Thursday, September 23, 2010

Recovery Thursday...

It sort of feels like life is one giant "Warning" sign and I'm content to believe that the only way to avoid them is to stay in bed all day long. No thanks. When it comes to the ocean, I usually land in the water. Today was no exception, in the water for my "recovery swim" . Today I woke up so thankful that all I had on my plate was "recovery swim". Hard to admit, but I needed a day of just ocean, rest, and of course poke.

The swells have rolled in and all I wanted to do was surf. If it had been any other recovery day other than a recovery day where I'm trying to recover some ribs, I'd of waxed up my board and grabbed a few waves, to recover. The swimbikerun is amazing, but to keep the "passion" fueled and motivation high it helps to have outside passions too. So my clothes and everyone else's were washed away by the swells, but I did not get swept up in any surf...
Here are some photos of my beautiful ocean swim...


Last night was a full moon and if you live Hawaii you know what that means! It means a little ocean action, some lovin' from the coral. Yes those photos are what happens every time we get a full moon. We wake up to an ocean filled with coral spawn. Swimming through it is a lot like glue and snot. It wants to stick to you but it sort of falls apart and gets tangled. It was a nice day to draft, then the leader could break a path through the spawn for ya...
.
Believe it or not, from there it was off to Da Poke Shack for fish & seaweed as if that ocean experience wasn't fishy enough! Then rescue Kainoa from school and hit the beach with auntie Brooke and the nephew, recovery in paradise!~
.
I loved this relaxing day and am thankful for it, however I'm looking forward to tackling tomorrow. LOTS of love & aloha,
.
Bree
PS: If you happend to have swam in the Coral Spawn (or any other water for that matter) and are now in need of a new suit, check out SPLISH, they have a HUGE sale with $19.95 suits).

6 comments:

Caratunk Girl said...

Oh man, I didn't realize that those things did that every full moon!! Glad I am a slow swimmer for once (so I wouldn't be taking the lead, you see! ha)

Keep on healing those ribs.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I been stung once by an Man-o-war, freaking hurts bad. Honestly that was the last time I was in the ocean as well.

Ange said...

It sounds like you are feeling a lot better. I'm rooting for you Bree!
That coral stuff is quite gross... new info for moi!

Lucy Francis said...

The things i learn on your blog!!! I didn't know coral did that stuff???

I do miss the sea too so seeing your pictures of the ocean is always a treat. :-) thank you my sweet

SHERRY said...

About 2 months ago I went on a jellyfish rampage. I had been doing more Gulf swimming than usual with friends and for whatever reason, I decided that it was time for me to find out exactly 'what' I was potentially swimming with. The Man-O-War freaked me out! It's a beautiful looking animal, but yikes! The coral... very interesting! Will have to read up on that too!

SSB said...

yuck. I got hit bad by man o war on Sunday. Like all over my body. I'm itching like crazy. But at least it wasn't slimy spawn!