Sunday, July 11, 2010

Papaya, 10k, Ocean Swim, & Oakley's!


Amy, Hillary, and I cruising with the owners of Bike Works
.
3 Cheers for Bike Works! Today was the grand opening of Kona's Bike Works "sister" shop, Bike Works Surf & Sport. It's awesome, just a frolic from the beaches of Anaeho'omalu Bay. To celebrate the grand opening they did what Kona ALWAYS does when it's time to bring the town together...put on a race! It was the first ever annual 5 & 10k. Only thing is measuring the course was the last thing to finalize and it ended up being the longest 10k of my entire life! They claimed it as 6.5 miles, some runners Garmin-ed it just under 6.5, whatever the distance the thing it had in common with all the island races was the heat & wind, and it had Kona coffee at the finish line, iced. Not a coffee drinker so I can't tell you if it was any good...
.
That was my morning...running the 10k. It was fun as ever to do "just a run race" and start in shoes rather than having to put them on in transition. Tried to pace well, got carried away, hung on mentally (thanks to the exercises for my mental training), and crossed the line as the winner of hot pink Oakley's. I'm in no way, shape, or form sponsored by any sun glass company so I buy mine from the surf shop, they are cool colors and I get the "local beach bum" discount.
.
Well, today the 10k winners won Oakley's-$200 dollar shades. I offered them to my friend Wendy because she LOVES Oakley's and well, truth be told I like my hot blue surf shades. However, Ian was there to stop me, he said, "Bree, you wear shades that look like you belong playing in a sand box". Haaaaa haaaaa, that was awesome. Soon I was convinced to keep the Oakley's, I'll tell you more about them in a minute....
You know what's hanging on my bathroom mirror... a little saying, "Thank you Lord for the potential that you see in me and the blessings that you've given me". I took it from local Big Island boy Ryan Hiraoka...it's in his song "Live Everyday". listen to it for me. This song is like my life theme song, to just live everyday like it's the last, appreciating it all up, family, friends, the simple things... I love it so much. So very much.
.
Today after the race we ran a little more, then ocean swam, then played at the beautiful beaches Anaeho'omalu Bay, had lunch, then I rode my bike, in the Oakley's...just wait another minute for the Oakley story. Anyways, when the day was said and done I looked up at the sky and thought, "yep, I lived the day all up, enjoyed the good parts, laughed as much as I could, dealt with the harder parts (like missing Kainoa while he's at his dads), as best as I could, and when looking through my photos of the day, I realized it was a "job well done" in living my day to the fullest, with the talents I've been given & the life I've been blessed with.... here are just a few of the 83 pictures I took in my life today...
Amy wondering if we should swim or walk back (we swam from the Bay to Ship Wrecks).
On a mission to score fresh coconut juice :)
Swimming through shallow coral on the way to the beach...
How amazing! What a beautiful spot on Earth....
Honu.
From the swim to the sand...
Family. My little sister and her son after the race! Congrats on your run Brooke, so proud of you momma! AND thanks Nick for being so supportive of her and your son (and for fixing my bike again today).
Now for the Oakley's.... just before sunset I had a little recovery spin to ride and still stubborn and not convinced the new hot pink shades were any better then my so called "sand box shades" I decided to try them out. For starters they made everything kind of "spark". Then it began to rain and they did NOT fog up on the inside. I was liking them. Then I had to dodge traffic on Ali'i and when turning my head left-right-back-left they never slid off my face or slipped to the end of my nose. Okay, like them more and more. Now it's nearly time for sunset and you know what.... I could still see...it was like a "special polarized" lens that made everything more bright even in nearly night. I'm sold...they are cool. Maybe I'll actually wear "real bike shades" in my next triathlon. Thanks Bike Works for the great prizes and saving me 200 bucks on something I would not have bought and now love...oh, Ian also claims if a rock hits me in the eye they won't shatter in my face the way my sand box shades would. I hope never to find that out, but I like that idea too...
.
Okay, time to hit the pillows, tomorrow is another day to live up to.
Good night and CONGRATS again to Janet & Grant on your new shop! LOVE IT. And to my sponsors & coach, thanks for letting me enjoy all the local races too....
.
Bree

8 comments:

SHERRY said...

What a wonderful weekend! Congrats on your win (and your prize)!! :-)

My DH swears by Oakley. I buy cheapie shades b/c I'm scared to death about losing/crushing/stepping on/smashing/etc... a $200 pair of frames. I totally agree with you though, the Oakleys do provide a certain "spark"! Maybe I need to suck it up and invest. I would be nice to have shades that don't fog up.

Have a great week!!!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Now me, I wear dollar store glasses in races. Mr. Thrifty (my kind name) because inevitably I lose or break glasses and if it happens every race, I can race in 200 events before I get to the Oakley price tag.
But spoils of racing..... SWEET!!

Dawn said...

LOVE my Oakley's! Have had the same pair for 4 years, still going strong. Congrats on your win, how fun!!... and way to go on your OW swim PR! Thanks for inspiring!!! :) You have a beautiful life!

Furacán said...

Thanks for the song, I enjoy discovering new artist of others places.

I love your life philosophy.
Be happy AMIGA.

Anne said...

Hey I won sunglasses at a race this weekend too. Sure there are only $40 Ryders but i didn't know what I was missing either!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Thank goodness for Ian! Oakleys are magic Bree and I'm so glad you've discovered them!

IAN said...

And they look way better too! Glad u kept em. Miss you and the Island already.

Kimberly said...

There are definitely spots on earth that every person should get to know. Water as clear as this one in your pictures is not found often. I once swam through the corals like you did when I was in Argentina. I remember I got an apartment for rent in buenos aires that was super close so I used t do it every day. the colors you see are surreal! Loved it,
Kim