Saturday, April 17, 2010

Aloha My Friends....

Midway through the packing, for a trip half way around the world, a friend gave me a packing tip, "Bree, just bring some ALOHA and you will be just fine". Loved the advice. I'm about to cross a couple oceans on the way to living out one of my dreams. It's a little baffling to me as I cross more and more things off my "must do in this life" list that I already have everything that I love and need right here at home, the rest is just something sweeter on the cake, or however the saying goes.
.
Needless to say, as excited as I am to go, a few tears have dripped down my face as the trip gets closer and closer. Last night Wendy and Jason took Kainoa and I to sunset dinner and gave me a book they made full of photos and our favorite memories leading up to Africa. The tears were flowing, that's what I call aloha...just feeling the love of the people that matter most...

Kainoa will be missed the very most. On my last long run I was lacing my shoes and he put his hand on my leg and said, "Mom, run hard, run really hard mom okay, you get to go to Africa". That was the coolest realization, he has an understanding of what mommy does and was cheering me on, and he is right, I GET TO GO, I've been blessed with this opportunity...

My swim team...from the "whambulance" jokes, to 6am workouts, kicking each other, stealing water bottles, pulling goggles, the support, the love, Coach Steve, the 5am wake up calls, nothing and everything in between, this is my family away from family and as Jason reminded me, each of them will be with me all day long till the finish line, no matter the outcome...

Taco Tuesdays...nuff said. Every Tuesday rain or shine, sunsets, good friends, and good food. These days have become the greatest. Sometimes it's just Wendy and me, once it was only Kainoa and I, other times it was half the swim team!
I'm almost all packed and yes it is a great opportunity I'm about to set off on, however this is no solo adventure. All of the training, racing, living, and loving moments leading up to the moment I jump on that plane are coming along for the ride.... um, the video works, just not very good...hit the arrow and it will play....well, for me it did...and FRIENDS, FAMILY, KAINOA, I LOVE YOU! Thank you for being the sweetness on my cake in life!

video

12 comments:

Mandy said...

I love love love the video! Good luck in South Africa, you are going to do awesome.

SSB said...

Great video! You are going to kick butt!

Chloe said...

Awesome post Bree! I've said for a long time - "I want to live in a place, where when I go on vacation to some wonderful location, after a few days I'm ready to get home" I guess we are pretty lucky :) Good luck!!

Jill Costantino said...

My FAV post - you are a truly blessed person! You have the most wonderful people in your life! love, love, love, love this! Carry it with you and KICK SOME BUTT out there Chica - a fantastic day is waiting for you!

Christi said...

Great video! I really love it when you guys were lip-synching! I wish you the absolute best in your upgcoming race!

Jamie said...

That is so cute that Kainoa is realizing why you have to leave him for training and has learned to cheer you on.

I can't wait for all your updates from Africa!

Marni said...

Great video!!! I LOVED IT. You are going to have a great race because you have enjoyed your journey...can't ask for anything better :)
-marn

D'Arcy said...

Bree - best wishes for a KILLER race in SA! We will be cheering for you loud and clear from Indianapolis!! Thanks for always been such an inspiration to me in my training - and life in general!
D'Arcy (& Chris)

Sherry said...

Awesome video!

Kainoa's comment brought the biggest smile to my face! I actually got my husband's attention and read that entire paragraph to him. Priceless stuff there, Bree!

Safe travels to ya!

ADC said...

You really are going to kick some a$$. I know I say this often but you have such an amazing attitude to life. It's inspiring.

Coach Liz said...

What a great video! I got a little misty eyed about what Kainoa told you before your last long run. It is little gems like that which make being a parent all worth it. Poop diapers, spit-up, vomit, bed wetting, naughty behavior all gets wiped away with little moments of unconditional love like that. You are such a lucky mommy!

Safe travels and good luck this next weekend!

Kiet said...

Bree, reading this, it reminded me of my mindset going into IM Oz. My last post was all about how I would carry everyone with me and how the race was so much more than just myself. Good on ya girl! Just make sure you carry me damn fast through that race because I love speed and how it feels through my hair, LOL!