Friday, July 2, 2010

Eha...That Means Four...

Kainoa is officially four! All yesterday he asked, "Am I four yet, how about now, now am I four?" This morning when he woke up I was hiding, when he found me I screamed, "Happy Birthday you are four!", he had the best smile...ahh, the simple things. It was a mello birthday that began yesterday with sunset and rolled into today with pineapple cake on the beach....


This week has been a lot of Kainoa time. Not that I needed him to have a birthday to remind me how thankful I am to be his mom, but birthdays bring back all the years you share with someone. Like this morning waking up and remembering four years ago being in the hospital feeling like a truck ran me over, wanting to sleep, sore boobs, and a loss of words to describe day-1 of motherhood. Then year one, eating more sand than food & learning to walk, year 2 learning to swim and surfing with his dad, year 3 spelling his own name, trying to read, and finally putting on his own seat belt. This year I'm sure will have its own beauty...
As for training, I dove back in head first. The load has been super light, mostly just ocean time. Nothing of any real push or pull, just getting back into the groove, mentally refreshing and for me some regrouping. Half way through the season and its time to regroup. So I did.

I do all my best thinking out in the ocean. Today I skipped swim practice in the pool and swam out to sea alone. No friends, not even dolphins. Just a long swim where the darker the blue water the clearer thinking became. By the time the swim was pau my heart was convinced it had a goal, a plan, and nothing more (always missing fine details). That meant maybe coach would have to hear about the plan and guide me, he was game on, I think my plan was what he was hoping to hear from me but didn't mention it in hopes I'd find my way on my own and reach out to him when I was ready. The ocean always gets me back on track...
.
Okay, gotta leave you all with a song....its one Kona is playing A LOT on the radio, its sort of sticking in my head at the moment and fits life at the moment too, in some tiny way...One Day. And finally, thank you to those that take the time to read these rambles and thank you for the notes, emails, comments, and reaching out, it has meant a lot to me this week and I have read some of comments a couple times over and printed out some of the emails as they have truly been a big help...thanks!
.
Most Happy 4th Of July weekend,
Bree

12 comments:

Furacán said...

@/%&@#*^*#!! i can't see the song because in my country it's blocked due copyright :-((
Kainoa it's just a man, 4 years! time flies! happy birthday for him!

aloha!

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

On birthdays, our younger son Morrison will celebrate his 21st in Kona on the 26th of this month, but on his own since the rest of us cannot be there. A pity, but that's the way it goes. Hope you continue to feel revitalized.

Robert Lejeune said...

Nice song :)

Happy Birthday to Kainoa!

Have a great day.

Trisaratops said...

Happy happy birthday to your little man!

And I agree--best thinking is always done in the water. :)

ali said...

Thx for your blogs- enjoy reading them!

Regina said...

Happy Birthday Kainoa!!! My son turned 4 in March and is already planning his 5th birthday, ha! Not so fast kid!

Glad you have the sea to heal you, it sounds lovely swimming that far out. Even just reading about it makes me feel calm.

Jolene said...

Awesome cake and candles, momma!

Christi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christi said...

Happy Birthday Kainoa!

Go Gammie said...

Happy Birthday to Kainoa, Happy July 4th to you!!! Angela and I both missed you at the Vancouver Half Iron this year, you are such an inspiration!!!

Dawn said...

Happy Birthday to your little guy, so cute! Glad to see you back in the ocean, and it helping you find your peace. I heard 'One Day' at the fireworks show here in IL last night and thought of Kona (a place I'd love to visit one day). Happy 4th!!... and thanks for always reminding us to be happy with the beautiful things in life! :)

SHERRY said...

Belated birthday wishes, Kainoa!! :-) I love the sparklers on the cake!