Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tuesday in Idaho....

This is the swim course... it is so beautiful in a very different than the beachy-beautiful that I'm used to. My entire morning was saved by the Hutter Family. Sue and Chloe pretty much made sure I didn't end up in Canada, Montana, or Washington by giving me their GPS and plugging in any and all places I might want to go while I'm here. Swim start, my home stay, the natural food store, places like that. Except for the fact an island mix I burned was jamming in the car, driving is SOOOOOO different. One area has no lane dividers and believe it or not I was in the middle of the street or the other side of the road! Not to mention I drove right on through a stop sign (with Sue's daughter in the passenger seat, so sorry about that....). It's getting better as I slowly found this is not a one-loop-around-the island type of driving place, it has freeways!
.
Back to my swim.... the swim was incredible...incredibly cold & beautiful! My hands & feet were instantly numb, however I could feel my face. Go grab an ice pack and hold it firmly on your face, that burning feeling, that's what it was like. The air temp is amazing though, I never got sweaty today but was never cold (out of water that is). Really, its gorgeous. I'm finding that so many places are incredible all over the world, it just depends on the eyes & attitude you decide to look with....
This is the view coming down the hill from my home stay: Crystal & Brian Rounds. Let me tell you how incredibly blessed I am to be with them, VERY! They have totally welcomed me with open arms, like when I showed up at 1:30am this morning! Truthfully, the only thing for me to personally struggle with, other than my homesickness for Kainoa, is this insane dark/light thing! I am ready to sleep (it's 8pm) but it looks like 4pm outside!


Coach told me to ride a loop today and hilariously used a word I have not heard in FOREVER! "Bree, think of it as exercise, "EXERCISE", not a workout or training session". Exercise? So funny, but he was serious. Today's ride was just to learn the course, get a feel for the rolling hills, loosen up from my flight, and get the blood moving. In fact I was sent out with company. Gabe (A local pro cyclist) was my tour guide. Without him I would have been so lost! I was picturing myself calling the Rounds, "Hi guys I'm lost, somewhere near the cow skulls".
.
The ride was so beautiful! I'm most certain coach sent me out on an easy loop today knowing I would have been awe-struck and googling over the views, he was having me get it out my system today rather than race day. Everyone here is beyond kind...like the people on the bike loop who set up an aid station in their front yard for the athletes out there training all day, the Hutters & Rounds, Gabe, Vertical Planet Bike Shop, everyone...thank you!
Okay, it's 8:15 now.... it looks like 4:15pm. I'm going to pretend its dark out and close my eyes. 5 more sleeps till race day, by then I'll be sleeping like a champ with the sun still awake!
Good Night from Idaho!
.
Bree

18 comments:

SSB said...

Good luck this weekend!

chr15 said...

Yes ditto.

Have a great race and smile :)
I'll tell my friends who are racing to look out for you!

Lauren said...

Go get 'em Bree! I love your blog and am so excited to follow your race online this weekend! YAY! Have a great week and big race day!

Regina said...

It looks lovely there. that lake looks so inviting as I sit here sweltering in the heat and humidity.

Exercise..it is funny, until you mentioned that, I haven't heard that word in a long time either.

Go get 'em!

celmore said...

Good luck!!! I will be cheering for you.

Looking forward to hearing about your race.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I knew you'd love it! And that self-serve aid station truly embodies the spirit of the locals!

Caratunk Girl said...

Good luck this weekend Bree! You are going to do awesome! Stay warm on that swim!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

You did know what a Yak looks like, didn't you???

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

You did know what a Yak looks like, didn't you???

Sue said...

You are always so proud of Kona...we are always so proud of CDA...both a world apart with each its own beauty... you entered our lives for a reason..this i truely truely believe! thanks for the bottom of the Hutter barrel for you being you..xoxo in a big way

CoachLiz said...

How AWESOME is that aid station one of the locals put out??? They have thought of everything! And it is FREE!!! There are special people out in the world who go out of their way to make our day special and remind us that there are angels that walk with us.

Enjoy some more adventures today!

TriGirl Kate O said...

Love seeing it all through your eyes. Thanks and have a good time "exercising!"

tinaparker87 said...

Race day is getting closer! Wish I was there to see you. Best of Luck Bree.

Heidi Austin said...

good luck bree. go get em! hope it's not too cold there and looove the aid station. those people rock~

Trigirlpink said...

So glad to hear you are all settled and getting a feel for Idaho. Great pictures!

greyhound said...

Don't be fooled by the air temp. You're sweating like crazy, but it's just much drier than Hawaii. Drink up and then rock the course.

Slow Rider said...

Sunday is your day ! Cant wait to here about the super spectacular special Sunday Win!!!!

Kona-California said...

looks beautiful!
Good luck