Thursday, February 4, 2010

Wandering For The Love of Whales...

Foto thanks to an amigo in Costa Rica...
.
Tomorrow I will wake up, ride my bike for a few long hours, then hop on a plane for 30 short minutes to the little island of Maui, all for the love of whales. I am crazy about whales.
.
I will never forget the first time I saw a whale in the real world (not Seaworld). I was surfing and this huge rush of water entangled me with a surge of calm chaos. It was surreal, almost good scary. It was right there, right in the line up with a scattered row of surfers. After surfing I ran to the store and bought one of those Hawaiian whale tale necklaces that some locals treasure as their 'aumakuas. That whale tale never left my neck, until Kainoa broke it off me, it was my reminder of how truly amazing this crazy beautiful world is, and that I had just fallen in love with a whale.
.
Well, Maui is home of the whales more so than the other islands, even though all the islands are flooded with whales each year. Maui holds a month long Whale Festival each year that raises tons of support and money to save whales. At the end of it people from everywhere run for the whales or race for them if you are in the mood to go fast up and down the Maui hills on one heck of a half marathon course.
.
This weekend I'm going to save a whale. I can't feel my legs, they are along the road somewhere from the swimbikerun that engulfs my life and habit all week long, however there happens to be a long run on my training plan for Saturday so I'll just do what any whale loving girl would do, I will run on Saturday for a whale and check off my long run at the same time. Seriously, life on a small chain of islands is full of fun like that. Hopping islands for a swim, a bike, a run, to visit friends, to see pineapples, to play with whales, its just so possible that you can't help but wander from one island to the next. This whale of an adventure is right up there on my "keep living life fully" plan so the shoes and not much more are packed...simple.
.
Watch out whales, here I come.
Bree

11 comments:

D said...

You know I LOVE this! If someone told me that every time I ran a marathon (or preferably every time I ran haha) an animal would be saved, I would run and run and run and run.

Have a great trip!

ADC said...

I agree with D. Amazing concept. We expect lots of photos.

Missy said...

High five a whale!

TriGirl Kate O said...

Oh my goodness, I didn't know. Maybe this is what my daughter and I should do for our birthdays next year--come run for the whales IN HAWAII!!!

Have a great time! Photos please!

Jill Costantino said...

That sounds so fantastical! Take TONS of pics for us to see! That photo above is incredible!
Have a blast.

manfarr1974 said...

What an awesome idea - I love it! Holy amaizing picture your buddy sent you. Cheers.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

You gave me chills!

CoachLiz said...

Wow! Have fun running for the whales. I'm with Tri Girl Kate O, I may have to make a special trip in February next year just to see the whales.

Monica Kvas said...

Aw, good luck Bree! I am also in Maui for the weekend so maybe I'll see you around!!!

Christi said...

Howdy Bree,
I took your ski bikini idea to heart and developed it into a crazy plan to help my sister-in-law. She suffers from Crohns disease and has really suffered lately. She lives to far away for me to help her peronsally so I came up with Bikini Ski 2010. If I can raise $300-500 for the Crohns and Colitis Foundation I will ski one run in my bikini!!! If I can... raise $1000 I will ski 2 runs. I would really appreciate a shout out to my blog in your blog. That would really help me. FYI, there will be photographic evidence of the ski runs! Thanks for the idea!

Kim said...

That picture in costa Rica is amazing! Loving your plan here you are doing a great job at everything and I'm so happy for you!! Have fun!