Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Watch For Chickens on Napoopoo...

Oh yes, today was the day...Napoopoo hill repeats. I love riding South so much, it's beautiful, it reminds me of what Hawaii must have been like a hundred years ago. It's so much fun and so untouched in certain areas. But it ain't easy riding where it's breesy...
.
Today I recruited some of the guys who aren't in taper mode going into Hawaii 70.3 (Honu), they are the ones that wanted to suffer and hurt and push on because like me, Honu isn't our "A" race. Getting into the groove of training through and focusing on my goal races is getting easier. I'm learning to race a little fatigued, learning to race as strong as I can with what I got on the day, and I'm learning to look at the bigger goal and let the smaller pieces just sort of "happen" and go with them as best as I can...so we rode...up a big hill...3 times....
The way to the hill was all sorts of "be strong" moments, as just getting to the hill is a climb out of Kona. Then we get to the hill and have to ride ALL THE WAY down, (my least favorite part). The view is just lovely, however no time to admire it because random chickens love to jump out all over the place and when flying down a hill on a bike you better be on the look out for those or you'll become lunch meat with them! Going back up the hill we rode tempo pace, super strong and smart...knowing it was 3x I had to be wise not to go too hard, but didn't want to play "Sally Save-Up" and save till the last round, it was all about balance today.
The deal was...feed the boys for keeping me company. SO... all you could eat breakfast at my house was the paybacks for the bike training company. Kiet and Ville totally earned it riding with this crazy girl today. THANK YOU A MILLION BOYS! And of course, swim practice into the evening...what a way to top off a Wednesday. I've got about 16 hours more to go this week. The body is in one piece, feeling feisty, feeling strong, feeling a little sore in some places but all good at the same time, (its the good sore). More food, more sleep, more feet up between training sessions and I'm gonna make this week happen without coach kickin' my @$$.
Happy Training!! Oh and if you need avocados or mango, they are handing it out down south, free to a good home, of course I filled my jersey pockets and carried an extra 15 pounds of fruit home on that ride...well worth it!
Bree.
.

7 comments:

Caratunk Girl said...

Hey, send some of those mangos to Maine, would ya? :)

greyhound said...

Not sure all that food is necessary for you to attract a swarm of sporty boys. Just sayin'

Regina said...

I have been living on avocados and mangoes since they are in season now. yum!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Careful with the chickens... I can't imagine hitting a chicken at 45mph on your bike...

IAN said...

Awesome. The line about pushing through and racing not tapered is my current mantra as well.

When I come we ARE riding south and stopping at the Coffee Shack on the way home. That place is incredible.

Joel said...

Reading your posts makes me more and more envious of you. Florida's got nothun' on Hawaii. Except in FL, you have to be careful not to hit VULTURES...

:-)

CoachLiz said...

The chickens flying into the road in front of your bike made me laugh....for us in Texas it is squirels. Those pesky squirels have a death wish. I have seen a handful that have given up the gig on someone's front wall.