Monday, May 3, 2010

Must Be Monday...

This Monday was fully loaded...and I'm sure as I went about the day my face told it all, sort of like the faces of race day. SOOOOO, I'll use Philippines 70.3 race day photos to explain. Despite what everyone thinks about triathletes being "type A", time and time again THAT IS NOT ME. I'm more of a "life has SO much to do and see and explore and share and offer and smell and touch and taste and breathe and visit ...." and you get the idea, that's more me. To just pick one single thing and get after it leaves me feeling like I'm only living part of my life, so I try to get after 18 or 99 things at once, to fully live...I just like a lot of this world all at once.
.
Yesterday my friend was visiting and after a little chat with him I realized my approach isn't always the best, its sort of like I drive way too fast and never really get where I'm going without stopping for gas a dozen times. He was going home to do laundry, mop, and something else, not sure what...but it was so by Monday he had nothing to do but go through the week of work, paddle practice, and other obligations without the headache of chores to add to life.
.
I kept thinking about that and decided I'd get my laundry done too and pick up all the clothes on my floor that I keep saying I'll donate to the Salvation Army. I started, then realized I wanted to read before bed but have read all my books, a trip to Boarders was in store before it closes. Needless to say, I landed at Boarders for a while and by the time I got home it was bed time.
.
Darn me, I got nothing done, unless you count the book store. Monday would be the day, just before bed I made a giant list with 22 things to-do on it. Things I've wanted to do, like donate clothes, paint, send Mother's Day cards out. Then I added the things I must do, like laundry, send bills, post office, bank, groceries, mop, ect. And off to bed I went.
.
Picture above, that was my facial expression this morning...it was a face that said, "I can do this, I will do this, 22 things to get done all by 3pm when I pick up Kainoa, I got this, I'm up for the challenge, start them all in one day and finish them all in one day, Type A (I was going to put the head down and try that style).
Then I got this face...I was off to swim practice and my bike ride (those were on the list too, its my job and it had to get done). That face says, holy cow, 20 things left to do before 3pm...I might need back ups, I'm still motivated, but man this is like 2 weeks worth of chores and mini-projects I want to tackle...IN A DAY...less than a full day...by 3pm...

Sometime after 1pm I got this face...it's the,"I see the finish line" face. I'm pretty sure my breath was held all day long just trying to tackle things. In typical Bree Wee fashion I laughed at myself when I discovered all the kitchen cabinets open while unloading the dishwasher, my bills and check book laid on the counter while stamping envelops, on the phone with coach, and putting a week of groceries away all at once. Honestly, and the washer and dryer were going, of course with some Hawaiian jams in the back ground, (I'm really surprised I wasn't trying to read my book too). I was nearly done with my list, it wasn't checked off one by one, it was more of one here, one there, 2 at once, but they all were getting done and I was feeling so happy, like the world was counting on me and I saved the planet (or just saved the to-do list).
At exactly 2:41 I was looking like this! The face of a girl who won the Ironman, or the heart of the man she loves...I crossed the finish line, I mean crossed the last thing off my to-do list, and had 19 minutes to get Kainoa. I'm now relaxing to the sound of rain and Kainoa playing...the rest of the week is smooth sailing from here on out...it's all done after a fully loaded Monday...
.
Cheers to tackling your to-do lists!
Bree








9 comments:

greyhound said...

You know, it's weird: I don't get half as much done when I lack a big race and a training plan on the schedule to help organize my life. I'm sure you can relate.

Sherry said...

I can relate to this post in so many ways that it's scary. I have no real focus. I get completely distracted by things that are way more fun (reading, research, my fur-kids, my little herb garden, the birds outside, blogging *gasp!*) than groceries, vacuuming, dishwasher, etc... I will often put off the 'chore list' for as long as possible and then, just like you did, try to get everything done in one fell swoop! A very hard workout indeed!

Great post!

Melissa said...

I'm with Sherry, I can really relate to this post, thanks for sharing it with us!

I love the first picture on here, it's very raw with emotion, and honestly, it's comforting to know that even professionals get "that look" on their faces before a big race. It's so real.

Jill Costantino said...

YAHOO! I LOVE having everything DONE before the weekend and then truly getting a weekend to just PLAY with whatever life brings our way:) Great pics Chica!

Charisa said...

I always pile WAY too much on my to-do list. But I also get a ton done and cram so many fun things into each day, so I think it's all good :)

Caratunk Girl said...

LOL that is so me! Every time I try to work on a list, I see something shiny I get distracted and start doing something else. I mean, it all gets done. Eventually. Hope your legs are getting better.

tri4mommies said...

The more I have to do, the more I get done!! Multi tasking is what makes my world keep spinning!!

CoachLiz said...

I have been lacking focus BUT my house will get cleaned by Friday, my workouts will get done, and I will finally send off my Polar to get the battery fixed. I have been puttering around on that one.

Arland said...

I love how I managed to get my left arm into that last picture! :P