Thursday, June 10, 2010

Me & My Little Huaka'i....

One of the local paddler boys gave me a new quote for my huaka'i (journey) in sport...or life. It goes something like this: If you focus on the goal and not the process, you inevitably compromise. Businessmen who focus on profits wind up in the hole. For me, profit is what happens when you do everything else right. - Yvon Chouinard
.
So very fitting at this point in the season. Most all my friends have secured their Ironman Hawaii slots and to me the question goes, "Bree, Ironman CDA, you have to get yours?!" Of course that would be really nice. Funny thing is, coach and I haven't even had the "Ironman Hawaii" chat this year. We have had the "you must get your confidence back", "you will learn to run off the bike", and a handful of other steps I will take on my journey to my ultimate goals, really, it's been all about the steps and perhaps living in Hawaii I'm not chasing Hawaii, I am here...
.
I have a good friend who recently retired from racing. The pressure of meeting goals finally got to her. It's sort of sad to see so much talent just stop all because pressure got in the way, truly the only pressure we have is that we put on ourselves. Yes racing is butterfly filled, a nerve wrecking moment waiting to happen at times, and scary when all the hard work has to boil into a single race...however...after reading that quote so many times, it really is all about the journey. Just doing all the little things along the way to the goal as best as we can, if we do that we lose nothing. What is within our control is all we can control.
.
Last night I had a little chat about this with Hillary Biscay, you all know her, she has raced more than anyone ever in the shortest amount of time and seen it all, faced it all, and done it all. She hit the nail on the head when she told me, "sometimes we have our best race ever in our lives and it's only good enough for 4th place, other times we have a horrible race and end up winning the thing". SO very true...
I've got a few dozen goals for my triathlon career, ultimately to be able to continue to reach my potential and have this as my career for several years. Near the very tip top, I'd like to break into the top 10 at Hawaii, nobody from our state has ever done that and it would be amazing for that to happen for someone, anyone from the islands and I'd love to be the one to do it. So knowing that is my gigantic goal, Ironman CDA would be a lovely place to earn a qualifying slot so I can gain more experience racing in the World Championship, but that pressure will not cause me to make any compromises, I'm focusing on the process and swimbikerunning my way there day by day, step by step as best as I can. That said, everything is going smooth along this IM CDA journey...and I'm enjoying it all so very much and learning even more...

And...my little blue eyed boy still thinks I'm the fastest mom in the universe. That definitely keeps me motivated! One last thing, if you live in Kona, don't forget to drop your old shoes off to the The Club in Kona, (to Peaman), as he is continuing to collect them for high schoolers who need shoes. Well, it's nice to know this journey also puts shoes on a few dozen girls every year courtesy of KSwiss :)
Keep on keepin' on. Celebrate the good days & moments and let the hard & bad ones be lessons learned. Just don't stop till you get where you want to go and enjoy the way there!
Bree

18 comments:

Jamie said...

Great quote Bree. You've got some smart friends.

Worry about the things you can control, let go of the things that you can't. You'll get that Kona slot one way or another. You'll deal with that once you get there.

Until then, focus on that run and splashing around out in the ocean.

Kelly said...

I love that whenever I come home from a run my son asks me if I won my Age Group. Hold onto that childlike faith that Kainoa has in you!! It is worth so much.

Bruther said...

If you just step back and look, maybe log onto this page and read it, look at it, like all the others do, as an outsider, there is no way you could be disappointed in what you are doing, where you are and how you are living, Ironman Hawaii or not.

t-odd said...

I love this post! Reminds me of the Tao te Ching - "Do by not doing."

I had goals going into Honu, but when I got there I had to readjust and even then it was a struggle on the run, but those struggles are what made the experience so memorable and, in hindsight, so much fun.

Enjoy the process. It's fun to watch.

Ange said...

You have no idea how much I needed to read this...from someone like you. I am not a pro but this world means a ton to me. And I devote nearly all of my free time to training. I care. I care so very much for many personal reasons. When you put your heart and soul into preparing phsyically and mentally for a race--and then you screw up---it's just not easy to swallow. I messed up a race last weekend. It was still good enough to collect some prizes--but I did not race to my potential. And it was my fault. While falling apart--I almost let the pressure of it "all" get to me and I almost made the decision to step down from this sport.
I'm better now...but it IS the Journey. And we love the journey don't we!
I appreciate hearing that others struggle to make that ONE day/Race day--the perfect day.
So..thanks Bree... I needed this.
SO excited you're racing
Coure d'Alene. wooooooooooohooooooooo
(and yes, our children's eyes and pride in us make it alllllll better dont' they!)

ali said...

Love the racing comment and I will be in CDa also. Good luck to you and hope I see you!

Jill Costantino said...

Great post Chica! I LOVE watching your journey - you inspire so many people along the way to reaching your goals and most importantly you are inspiring a little blue eyed boy who knows his momma's talents the BEST! Have a SUPER weekend!

TriGirl Kate O said...

That quote is very applicable to almost every facet of life. I will share it with my husband who is in the process of finding a job. (Know any retail companies in Kona that need a CEO?)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Awesome quote! Thanks for sharing and reminding me to live in the moment!

triitagain said...

My son always think I WON the race, even though I am back of the pack. I guess little boys just can't imagine anything better than their moms. Happy training!

Stacy

Catching up with Jessica said...

Such a powerful post, Bree. I will reference this often when I get back to racing. Thank you.

Libby said...

awesome girl. the reason why I love your blog so much is that you keep what's most important close to your heart and you don't get caught up in the pressure. Just keep loving the sport and loving the training and giving back as you do and the goals will come to you. we all know you have the talent and the path is already laid out for you! the more you focus on having fun, enjoying the journey and loving the sport, the closer you will come to meeting those goals!! and we are all here to cheer you on! go bree!!!

Fish has Legs said...

Good post. I need to hear that today.

Christi said...

You are going to reach your goals because you are fighting the fight! Keep up the positive attitude and the hard work!

sallyaston said...

Hey Bree, a while back you posted a recipe for energy bars/balls that contained Spirulina... can you post/send me the recipe. I finally got the ingredients together but cant find the recipe. Thanks so much! sallyaston@msn.com

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

You'll get there. Just don't over think it.

Get MEAN!.... GRRRRR! (hope that made you smile)

goSonja said...

Oh bree,
thank you for this one. I just finished writing a similar post of sorts, but yours is more elegant...of course! I'll be in CDA too, with similar goals, only as an AGer. I'm now thinking calm thoughts for the both of us. I know we both LOVE the journey...but the goals can be overwhelming too. Hang tight!!

Dawn said...

Love reading your journey... with all your training, focus, and staying true to who you are. It is amazing at how our children think the world of us when we race - it's what makes it all worth it! Way to keep inspiring Kainoa... what a lucky little boy and mommy, you have a beautiful life! I did my first Tri Sprint last weekend and had a blast... thought of you in my swim, kept me going (as it was hard, I'm not a great swimmer) and I finished feeling good! Thanks for inspiring us!! :)