe he was going down hill speed. And on Lieto's side, he swam a million miles first, the guy has 3 sports not 1 to train for and a man named Crowie to beat :)

I think in this foto Lance is congratulating Lieto, it was a good little chat, totally honorable, both men really humble about the fun they played during a training camp. Thanks Lieto and Lance, you made my long ride effortlessly fly by... The locals got in on the action too. We tried to catch the men or the men chasing the men (they let others play). The road bike was not working for me, I just sort of grabbed Dave's wheel and yelled for him to go faster and pull me up to them, never happened, but a training day I will never forget. I really hurt though, that wasn't smart...and the brick run was even worse. Now it's time to swim...however...65 days...so I will press on.

Go Lance! Big Island loves you! (foto courtesy of Randy Wrighthouse)

20 comments:

Sue said...

Bree, i like pretend sometimes...and this month i am pretending I am at the Olympics, except today, I was pretending I was you one on your bike:) nice day for you:):)

MM said...

Glad you went to check it out. The next time the two of them will likely race on the Queen K, you'll be racing too :-)

Coach Liz said...

I saw the YouTube videos earlier this evening and then I saw you jump in for that photo at the end of the Twitter TT results video. I just knew that you had to be in on all of that action.

Great photo!

Oscarjet said...

Que gran dia !! que emocionante estar al lado de esos 2 monstruos.
Lance es mi IDOLO, lo vi en Barcelona en el Tour de France 2009.Que foto!!!!!!!!
Estaras muy contenta.
Bree, te has cambiado la bici? o solo el manillar? por que???

Un abrazoooooooo AMIGA , 65 !!!!

Mama Simmons said...

That must have been so freakin' cool to see. :) How fun!!!

ADC said...

Oh I've been reading all the tweets beforehand and wished I was there. Fun.

Ordinarylife said...

Awesome!

And 65 YAY!!!

Jamie said...

Too cool! I saw lance and chris tweet about the TT and wish I was there yesterday.

Very jealous that you got to go check out those speed freaks.

Jamie said...

Just saw this post ride video. Totally spotted you sneaking in to get a picture at the last second!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4fa7CE-Daw&feature=player_embedded

Christi said...

Wow, you get to see the coolest things hanging out in Hawaii. I wonder if I could telecommute from there!

chr15 said...

Just another day in the office, eh Bree?

Sherry said...

Super huge WOW!!! What a day! You have the best job in the world, Bree! :o)

tinaparker87 said...

Love these pictures! What a motivating picture Chris, You and Lance. Thanks for sharing.

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Awesome! What a great day - how totally cool is that? I had no idea that Lance sponsored one of the teams out there...very fantastic!

Keep up the GREAT training Bree - you are doing AWESOME!

Kim said...

FRIGGIN AWESOME! so jealous you were there to witness that!!!

Caratunk Girl said...

HOLY CRAP! That is so awesome - those guys are crazy fast. Way to keep rocking on the training!

Michelle said...

That is AWESOME!!!

IAN said...

As if Kiet's tales of touring the Big Rock with you weren't enough. This has me seething with desire to come visit you.

Regina said...

You know, I was just reading about this on someone else's blog. the tweet went out on this and then I get to your blog and BAM! there you are in the middle of these two guys and saw the whole thing unfold. Oh to be you.

Matt Curbeau said...

My Tri Coach Mary Eggers lead me to your blog and I am super impressed! Living and training on the Big Island How cool! And you know you just happen across Mr Lance Armstrong on a random training day. So amazing!