Thursday, September 16, 2010

FAR Out...

Today I swam FAR out to sea! Well, to some it counts as far, for me it's short...today it was far for me. All the way to the King's Buoy...that's half the Ironman course :) Call me a cry baby, pure joy & bliss caused me to shed tears upon this exciting swim progress! Never mind how long it took, I can safely say I am now to the point that I KNOW I will make the swim cut off...you think I was kidding, honestly Monday it was questionable unless I could ride the dolphins! In fact, a nice search & rescue squad on Tuesday asked if everything was okay, "ahhh yeah, super, just swimming." They may or may not have laughed...
This beautiful day was my double run day, these are my most favorite days of training. My favorite thing done twice! In the morning it was calm, peaceful, even a little chilly for Hawaii. It was the usual locals heading to work and honking on their way. It was a day to collect plumerias as they dropped from the trees and just be thankful to be running...
.
Then the swim.
.
Then my evening run. The evening run was hot but exciting. Yes there are TONS of triathletes in town now, they stand out, so slim and so focused. One guy and I literally brushed elbows and I smiled and said "hey" and he moved to the side like I had cooties and carried on without even a smirk... wow. Maybe he doesnt like running in Hawaii or is afraid to look like he is having fun of any sort, "Dear God if you are reading this PLEASE never let me run as if I have a stick up my butt, amen".
.
No worries, there were more exciting runners out tonight... some MMA guys! There is a big fight on Oahu this weekend and I saw a few out training today. Those guys excite me, a lot. They are pretty big and sort of look like they could kick your @$$ right there on the street, but then they give you a shaka and a high five and say something like, "yeah girl" or "Nice Bree" or "gotta love it". Its great... that's what I love about this town, most the people take the time to appreciate whatever it is, wherever they are, and whoever is near...

22 days. Then it's race time and I am excited. Love this race and this place. Safe travels to those of you on the way over...the weather is beautiful & the ocean is warm! See ya on the rock!.

Bree

9 comments:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Some people are just WAY to serious about this sport (I have knowledge on these things you know.... look how many Kona slots I have).

You should have told the guy you ran into running, "you know who I am??" "I didn't think so" "I'm the girl who stayed in the Holiday Inn Express last night.." (I guess you need to watch the commercial to get it)

greyhound said...

You know, I don't think dolphins are prohibited by USAT rules.

I don't think mermaids are mentioned either.

Just sayin'

Deborah Moore said...

People like that should have their Kona spot taken awy from them. They forget what a privilege it is to (a) be in your beautiful town and (b) be able to do all this swimming, biking and running! Heal well Bree.

Jill Costantino said...

YEAH - LOVE this post! Woohoo! 22 days till the Big Dance - you've got this:)
Flip turns are over rated, you get water up your nose and you really never use them unless your race is in a pool - which I don't think Kona is?
Keep on Keepin on Chica!

Kiet said...

I'm surprised you didn't make it a mission to get a smile out of the stick-up-your-butt runner and charm him with your ways. I'm sure more of his type are coming so you'll get plenty more opportunities.

Andrea said...

22 days? Girl, you got this in the bag!!! If you can make progress from 400m to half the course in a week or two, then the rest will be a cake walk.

Chin up and heal swiftly!! :)

TATI said...

see ya in 9 days :D
hope u heal 100%!!

Oscarjet said...

vamosss bree !! vamos ! espero que este ya recuperada !!! siempre sonrisas....
;D

Oh yeah, it's Mr. Francisco to you said...

Glad you are better :)