Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Little Swim, A Little Ride, A Little Shave Ice...

Woke up to plumerias invading my nose, its my most favorite smell on Earth! Woke up to Kainoa kicking me in the head, its okay when he jumps in bed with me at 3 in the morning, reminds me of what motherhood is all about!
.
The morning was a swim out to sea with the girls in bikini's and the boys along for the ride. Drenched in salt water and covered in sunscreen, it was so good to wake up to the sun over Hualalai and tip toe back into my life on the island. Ever so gently taking things a day at a time towards the next goal and doing what I love to do along the way.
.
From the swim to a ride. Just a little easy spin, nothing more than "enjoyable" pace and girl chat about what was shakin' on the island while I was away and stories of the potatoes I enjoyed in Idaho. Truthfully, I miss it there. Really. Never in my life imagined loving a landlocked place but I did. In fact, I took a run along the lake my last day and was so in awe at the things my eyes were seeing, so much in awe I even said, "If I had to live here I could and I would enjoy it". Not that I want to move, I'm just saying, that place totally took me by surprise.


After my work day and Kainoa's school day it was time for our shave ice date. Just sitting on the sea wall watching everyone play in the ocean, talking about big kid things, like what he drew at school and how he thinks its better to have 2 straws. Ahhhhh, the sweet life. Of course my day was filled with some tri-business too. Lots of planning and thought collecting to do. I even managed to look through all 463 photos my home stay dad took of the Ironman! Oh those were fun memories, but this one says it all...
Those that know me, like really know me. know when my tongue comes out of my mouth like that I'm deep in thought. It started in 2nd grade, my music teacher busted me and noticed I only do it when I am lost in thought or focusing in such a matter that the world around me is blocked out....
.
This was when I was thinking so hard about how to shut the stuff in my head up. Never managed to silent it all, usually I look around me-that's why I smile and wave, its my distraction from my head. But this day I couldn't even look around, I was too deep in thought...usually never go to that place when I race, it makes me too tense. Anyways, found a super amazing sports doc on the island. He's way legit, worked with all sorts of pros in all sorts of sports, he's from Germany and a professor at the University. I am begging my way into his office, fingers are crossed he agrees to take my case. I love sport so much, its my passion and its something I want to do my best at, whatever that may be, but Ill never know my potential if my head gets in the way of what my body does in training.... fingers crossed this man wants me...if not I have a couple other docs I think I can work with.

Alright, that's it for the day... GOOD night from Kona,

Bree :)

7 comments:

Christi said...

Good Luck! I am sure you will get the mental part fixed and continue to storm through the triathlon scene!

Jill Costantino said...

You'll get this "stuff" figured out and then watch out world!
That early morning kick has got to be the best kick a parent could have. keep on keepin on Chica.

PocoLocoMan said...

Best of luck to you, Bree. Maybe you can channel some of the "just doing this for me" thoughts you enjoyed before turning pro. And remember that you can kick the butts of 99% of the people reading this : )

Kat said...

I raced on Sunday in CdA and was hoping to qualify for Kona. I qualified last year in KY but my work schedule didn't allow me to spend part of Oct in HI. So, I cleared my Fall 2010 schedule and did everything I could remember doing last year. Hoped for one of the top 4 slots in my age group and ended up 17th after battling all day against my stomach and the heat. I was feeling really down on Monday until my boyfriend read your post to me. Thanks for pulling me back up. I'm inspired to try again and your words of wisdom played a big role in that. I've been a big fan and will continue to root for you. I believe!! Kat

Regina said...

The mind is a tough battle you fight alone, even with the help of a pro. But it is winnable. I've been there is a different capacity. Just know you can beat down those demons in your head. Your life, by example, is an inspiration to many people, don't let your head convince you otherwise. Good luck.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Sure hope you get in with that doc - he sounds perfect! Happy to see you back on your beautiful island. You look SO strong on the run!

CoachLiz said...

Keeping my fingers crossed that you can get in to see this German sports psych prof.

You know, two straws really are better than one.