Friday, April 2, 2010

Good ALOHA Friday...

This week has been all about "right spot at the right time". I've been working diligently on embracing each and every moment as they come and going with the flow....it's been a challenge as I'm easily allured by all the beauty in the world and soaking up every single sun lovin', fun filled, friend, or adventure that happens to tempt me. For sure being able to stay focused on each moment at a single time will help me in life and sport...I just wish it were easier for me to learn or maybe I should just be thankful that so many things still cause me to have a child-like wonder....BALANCE in the process...
.
Today I woke up from one of my favorite nights sleep and found myself in the ocean with Kona Aquatics. Moment by moment I was living. Everything on land was out of mind out of sight, this was swim time, just swim. Thinking about how each stroke is moving me forward and with each breath I'm getting stronger. Reaching, pulling, digging...no temptation to think about the ride to come or the mail to put in the box (I'm starting with baby steps here...even the mail gets on my mind when I swim).

.

In my swimming moments straight out of the best ocean dreams ever, our team was surrounded by a pod of dolphins, lots of them! They let us swim with them for as long as we could keep up. I know you're thinking I was "distracted" but this is what I call LIVING IN THE MOMENT! Really every single thing that ever has been on my mind faded into who knows where as we were swimming with dolphins (see above photo :)
.
Felt like I learned a little lesson in that moment. When you look, search, and hunt down the dolphins on those ocean swims they are just never found or they dont let you come within reach. BUT the moment you just live your life in the moment that you are in everything beautiful happens...like being in the right spot at the right time....


Okay so how does any of this relate to sport? I'm not entirely sure yet but I know I'm on the right path. Back when I got to meet with Terry Orlick (the worlds, in my opinion), best sports psychologist, he was trying to get me to this point. It went over my head big time. Even though I wrote every single word he told me and reread it, not much of it clicked. BUT lately I am putting his words into what is happening and hopefully sooner or later it will all just be understood, that fine line of being able to be in the moment completely yet being able to go with the flow as life sometimes gives you friends, mail, and dolphins will focus into the same view...make sense?


Tomorrow is another big day.... the biggest final weekend in prep for South Africa. It'll be long, hot, and full of sweat. The boys have been recruited, the mind has been thinking about it all week so I'm motivated. The rest of today...nothing. Just relax till tomorrows longest ride of my life takes place....
.
Enjoy the moment,
Bree

8 comments:

Teresa said...

Gorgeous photos and so much beauty in realizing that when you stop searching and just let things happen they do!

Good luck with the major workouts this weekend!

tn

Oscarjet said...

Me encantas BREE, eres genial!!!
Disfrutas de cada segundo!! nos gusta verte tan feliz y strong!
Animo para tu race!!!!!!
Carlitos 7 meses !!!!! esta muy guapo!! te mando fotos por email!
Besos y abrazos !!

PocoLocoMan said...

I am so entirely jealous when I see pics like the one with you and the dolphins. Don't feel guilty about that - that is one of those "lifetime moments"! Enjoying your countdown, as I'll be doing a 70.3 same day as IM SA -> helps with the motivation :)

Felog.net said...

Man, that is the coolest shot ever. I swim with ugly fish in the local lake. :(

Good luck in South Africa!

Christi said...

Good luck with weekend of workouts! I am sure you will "Be in the moment!"

Damie said...

awesome, awesome pic with the dolphins. I LOVE it. That is a forever moment.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

How wonderful to swim with the dolphins and experience those moments of being released from the chatter of the mind.

Have a great training week Bree!

Jen said...

Yep! That's you swimming with the dolphins (I'd know that butt anywhere!) :)
Beautiful, Bree.