Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Goal: Buoy 6

My Ironman training is in progress, that's the good news. The progress is not where I would like it to be, that's the not so cool news...but at least I'm moving forward. Imagine a pineapple in a tree, (we all know they don't grow in trees), then it falls out of a tree and smashes its right side, that's pretty much what happened to me, except I'm not a pineapple and I didnt fall from a tree, I just dont want to tell the story because it's really ridiculous and laughing causes me to hurt REALLY bad. In fact after 2 days of not being able to laugh or breathe thanks to some pain, and having to ice my right boob till I couldn't feel anything I decided I better see a doctor.
.
Some xrays showed my right side ribs bruised and some muscle strains, lovely. Happy they aren't broke but for some reason they hurt as if I'm trying to birth a baby from my rib cage! Yes I cried about it because Ironman is so close and I'm sort of side-lined. However, I'm still holding the slot to race so I will get there and do the race! Training is tricky, I've got the green light to keep going as long as I don't hurt... that's like telling an alcoholic they can buy beer as long as they don't drink it... I hurt so bad.
.
Anyways, yesterday I asked a friend not to hug me for fear of smashing my ribs and sure enough he body slammed me, that's my training right now. Today my big goal was to make it to the 6th buoy (really I wanted to make it to the dolphins). The 6th buoy is a total of 400 yards round trip. I made it 50 yards in screaming pain because I can't pull any water. At that moment I wanted to swim deep under water like I always do, to the place I hide when I don't like feeling pain on land...except I couldn't make it more than a couple feet below the surface because my body couldn't catch a breath the deeper I went. Never do I take my ocean swimming for granted, ever, I'm there everyday at least to feel the sand on my feet or see a sunset, and today all I wanted was to go deep and I couldn't. The tears filled my goggles and I turned to my back and kicked to the 6th buoy just letting it all go, trying not to be tuff for a minute and not thinking about Ironman training.
.
Once to the buoy I looked out at the big ocean and how bad I wanted to go swim for dolphins, then I looked at the shore knowing I should kick back and not hurt myself worse. At that moment my mind was made up...this will not be the Ironman training I was dreaming of BUT I will still train and still race and each day I will get better so I just have to stick with it till things feel normal...till then, new goals, like the 6th buoy. Coach and I have ruled out pool practice knowing I can't flip turn or even swim yet, so the goal is to make that buoy there and back, then make it more and more and more... Sort of feels like a little kid allowed to go to the waters edge but not get in the deep end... I am in the shallow end...and I kicked all the way back to shore...
On the bright side, back stroke in the ocean has some cool views. Above is what it looked like with your face underwater, on your back, looking up... love this and I'm sure if I wasn't hurt on my back I would have missed this view all together (by the way that's a palm tree in the right top corner).

.
From there I had a ride. No pain sitting up, the aero bars were okay if I rode like that in small amounts, and standing up over a hill was out of the question as my right side could not support my body weight. It felt awesome to be on my bike, it does not feel awesome now that I am off my bike, now my body is yelling at me for more ice...
.
Okay, tomorrow...try for that 6th buoy again. I'll keep you posted!
Bree

23 comments:

SSB said...

Did your bike fall out of the trainer? And you fall off it? That's sort of what it sounds like to me. One of the gals over here who is training for Kona broke 3 ribs that way.

Heal up!

GoBigGreen said...

Oh Bree! So sorry, and you are not alone. I broke ribs back when i was playing so much tennis, and it hurts like H - E - double Hockey sticks. TRy to keep the intercostal mm moving and loose, you want to guard it but try to use some moist heat as you sidely on your left ( The not sore side) over a few pillows.
Hang in there!

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

I'm so sorry you are hurt! When I was pregnant I tore some cartilage between my ribs and it hurt soooo bad! It hurt to breathe! I hope you heal quickly!

Dawn said...

So sorry to hear you got hurt. Love that you are still out there in your ocean. ;) Hope you are able to take it easy and heal soon. Hang in there, these things happen... you are always inspiring me and many others, so just know that! :) Take care!!

Oscarjet said...

Vamooos Bree ! recuperate pronto Amiga y mañana a por la 6ª boya !!!
espero noticias de tu recuperacion !!! abrazos desde Gavà !
;D
p.s: Carlitos cumplio 1 AÑO !!!!!!!!!

ADC said...

Oh Gosh, I hope you get better really soon and enjoy your fun day in Kona in October.

Christi said...

Bummer! I am so sorry to hear about your injury! I will keep you in my prayers and send healing vibes your way!

Nibbles said...

What a total drag. Sending good vibes your way!

miles99999 said...

Bruised ribs definitely suck, you're probably looking at about a week of pain and then gradual relief. I recall breathing as being really painful, thus you are pain pretty much all the time. As for the story....YOU HAVE TO TELL US WHAT HAPPENED!!!

Furacán said...

Come on Bree! 3 months ago i have something similar. I can't sleep with the pain!
Positive actitude is always better. I hope you recovery soon!
kisses but not hugs today!

Libby said...

oh bree!! I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason and honestly, maybe this will hold you back from too much training so your body can recover more before kona. there has to be a silver lining, you just won't know what it is until later on. life is funny like that. The good thing is that you did it so soon after IMKY, you still have some good healing time coming up here. think positive thoughts as we all will for ya and listen to your body, even when you want to scream back at it!!!! (screaming back at it makes you kinda feel better, I've done that alot this summer sitting on the couch with a hip stress fracture :) )

Lucy Francis said...

oh Bree, when you mentioned pain in your chest boob I thought of soemthing more horrible starting with a C..... Thank God it is nothing like that! and there are no broken bones...you'll be fine:-)

CoachLiz said...

I hope this was not a fall off of someone's skate board. Take it easy and do as much as you can with a positive attitude. Yes, be thankful that you did not break those ribs.

Until things are back to normal, no Steve Carrell or Will Farrel movies.

phoebekeeran said...

HEALING in Jesus' Name.
You are so loved, and i pray for rapid healing, but most of all deeper revelation of His love for you. That is your real power and endurance source. His grace runs (swims and bikes) with you!!!
Love,
Phoebs

Chad said...

Get well, you little weirdo.

beth said...

Bree! No...you're poor ribs!! I second what Libby said- she said it much better than i can. you will be fine i know it. this is good- holding you back so you can really recover from IMKY, right?

sending healing thoughts!
b

beth said...

Bree! No...you're poor ribs!! I second what Libby said- she said it much better than i can. you will be fine i know it. this is good- holding you back so you can really recover from IMKY, right?

sending healing thoughts!
b

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Bree, I told you not to combine mixed martial arts with triathlon. That is only reversed for guys over 190 pounds like me.

Now heal up and stay out of the ring...

Beth said...

Oh bugger!! I've had rib problems twice and I know just how bad it hurts - especially with the swimming! (running was no picnic either) Anyway, they do heal up - just be patient! (easier said then done I know!) Thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Oh no. Get well quick - sending lots of healing thoughts your way Bree!

Bruther said...

Please say it wasnt a surfing accident

Sarah Giacomarra Schrader said...

I can feel your pain, the pain in your heart, not your rib and my only thought is that it doesn't matter. You heard me right. It doesn't matter because YOU WILL PERSEVERE!!
Maybe it won't be the perfect IM training but when has life ever been perfect...and yet you still persevere. Keep your thoughts positive, in your head and your heart, so when your body is healed you will be READY TO ROCK!

Kona-California said...

Bree,
Get better soon...this is a blessing in disguise...you will come out stronger and even better! stay focused and keeping setting goals....

Good luck on recovery, training, and the event!
Aloha~