Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Ka Hoku Kai....

Training today had me feeling & believing like a star fish! While the star fish takes a beating in it's ocean life, often loosing their legs (most have 5 but some have as many as 23 legs), those legs of theirs grow back when knocked off, bitten off, cut off, or wave smashed! When washed up on shore missing legs, most people look at them as ugly or damaged.... but given time they will be as beautiful as new.
.
After a few bike & run filled days my legs feel like the damaged starfish looks. Believing in this starfish truth I knew today's hill repeats would only cause my legs to grow back stronger. SO with every burn and tingle that shot through my legs I forced out a half-hearted, half-grunting sort of smile. The hills were the South Loop Special chasing one of the better cyclists of Kona, he was nothing short of "wave smashing, ocean tumbling, sand flushed" hard on my starfish-wanna-be legs. When all was said and done, coach said to get off the bike and run into your "goal IM pace" as soon as you can get into it. When that run was done I saw some stars!

Thankfully Da Poke Shack was ready to serve up Kainoa and I some of it's massive 19 grams of protein per serving shoyu poke! My muscles were burning until we ate a few of these bowls at a time, (of course flushed with rice & nori). I think Kainoa was a little full of fish in this photo :)
.
It was a long day. However, something about the simplicity of island life made it all the better. On the way home from swim practice Kainoa looked out at the ocean just as the sun was setting and tells me, "Mom, beautiful means something you want to keep looking at". I was so impressed with how much he appreciates the little, simple things. Now he is asleep and I can hardly stop looking at him all peaceful. Beautiful.

As for famous people, yes there are a handful of pros still swimbikerunning through Kona, however, more exciting was this man, enjoying Shaved Ice! ha ha, thanks to Hypr Nalu Hawaii (our favorite Shaved Ice/Water board shack) in town. That's Steve Corell if you aren't sure....
.

Night!!
Bree

7 comments:

Nibbles said...

What a great comment by Kainoa. Such a perceptive little fella!

Chad said...

Did you get Steve's autograph? You should tell him you're famous, too.

Jolene said...

I learned something cool about opihi that's similar to the starfish... When they tried to grow them in tanks in the 70s, the scientists were baffled why all their shells were FLAT on top and not pointed. They learned that they had to replicate the strong currents of the ocean/waves in order to get them to clutch the rock and thereby, strengthening those muscles so much so- that they pointed upward. Neat, huh?

Debbie said...

Love that definition of "beautiful." I get the same feeling when I look at my son.

Caratunk Girl said...

LOVE the comment by Kainoa!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Did you walk up to Steve and say "Do you have as much trouble as I do keeping the autograph seekers at bay?"

CoachLiz said...

Kainoa is one keen little boy for his age. I wish I had that kind of wisdom.

Very cool sighting of funny guy Steve Corell.