Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Today's Beauty, Yesterday's Photos...

Yesterday was all about water... swim practice, ocean stuff, and hydration. I got dehydrated from my Sunday run and paid the price today, think "Bree needs fluids in her not her in water all the time". But all is good again and I'm over dosing on ocean water and salt. It's hot out. And beautiful. This is ocean swimming at its finest! If you can imagine the surge in the water, think of the surge in the wind! Today I was death gripping my bike and hoping not to blow into any lava rocks. It wasn't head wind, tail wind, or even cross wind, it was swirls of wind from every direction...


Yesterdays ocean was amazing, whales and waves. Today's Ironman swim was even more impressive. It began with a good group of swimmers and 400 meters later and octopus! I've never seen a real octopus in Hawaii, it was unreal!! Manny was timing the swim today (this wasn't a "float" but a real Iron distance "swim") but I could not resist the octopus photo... really it was worth writing home about...
That's me, the camera queen as I'm teased about... and guess what that darn octopus did, broke my camera! I think it must have been so ugly the camera died because after I took that photo it stopped working. Time to focus on swimming only. That lasted about another 400 meters and a pod of dolphins swam to us. Now I am so bumming about the camera, it wasn't 5, 10, or 15, it was a HUGE pod of at least 30. They were singing their mele and spinning up above the waters surface. They would circle around us and spin underneath us. My breath was taken and my heart was the most happy it felt all morning.
.
I tried again to revive the camera because this was something not even writing home about could manage to capture what a photo could! Manny told me, "Bree, just enjoy and forget it". SO I did enjoy...and I was living life in that moment radiating sheer joy. The dolphins swam with us the entire way to the buoy. When the 9 of us regrouped at the Ironman buoy they were all with us, more mele's, more jumping, more under water spins. They kept swimming to us as if they wanted us to pet them, we could reach out to them effortlessly. Never have I experienced drafting, being drafted, and swimming next to dolphins for so long.
.
The way back to shore was the same story. They stayed with us all the way to the 800 meter buoy. The only reason dolphins are known to travel with a group for that long is for protective purposes. They are curious creatures so its normal for them to swim over to humans, check it out, but then they go about their day. For them to stay meant only one thing, they were protecting us from harm. We are most certain it was the sharks that had them wanting to keep us safe. For sure this was the best ocean swim of my life and sadly no photos to share, but I'm pretty sure this memory won't fade without a photo.
.
Tomorrow is some running...KSWISS shoes here I come!
Night from the land of nai'a!! (dolphins).

17 comments:

Kiet said...

Uh, you failed to bring the dolphins to me when I was there. I'm coming back and I want dolphins Bree. And that camera broke and came back to life at least two times while I was there. Have faith.

ADC said...

I know I keep saying this but you do live in a paradise. Wow, the dolphins are clever.

DR said...

your photos are always so beautiful, they capture the life you describe in your text. What kind of camera do you use and do you photoshop/process them after?
Just wondering...anyways love your blog. You are so positive!

Chloe said...

So I have a silly question Bree - when you swim and take pictures (which I love!) where in the heck do you keep your camera?

Bre said...

Your post actually makes me want to swim in the ocean...I would consider swimming with sharks if I knew I would have a dolphin beside me! love the pics- so beautiful!

Christi said...

I love the story of swimming with the dolphins and to think you didn't have to pay for like some tourists do! You do live the life!

Ange said...

Bree...I have a question for you. But first, that water is stunning. There are many many memories I carry away from my IM experience there this past Oct but I Always find myself telling people about the waters of Kona. Fabulous. And remember, I am an ocean girl too so the water is not new to me. I live in Maine. It's STunning here but in a different way, very different. So first...one thing my hub and noticed out there was the lack of boats. I can't swim freely in the Lakes or ocean here (without guide boats) because of boat traffic. You guys dont' seem to have that.. Is that true? Why is that?
I can't imagine the winds you had...again I remember them on IM day and That was nuts so if it was swirling from all directions..look out. You rock.

Teresa said...

Beautiful Bree, glad you just took the moments in and cherished them! tn

miles99999 said...

That is friggin awesome (about the dolphins...and well everything else about the swim). Your friends are right, sometimes you just have to forget about the camera and enjoy the experience. FYI, I picked up a pair of K-Swiss Keahou II's, I really like them. I have you and Terenzo Bozzone to thank for that. Tell your sponsor your doing a good job.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Is that a humpback breeching in the one photo?
Best vacation next to an RV in Alaska was sitting on the deck of our 3rd story rental condo in Maui watching the humpbacks go by.... 5 years ago. (we saw the same humpbacks in Alaska)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Amazing. And beautiful. Words don't do justice.

And how wonderful that the dolphins were protecting you guys. I love nature.

Jamie said...

I'm so jealous of you swimming with dolphins, whales and octopuses (octupi?). I need to start saving for a Hawaii trip.

I'm with Chloe. Where do you keep that camera? That bikini looks a lot smaller than your others! Not much room to store a camera in there. Haha.

I do think you should try and get a camera sponsor. Fuji would TOTALLY hook you up with some free stuff for all the pictures that you take.

Dawn said...

Such a neat story, so amazing! Glad you enjoyed your day, even without your pics. What a beautiful life you have! :)

CoachLiz said...

Amazing pictures of the water! Amazing story about the dolphins! I would have been in swimmer heaven. Thank you for sharing.

damontucker said...

Bree -

I was in Kona a few weeks ago and you are another person I totally forgot about thinking about calling or hooking up with for a few moments.

I'm still loving your blog and thanks for always doing your best!

Next time I'm heading to Kona for a weekend... I'm gonna try and remember to look you up!

Jill Costantino said...

ahhhh - I love hearing of your AMAZING adventures! So glad you enjoyed!

Bria said...

I love this story!! :):) Your writing is so descriptive that I can imagine the dolphins without a photo. Wow!