Saturday, April 24, 2010

Who's Number 49???

#49, that would be me! Really I'm just a girl from a small town where everyone knows everyone and to anyone on the island I'm just Kainoa's mom who swims, bikes, and runs a lot. I like being that girl. The one that spends most her swim time chasing the boys of lane one and swimming after dolphins with the Tuesday 2.4 group. Some days I ride after whoever will pull me, ride with the girls in our bikini's, other days it's me and the IPOD going as hard as we can. I run most days alone. That's simply it. Nothing fancy. My training partners aren't big names with Ironman Champion titles or the best of the best labels (except when those athletes come to town and let us follow them). The Kona crew pushes me though, hurts me, believes in me, and dreams alongside me. #49 likes to jump off cliffs, surf, watch sunsets, camp under stars, cook & bake, paint, take pictures, read books at night, ride horses, snuggle, build sand castles with my son, and eat tacos on Tuesdays, that's #49 most days of the week...

Tomorrow though, I'm #49, Professional Ironman Athlete, racing in South Africa! WHOOOOP WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP! Feels like Christmas I am so excited, sure hope I can get to bed early tonight knowing all the fun waiting for me tomorrow!
The bags have been packed...swim, bike, run. Those bags drive me crazy, you fill them with all the stuff you think you will need to make it through 2.4 miles of swim, 112 miles of bike, then 26.2 miles of run. Then you hand them in and don't get to see them till race day (hoping you packed them really good).
Then we leave the bike overnight. That part I like...its waiting for me and in the morning I only have to get myself ready. Besides, my bike and I spend so much time together that a little break makes me miss him and want to spend 112 miles with him the next day.
I made a new friend today. (South Africa isn't ALL about triathlon). His name is Duma, I might take him home with me, Kainoa would really love a pet! I was asking him for run tips...I'll let you know tomorrow after the race how his advice worked for me.
This beautiful face, up close, petting and kissing distance stole my heart! South Africa exceeds my wildest dreams! All the animals, people, buildings, beaches, the history, foods, and culture have truly been an experience that's going to last me a lifetime. All Kainoa asked for was a giraffe, I found him one too...

Before I was a mom traveling was my world. Every opportunity I could grab hold of I would take. 12 countries and 7 islands later I still love it, but now my heart always has a tiny part missing that makes me homesick and ready to return as soon as I leave my house. Its really challenging to me even though I know Kainoa is in the best hands back home at his dads house or with my parents, he is my home. Thankfully this trip my favorite South African, Pam, made sure to spend some time with me and that kept my mind from getting to home sick...


Okay, #49 is in for the night. See that picture above, that was taken at 7am this morning, the exact time the race will start tomorrow morning...that very sunrise will get the day rolling. Seriously, what a way to start a day at the office! Good night from Port Elizabeth. AND thank you so much for all the cheers from all over this great big world. I'm truly thankful and have read the emails and comments with a VERY thankful heart! ALL the best to those racing tomorrow!! WHOOOOP WHOOOOOP!
.
Bree, #49

21 comments:

Christi said...

I will be runnning tomorrow morning but once I am done I will be tracking you! GOOD LUCK #49!

Roblynn said...

Man I get pre-race jitters just reading your post. The pics are beautiful by the way. Pura Vida!

Lisa G said...

I LOVE the pictures, especially the one of Duma! Best of luck tomorrow!

Oscarjet said...

Bree, estoy muy contento de verte asi de feliz y a punto de correr otro IM.
Corre feliz como siempre y te deseo la mejor carrera posible!!!
Come on number 49 !!! come on!!
Vamos vamos vamoooooooosss!!
Fotos ok!!!!! ;D
te seguimos desde GavĂ !!!!!!!

Kim Smith said...

Good luck tomorrow. Your blog is always interesting to read.

Teresa said...

#49 is so loved and adored throughout this world too. So much love and support....cheers to you and your race and to dreams coming true!

tn

t-odd said...

That is the most beautiful sunset! Have a great race!

Ange said...

I'm so excited for you and reallllllllly pulling for you!!! My boys and I will be watching and cheering for you all day here in Maine. GO BREE!!!! This is your day! And I can't imagine a better way to start a day at the Office!! INto the water with the sun looking over you...simply awesome.
GOOoooooo!

Libby said...

yahoo!!!!!!! good luck bree!!! so excited for you and i can't wait to watch you rock it out there!!!

donna furse said...

Good luck tomorrow, kick major butt, and think about how much Kanoia loves you and is so proud of his momma. YOur a true inspiration. Let it roll tomorrow.

Jill Costantino said...

#49 YOU ROCK!
BELIEVE!

Alex said...

Good luck!!!!

Caratunk Girl said...

Good luck tomorrow - you are so awesome! I will be thinking of you! #49 ROCKS!

Kelly said...

Bree...no luck needed. You have put in the time, you have poured out the sweat and tears. Your account is full, now go cash it out tomorrow!!

TriGirl Kate O said...

Go Bree go!

Nibbles said...

Best of luck, Bree! I'll be following you online!

Michelle said...

You are ready for a fabulous day #49! race hard and smile often:)

Dawn said...

Go Bree!! Way to chase your dreams and make them come true, and keep us wanting to do the same! Love reading your blog and being inspired all the way here in Chicago, even though we don't know each other. Thanks! :) Rock it tomorrow!

sallyaston said...

Your trip has been amazing already! Hope that race day is everything you want. Good luck #49! :-)

Kate said...

Congrats on the race! I love all of the pictures, especially those of the animals. This is really random but your stars and stripes running shoes are awesome! Are they available for everyday folks too?

-kate
fit-ink.com

BreeWee said...

Hi Kate.... I think you check this, if so, yes you can get the Kswiss American flag shoes, anywhere that sells Kswiss or KSWISS.com :)
Happy running!!