Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Po'alua...Tuesday.

I love Tuesdays so very much. They mean the world to me. The thing about Tuesdays in Kona is what island life is all about..."ohana". On this rock most of us have families that live in another country or state so we sort of created a family out of some good friends. Sometimes just Wendy and I show up, sometimes there are 20 of us. This "family tradition" is on year 2 and it only gets better. The same tacos, same beach, but always different nights with different sunsets.

It is beautiful in at least a million ways, island life at its finest...
Tuesday began just below the oceans surface. The morning woke me up to the popping sound of foam bubbles as we swam through the salty lovin'. Today was a float out and "zippy" on the way back. From there it was on the bike for a few hours of tempo intervals. It's my Tuesday middle-long distance triathlon!
The ride was so windy that the speed never really reached "speedy mph". It felt more like climbing a hill fighting the head winds, in fact, down one hill I reached 8mph, I repeat "down one hill, 8mph". It was like a hot fan blowing on you. The whales were breaching between intervals though so it really wasn't worth complaining :)

Off the bike I had a run in the Kona sun. Knowing I needed to zoom into a tempo pace I tried something new...I ate seaweed covered crackers. Off the bike I could feel that my salt was missing in action from my body thanks to the hot fan blowing on me all ride long! The seaweed is so full of sea salt I was expecting a quick miracle and I got one! A quick green mess about 7 miles into the run that was not enjoying bouncing in my belly. Oh Ali'i Drive looks so nice covered in seaweed! The run went really well though, it was a mind over matter thing and I was totally focused...
Today's training took 9 water bottles and 2 pit stops at water fountains. It is really hot in case you are wondering. When all was said and done I felt as if I crossed a finish line of a race and my award was getting Kainoa from school (I was actually 5 or 10 minutes later). From there.... TACO TUESDAY and now BED....
.
I love Tuesdays.
Night from Kona!
Bree

8 comments:

sallyaston said...

We have Taco tuesdays here too...the location isn't quite as beautiful but it's a good tradition, LOL. I am jealous of your warm weather, we are stil waiting for Spring to come to AZ!

Trigirlpink said...

Wear your sunscreen sister!

Christi said...

Great day of training! I am sorry to hear that the seaweed did not work for you but at least you overcame it!

Stacy said...

I totally feel your pain on the seaweed crackers! I tried that same trick on Monday night. Barely managed to keep them down, but my stomach was NOT happy. Lesson learned!

Bre said...

lick the salt/flavor off and leave the cracker! :) haha maybe not the most orthodox way to take in salt...but quick fix & the crackers can't make a second appaearance on Ali'i Drive!

CoachLiz said...

Sorry to hear about the seaweed cracker barf up. At least this was a training day and not a race day! I just munched on some Salt & Vinegar flavored Almonds before I head out for my run. I hope I won't see those again.

Laura Wheatley said...

hardcore Bree. keep up the good work...and the sweet kona pics!!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Sorry to hear the seaweed didn't agree with your system! That weather sounds super hot - I would totally melt.