Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Climb On...

The things in life that challenge us the most are the things in life that make life worthwhile. So once again it looks like I'm taking a big climb up the side of a volcano, but not because I am "wanting" too, more because I have to be true to myself and this is something that challenges me beyond belief and causes my life to feel "lived".
.
This weekend is meshed full of good races. The Sea To Stars 50 mile climb up Mauna Kea (the worlds tallest mountain) on Saturday & Mana Road 10 miler on Sunday. Both are challenges to me as last year Mauna Kea kicked me all over and once reaching a certain elevation I nearly fell of my bike in dizzy fits, not to mention island girl froze, and well I threw up about the time a boy in front of me fell off his bike trying to go straight up the thing. It hurt so good, when I was done the pain vanished and I was all smiles, giddy, laughing, totally thrilled that I looked fear of biking that beast in the face and made it up.
.
Mana Road is a beautiful trail run, kissed by elevation again, crowded with cows, cool breeze, and off roadish. Clumsy me is challenged when I get off pavement or beach, but I love it. Coach asked yesterday, "Bree, what race gets you more excited, I dont know if I like them back to back, so honestly how do you feel?". I told him, "The run race excites me, I want to race it, to run strong and go for that. The bike ride already has me hurting, dizzy, barfing, and makes my quads want to fall off, for me that race is all mental, just have to get up it and LOVE 17% grade climbs sprinkled throughout 50 miles". He told me to give him an hour and he would let me know. I knew he would let me do the run, I want to race a good run, and at that moment I was so happy thinking I might get out of the climb "because coach said no" would be a good excuse when the boys ask why I'm not racing this year.

An hour later there it is...in black and white. The climb on Saturday. "SEA TO STARS". At that point I decided to just embrace it, think on it, love it, prepare. SO I took the road bike in to get my cassette changed and lucky ocean blue bar wrap on my bars. He said with my Ironman coming up it would be a good long day on the bike, working a steady effort, nutrition, pain. I agree, totally. My request to the boys... like last year, A RIDE DOWN PLEASE!? SO once again Ill come down the hill like the above photo, feet up and warm!

The above photo is the last 6 miles up. Its also the "cut off point". You have to be there by 6 hours or no going up...it's sort of fun riding at 2 miles an hour in some spots, the idea to walk your bike never crosses your mind because if you decide to get back on there is no way its happening, its like trying to get on your bike while its pressed up against the wall. I told the boys I'm ready to "tick tack". They reminded me that's 80's term for a skate board move, I forgot what the bikers do, post man or mail man, whatever it is, I'm already ready, blue bar wrap and all!

As for the run, oh I got so lucky! I get it too! The day after I get to go run that one...it will be the perfect place to practice running on bike-fried legs and making it count. I'm ready for a fun weekend. And if you are wondering... YES I plan to sneak the IPOD onto that ride. It must be filled with songs to get me up that beast, in fact, I already know one song I want on there, make fun of me all you want: When I see you smile, I can face the world, you know I can do anything.... that song will be on there, and Ill get my @$$ up the volcano laughing to some 80's song...."Sometimes I wanna give in, I wanna quit the fight, then I look at you and everything's alright"... ha ha.... this will be good. I got a run song too.... it helped me through today's run intervals...Come on pretty baby. In fact this new challenge of no IPOD and changing up my music to more Mello, calm, find a relax spot in training, actually helped a lot with this song. Running was GOOOOOOOOOD today. Okay, time to climb, go face some more challenges that make life worth living...

Bree

10 comments:

Christi said...

Good luck on your adventures this weekend!

Nibbles said...

Good luck Bree! Please post a full report :-)

Tim Kasparek said...

lovin that picture of kainoa! the ride sounds pretty darn sweet as well, best wishes.

Kim said...

Nice Bree! All that fun this weekend! You are MORE than ready. Go to your happy place and enjoy every second. It is these days that lead us to the person we know we can become! You can do it!!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Sounds like a hard and fun weekend! Embrace and enjoy - good plan!

tinaparker87 said...

Great weekend Bree! Full details are a must. Team is riding a 30 mile time trail Gorlietta Bay Coronado on Sat and Sun Tecolote Canyon.

All the best!

Dave said...

Fun fact: That was the last song on the CD we gave our wedding guests as a favor, so no making fun here. :)

Good luck on the climb!

CoachLiz said...

Oooo, I remember this ride from last year. All the best on both Saturday with that climb and on Sunday with the fried legs. What is the elevation gain on the ride again?

You are going to do awesome!

weddingdresses said...

The Power Balance bracelet is made of pure surgical grade silicone that is extremely durable. Its stretch feature optimizes users' comfort level. It comes equipped with two, visible power balance holograms and this sporty and stylish bracelet goes with everything.

Specification:

Silicone Power Balance Wristband Bracelet
The band made of 100% silicone rubber
With 2 visible hologram disks for balance power,waterproof.

power balance said...

Bid on Power Bracelet now! Find Bracelets. New Colors & Sizes. power balance wholesale Guarantee & Secure Ordering.Power balance USA, Canada, UK Free Shipping. Rosetta Stone allows headstones to provide genealogical and historical information about the deceased directly to cemetery site visitors.