Thursday, July 29, 2010

What Color Is Kentucky?

Today the trip to Ironman Kentucky was put into action, the highlight was booking flights for 2! My sidekick is going on vacation to the land of horses with me. Let's just say he will get a "Summer Vacation" with a week off school while enjoying the green grass state. It's fair to say he will be a fish out of water, however the island boy is ready. In fact, he brought home this painting from school today. It's a Kentucky horse. He asked me what color Kentucky is, well, if he calls Hawaii blue then green is a safe bet for Kentucky, I think.
.
I'm thrilled to return to Kentucky. I've got awesome memories of the grocery store there. Not for the food, but the entertainment. I also loved the bike loops, they were beautiful rollers surrounded by fields of green, barns, and horses. I remember the crowds all asking if I was still alive and if I needed a beer. I remember the run-hot. Oh, and for the start of that run I had one of the lead bikers who guided us along the course, when I began losing my stomach and he turned around to check on me, he hit a curb and launched over his handle bars, that was pretty memorable too. The swim was warm...warm, um...warm...I think I'll leave it at that. Getting to swim in the giant aquarium that is home to me I better just appreciate the warm water and be thankful for no wetsuit, for racing it might be a good thing that the view wasn't as lovely. The crowds were amazing and worth returning to, the volunteers & race directors kept things going smooth for all of us...it's a place I want to return to, not to mention it's close to my Florida family so they will be there too!! When the choice came to IM Canada or IM KY it took just a few days and my mind was made up and I'm happy with the choice all the way around.

Training lately has me totally focused on Kentucky, I even got lucky enough to ride into a nice herd of cows. MOOOOOOOOOOO. I'm crazy about the Iron distance, its a race I want to figure out despite the fact it keeps humbling me. Being as I don't have my slot into Kona yet it's not like I have anything to lose by making the trip to Kentucky, because you can't lose what you don't have. So here I go, with Kainoa by my side, on another adventure...
.
Happy Training :)
Bree

8 comments:

Laura said...

Adda little bit of red to that brown and you have the color for sure! Good luck!

Furacán said...

Green, brown... and cows. It's like my country!
Good luck and enjoy!

Lisa G said...

Yay, that is so exciting! Kentucky will be a blast and you will have a great race!

Meredith said...

I'm so excited to have you zoom around me on your second loop of the bike when I'm still on my first. :)

Christi said...

Kentucky will be your race!

CoachLiz said...

Best of luck in Kentucky Bree!!! I am so excited that Kainoa gets to go with you.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Good choice... I think this course is custom built for you...
See you there.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Triathlon and horses - a great match! I'd love to ride through pastures filled with beautiful thoroughbreds! You two will have a great time.