Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Lane 8 With BJ Penn...

(standing at the end of lane 8 with the lane 8 crew)
.
so PJ Penn was not at swim practice, but he is in my head, a lot. I'm just about finished with his book and it's been such a good read during this rib drama of mine. PJ Penn is my favorite MMA fighter, (and not just because he's a Hawaii boy). Anyways, it's motivating me to be strong even after throwing punches and missing, after getting down but then getting back up, after this horrible pain...
.
Today the long ride went well. It was super windy and my single side balance tried to toss me off the road, but I managed to stay upright and now give AMAZING amounts of props to those that race with only one arm! WOW. Impressed is an understatement after a tiny taste of what you endure every time you ride. Coach and I have a plan that I have to put the race wheels on now so I can practice with the bit of a dish that catches more cross wind than my training wheels-because if I'm struggling with trainers and this sloppy balance imagine the race wheels-wowsers....
.
Back to the pool, tonight I got the green light to get back in the pool. You know me, always looking for the bright side, so I was thinking I'd be lane 7, maybe even 6 if I can flip turn. Well, loved my attitude, but I was much slower than I was expecting and landed in lane 8. I was 7 lanes over from my usual lane. In fact, lane 8 is our only lane that has no send-off's, its the learning to swim lane and that was exactly what I was doing, learning to swim all over again.
.
Coach Steve taught me all about ocean swimming years ago and now he is teaching me all about swimming with a bummed up right side. Before practice even began he helped me figure out a stroke that would limit the use of my muscles on the right side, basically I just let the arm drop without pulling any water. Our goal is of course, to get me really moving in the water again, but first I have to be able to move at all without hurting myself worse and feeling that obnoxious pain. Once I got the hang of my new stroke I was good to go...it was a slow go, but I swam.
.
I tried the flip turn, it hurt. But I dont think its making me any worse so Ill try again on Friday and everyday after that till I can do them again. It was nice to be back in the water with the Kona Aquatics family and my lane 8 lane mates were wonderful. As much as I love them though, I plan to keep moving across that pool as best and as quick as I can. Like BJ Penn, I'm going to just keep fighting till I get there like he did when he wanted to win that gold in black belt BJJ in Brazil! Oh, don't think it was all punch throwing though, honestly I did cry a couple times, it was hard and frustrating...but it will get better every lap I swim!
Other than that... island life is getting to look a lot more like an Ironman is invading the place. This beautiful little island is losing it's "small town feel" fast. Exciting as it flows with a lot of opportunity for the towns people as it brings in good money and of course it will soon enough bring a lot of people across a finish line to their dream come true....
.
Hugs from Hawaii! (but don't hug me hard, soft on the right side, please)
Bree

7 comments:

ADC said...

Just keep fighting Bree - you WILL win.

greyhound said...

I swim the slow lane at masters and you're doubtless faster than me in your current condition--and I have two good arms.

This is not forever. Just keep moving forward and you'll be able to withdraw all that training you've already put in the bank whenever you're ready to toe the line.

Furacán said...

I admire your courage! amazing!
A few days ago i read a hawaian quote on a web: "e ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa" (literally: try it to end the panic)It's no easy to remember for me but i write it :-) I love hawaiian culture.
Keep on moving Bree!
Soft hugs!

Christy said...

Now you've got my hubby's attention. We just paid to watch PJ fight. We love the MMA, too. The MMA is special--good sportsmanship. Most of them show respect towards each other. I think my hubby will tell the boys at work about ya now. Sending lots of good wishes to ya.

Christi said...

Keep your chin up and keep fighting the good fight! You will conquer it and that keeps me going as well. My injury flared after a run yesterday and I am trying hard not to let it get me down. I know that there will be ups and downs but it is never easy when you always want to be on the upside!

Trigirlpink said...

Glad to hear you are inching your way to painless rib days. HANG ON... can only get BETTER. :-)

tinaparker87 said...

You're amazing! Keep going! The BIG DAY will be here!