Thursday, March 4, 2010

Recovery Week Balance...

I got a secret...recovery weeks challenge me more than hard weeks. Hard weeks I just dive in and go go go go go till it hurts, then I try to go more. Recovery weeks have me feeling like I am missing out, not on the miles of swimbikerun, but the miles of life I want to live! Life is so amazing not even a ribbon of beautiful words strung together can express how happy I am to be out there living it up! So... recovery weeks challenge me. A LOT.
.
This week I devised a plan, it's new and untried by me. Each long, hard, busy week is full of mentally and physically draining tasks that tax my body and mind. SO... I'm thinking recovery weeks need to "recover" both my mind and body. To do that I was thinking to separate my recovery week into 2 parts.
.
The first part of the week (Monday thru Wednesday) I would use for "mentally recovering". Just let my brain play and enjoy this island life I love. The hard part of that is being somewhat on the go, even though its not swimbikerun its not letting the body totally chill out, I'm too active...BUT the brain totally rejuvenates! Then I take Thursday thru Sunday for total body rest, as in no wild island adventures. Just movies, inside sitting, and reading, massage, ice baths, ect. Then the brain is unwound and by Sunday the body is too, and both are ready to dive into the next week.
.
So far I think this plan is working. When I tried the "total rest, no adventures" in previous recovery weeks I was mentally still a bit fried and bored to tell you the truth and that made my body stress and stress is NOT recovery. When I tried living it up during recovery weeks my brain was good as new but the body was not totally healed up...so this mix might work and it's worth the try. My mental Monday-Wednesday recovery activities after training included things like free diving through caves. It is so much fun! A little scary and you just don't know what is lurking in those caves and some are very deep. My pal Jason is a pro, he can hold his breath for 5.5 minutes and go 170ft FREE DIVING (he was invited to the US Dive Team if you are wondering). SO he took me to a cave about 15-20 feet deep, not so bad, but then you have to hold your breath longer to go through...oh I loved it! I wanted to go again and again and again! Then we found a cave way deeper and very dark! He sent me in and I came back out 3 seconds later! After that the deal was he would go in there and not come out till I came in for a "high five", of course I could not leave him in there waiting all day so I made my way to his high-five...it was amazing!

Other mentally refreshing activities included swimming with dolphins and looking for white tip sharks...don't ask how I get into these messes... I just do.
I also read surf mags on the beach, looked for whales, found sea shells and beach glass, climbed rocks, and built sand castles.
Manny made this picture, it was the day we went body surfing and I lost my bottoms in a wave bigger than my house. It was hilarious and all parts of mentally recharging the batteries surely took place Monday-Wednesday.
.
It's now Thursday and you want to know what I did all day long??? No longer mental rest but FULL body rest...I did nothing after my ride/swim. Not a darn thing. I sat on Cody's grandma's couch, then I sat on my couch, then I took an ice bath, then I sat more. Oh, I read a book too and went to the Jake Hamilton concert at church (more chill...). Tomorrow I will swim, have a massage, then sit and watch a movie (I got a movie night planned, lucky me!). Saturday and Sunday actually have hard training but will be followed up by sitting. Sitting. And more sitting. It's all about the balance...
.
NIGHT from Kona!
Bree

18 comments:

Oscarjet said...

jajaj last pic....
increible tu buceo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mamma mia !

Oscarjet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ADC said...

Wow, that free diving is sooo amzing. You are very brave. And so is your friend. Hope you are enjoying the recovery week.

CoachLiz said...

Ok, so when you lost your bottoms, did you find them or did you have to stay out in the water until someone fetched you some shorts on shore to pull on???

Crazy!

Enjoy your movie night.

Christi said...

I think your plan sounds great!

t-odd said...

WHY do I keep coming back to your blog? ;) It just makes me hate the snow in my backyard all the more.

I would love to go free diving. Did some in the Cayman's years ago and LOVED it. So many fun things to do and too little time.

Enjoy your rest week.

Regina said...

I love rest week. Not because I don't have to work as hard or as much, but my brain finally gets to take a break from trying to juggle the twice a day sessions, motherhood and working. Mentally exhausting.

I wish we could swim in the ocean NOW!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I free dive too. So far I have almost made it to the bottom of the bath tub..... I will keep you posted...

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I certainly value rest. On Thursday I ran 2.5 miles in 90F heat and then went swimming thinking it would be easy, but I felt so exhausted and dizzy, too. Could hardly bike home. Feel I need a week to recover from that. Enjoy your time off!

tinaparker87 said...

Amazing. Rest is good. Keep up the hard work. Africa is almost here.

Jill Costantino said...

ahhhh your recovery looks so beautiful! Next week is my recovery week and I plan to put some epson salts in my bath and colour the water blue and stick some nemos on the tub floor and throw my goggles on and pretend I'm somewhere else!
Enjoy your recovery!

Joel said...

To me, the really cool thing about your blog is not just the context you share about life as a pro sbr'er, but also the amazing pictures you take and the wonderful stories you can tell. THANKS.

I'm sure I speak for most when I say that I'm jealous that on your rest day, you get to build sand castles and hunt for sharks. :-)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Love your plan to mix it up and get all your needs met in your special Bree way!

Free diving sounds thrilling and scary!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

good job resting Bree! All the hard work will pay off, I just cannot imagine doing those dives without an oxygen tank, what if you run out of breath?? Wow, I guess its good hypoxic training for the swim in triathlons.

Old Triathlete said...

Great blog! I enjoy reading it. But we are buried in snow here in Iowa--TJ Tollakson's natural habitat. So your excellent photos make me envious.

greyhound said...

As an attorney and defender of the First Amendment, let me say that I have always been against censorship--never more so than in this particular case. :P

Jamie said...

Dear Bree,
You crack me up. Hope you had a great rest of your rest week.

That is all.

-Jamie

Samantha said...

Great pics!! Can't wait to get out there and swim with ya!!