Saturday, March 20, 2010

Blown Away...

You know what totally amazes me, this crazy beautiful world. In the ocean, just when you think you are powering through the open water or holding your breath as long as the fish while free diving, mother nature comes along to remind you who's boss...just slapping you silly upside your head with a current that takes you back out to sea or a wave that rips your bottoms off. I had a few of those swims this week.

Then there are the runs and rides. You got all the water bottles set, some salts, a bunch of calories you think will save you, your fancy bike and those amazing shoes that seem light as a feather. Totally cruising...then mother nature serves you up heat like you've never experienced and again reminds you of the time you blew off your bike and that it will very likely happen again if you let your ego try to battle war against her. Oh how I so enjoy checking my ego at the door and welcoming whatever is going to happen-happen while training on this crazy beautiful island.
The morning started off with some granola, yogurt, and blueberries. From there it was meet up with Staci (she was the only one wanting to ride really long with me while everyone else gets to taper or play in tomorrow's TT). Anyways, a good breaky busted into "practice race day fueling". We had winds, rain, and heat. Other than that I didn't notice anything...not a whale breaching, a donkey crossing, or the dinosaur in the lava fields (really!!). Usually I see all that stuff but today I was playing "South Africa in Kona". After the ride we jumped off the bikes and ran out onto the Queen K for more wind and heat. It was a very long day that ended in bad tan lines and an ice bath...but it ended the way I hoped my long day would end, like I could go more mentally and physically...
Other than the very long day that I am now laying on the floor too tired to move from, there isn't much else happening, the baby is still in Brooke's belly, phewwwww! A week till Lavaman-that means one thing: time to roll balls for the training partners! Those lucky guys are tapering...I still got a few more rounds of swimbikerun to tackle before I even get to consider that...but I'm sure in a few weeks I'll see that magical 5 letter word...
.
Happy Training!!
Bree

6 comments:

Heidi Austin said...

my 5 lil word is a little to close for my liking....although i don't mind the taper so much. i think the race has me a lil freaked out actually :)

Coach Liz said...

The winds are really kicking up here today in Texas. I am imagining that these are some of those winds from the island that blew you off your bike. They finally made it across the ocean, a mountain ridge, a desert, and a lot of hills to make it to me. I am getting ready to run rather than ride. I don't want to get blown off a bike.

Charisa said...

Whoooop whooooop - you are so going to rock IMSA! :)

jackie said...

Love your blog. Wish I was in Hawaii everytime I read it. Could you please post the recipe for the recovery balls?
Thanks,
Jackie

Go Gammie said...

Heh Bree,

Glad to see training is going good. Guess you never ever get to taper for Lavaman though!! You will do awesome :) If I dont see you before the race, I hope I can spot you and give you a cheer as you fly by on the Queen K !!

Regina said...

Mmmmmm....coming to your house for snack time! I have your "balls' in my fridge as we speak. I'm still making them.