Sunday, September 26, 2010

Just Another Day In Plumeria Land...

Every single day, no matter what, Kainoa picks me a plumeria. He expects me to save them all too, pretty much my life is covered in new and wilted plumerias all the time. Today was just another day where I'm greeted with a plumeria from my favorite 4 year old in the world. However, it sort of felt like high school too, and I'm at the nerdy table.
.
I'm not complaining about the nerd table, I loved sitting there with my friends, we were an awesome bunch. However, we were not the coolest table, the smartest table, the fittest jock table, or the popular kids. Right about now town feels like high school all over again. Except this is not the lunch table it's Alii Drive.
.
The fastest in the sport, some of the most jock-ed out fittest bodies I ever saw, the famous names, and the cool kids are all up and down Alii Drive. It's very exciting and very much the same feeling you have in high school when you walk into the lunch room. I don't think it's a good or bad thing, its just a thing, naturally you just sort of tend to sit at the table with the people you mesh well with and Alii Drive is similar. I spotted some very fit looking men, shirtless & tan hauling tail running in a pack, they belong at the same table for sure! Then I passed by some girls with big boobs, huge smiles, laughing, the cutest matching outfits I ever saw, and eyes popped out with jaws open looking at the finer looking men, they looked like a lunch table that would have made fun of me in high school. Then I passed a group that had the compression socks up to their belly buttons, the Garmin, numbers written on their hands (I think it was pace info), shades and a hat, and more sponsor logos then I knew existed (the smart table???). Of course some of us were running solo too, just doing our own thing, my point is, town is very much transformed and it felt like I needed a lunch table to belong to.
.
It's a strange feeling and I know it gets to some, as I'm discovering a few of my friends won't leave their house to train until the crowds go home, that's like not going to the lunch room in my opinion. Other friends are out there soaking it all in as this is such an exciting time on the island, as I find some are so confident in their own skin that it's no big deal. I got a cool saying from a friend, "At the end of a chess game the king and the pawns all go back into the same box, life is the same way, at the end of the day we are all human". So totally true...
.
While the lunch room, I mean Alii Drive is full of this sort of athlete and that sort of athlete, we are all like that game of chess my friend was sharing a quote about...when the Ironman day gets here we will all be in the same box (I mean race), the king and all the pawns. Thinking on it that way makes it a little less intimidating when the speedy king (Crowie himself) speeds past you.
SO today on Alii Drive I was back at a table, not with the pace info on my hand, not in compression socks, not the topless man hauling tail with a pack of fit good looking guys, not the girls that were matching, (clearly that was not me and I could use tips from them on looking like I picked my clothes out with my eyes actually open), I wasn't the one just cruising out into space happy to have qualified (however I am totally stoked to have qualified, but I wasn't cruising, today had focus all over my face), I was the one in the giant orange hat representing Kona. My lunch table was the Kona Gold girls, while I'm the only one in this group that has actually ever done a triathlon, (they are marathoners), the local Kona girls, born and raised have taught me a lot about being confident in my own skin. That was my table, just doing my last long run the way the girls of Kona do it, simply running...
.
Holo Happy,
Bree

15 comments:

Oscarjet. said...

Con Kainoa no te hace falta nada mas en el mundo !
Te escribo un email !

Bre said...

I love reading your posts-- just the honest truth and so down to earth. Loved reading this- totally can relate to the lunch table and the feeling at a race/training of not quite sure where you fit!
Besides you don't need a lunch table...it's your home!
Happy tapering and can't wait to watch the race :)

Kiet said...

Ha ha ha! In high school, I was the guy that transcended all the lunch tables. I floated between the nerd, jock, outcast, mods/punks tables. I remember this bad-ass punk with a mohawk in my art class telling me that if anybody messed with me, he would personally take care of them. You transcend all lunch tables Bree, I have yet to meet a person who doesn't fall for you when they meet you.

PocoLocoMan said...

I remember being invited to a lunch table in Cozumel when I was by myself... Guess you're the kind of person that makes sure nobody else feels left out. Great kind of person to be, in my book.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Funny stuff, I love the high school lunch table comparisons... so true I'm sure. Hope to find out for myself one day.

Jill Costantino said...

Great post Chica - I bet your lunch table had the MOST FUN and the most Real! You are going to ROCK Kona in pure Bree fashion.

Lucy Francis said...

it must feel so strange seeing all this people on your island! If I was there I'd love to be at your table, most definitely. take it easy and remember you know the course better than most as it is your "training ground"! how cool is that?

Andrea said...

Like! This applies to more than just Kona - it applies to any race!

Good luck lady! :)

Stephanie Boeckmann said...

this is awesome bree!!

Stephanie Boeckmann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie Boeckmann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue said...

Such a good story, a must read for a girl i know:) one of the reasons that i never wanted to be the best at anything, or the worst at anything, i just want to be good and in the middle in my life, found its the best place for me to be:) Ok, so one time i was the best, like in 6th grade and man could i run:) Not sure if this makes sense, but i am just me and it works:) xo

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Wonderful reflection Bree. Totally relate.

Dawn said...

Loved reading this... something everyone can relate to. Just remember, Alii Drive is your cafeteria and you are going to rock the Kona table! What a beautiful and simple life you live, so happy for you. Happy tapering!

weddingdresses said...

The Power Balance bracelet is made of pure surgical grade silicone that is extremely durable. Its stretch feature optimizes users' comfort level. It comes equipped with two, visible power balance holograms and this sporty and stylish bracelet goes with everything.

Specification:

Silicone Power Balance Wristband Bracelet
The band made of 100% silicone rubber
With 2 visible hologram disks for balance power,waterproof.