Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Swallowing Waves....

Back at it today...South Africa FULL Swim (I mean swing) ahead!! Today started with a 2.4 mile swim. Lucky for me 17 of us were Ironman buoy bound. REALLY lucky for me the ocean was packing a full Hawaiian punch! It was one of those ocean swim days (or any training days) where you think to yourself, "If I can make this I can make anything". The ocean was wild. It was a massive current against you on the way out, choppy slop in all directions, and little surges that would tumble you like a spin cycle in the dryer.
.
We all made it to the half-way buoy and some of us let the sea sickness settle. My eyes were crossing and my breakfast was in my gut spinning. About the time everyone made it the choice had to be made: Go all the way to the Ironman buoy or not. Let's just say it was one of those days where possibly going is not really too smart...that said...14 of our 17 went back. Not because they were chicken, most are very strong open water swimmers, but because they were realistic. Dave and Mr. Alaska said they would go with me. It was like fighting walls of water all the way out, I never swallowed that much water in my life, and my goggles were being knocked off. BUT we made it, clung to the Ironman buoy and realized it took us 47 minutes. Dave can swim the IM loop (easy) in sub 50, he is one of those "swimmer people". He also had to do some back stroke waiting for me on the way out....
.
The way back took us 28 minutes, we rode waves back. One wave literally picked me up, lifted me on high, then body slammed me just inches from a shallow section of reef. I wasn't scared till I looked up and didn't see the boys but felt something on my feet. I was so scared it was a shark because I kept seeing (or thinking I saw one with me most the swim). The water was so dark and cold it just didn't have that calm Kona lovin'. When we made it to sand and the shark (well, whatever it was) didn't eat me I pretty much felt like no swim will ever be that insane again in my life.... This is the calm before the storm of that swim. Next up was a ride, in the wind, with good company. Finally my training ended with a run. Today was nothing short of chop, wind, and heat... however, it was topped off with "Taco Tuesday"... no complaints on that one.


OH, since today was a swim session to remember, I better remind you... July 16th is the Kona Aquatics King Swim. Mark it on your calendar now, its the best open water swim race (1.2miles) ever. Super fast competition, good views, great race director, and of course the Kona Aquatics team will be there to join...everyone is welcome, even first time swimmers. And since there are a TON of athletes in town for training camps, you are invited THIS FRIDAY to join our swim team in an open water workout. 7am, Kona Pier. It's guaranteed good times and 90% chance of dolphins joining us. See ya then!!
.
Bree

11 comments:

Christi said...

Wow, that was a scary swim! Great job on finishing!

PocoLocoMan said...

pretty sure I would have been part of the 14 that went back : )

Congrats on toughing it out..

Jill Costantino said...

You are a brave soul! PLEASE ask Wendy where the heck she got her shirt from it is AWESOME!
taco Tuesdays look like so much FUN!

Coach Liz said...

As rough as that swim sounds, I would have loved it.

Ange said...

crazy swim!!! Do you think it really was a shark w/ you??? yowza. Waves I can handle (well...I saw that as I sit here in Maine) but sharks, not so much.
Would LOVE to join you Fri from the Kona pier! I'll be there in spirit.

Michelle Simmons said...

I bet it was crazy out there with these nutso winds we're having! Glad you made it!

Caratunk Girl said...

Crazy swim, congrats on toughing it out. Sounds scary! Wish I could swim with you and the dolphins today.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I haven't checked in in a while. Way to go at LavaMan. Looks like things are shaping up for South Africa. We will be watching
Cheers!

Wes said...

gurrrl, you are still nuts :-)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

That swim sounds like the equivalent of the crazy bike ride you had a couple weeks back. And here I thought Hawaii was all sunshine and rainbows. Ha!

SSB said...

It was wavy and choppy from the wind at Ala Moana this AM (and in the pool last night). I can only imagine what it was like over there. I would have turned back. I can swim in those conditions, but it's never any fun for me.