Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Biggest Pua I Could Find...


An over sized hat hung slightly above my eyes, long sleeves covered my arms, and slippers were on my feet, it was as if I was a little girl again riding my bike with no destination, no thoughts of sport, just cruising with my kaikaina (lil sister). We rolled through beautiful country side, up and over little hills, on trails, next to lava tubes, and under canopies of giant green trees. The breeze was cool, smells of farm land lingered in the air, and the sunshine radiated in our laughter.
.
It's days like this that have me entirely too deep in thought, mostly about how much I value the fact I've always followed my heart, also pensive about trying to figure out and understand what next. I just never want to miss any single moment and up to this point in life I've done everything that ever entertained my heart and head and no regrets ever cross my mind... so I thought a little too much about who knows what... Replacing my fancy Speed Play pedals with some $3 Walmart pedals on my road bike was certainly the best way to spend a Sunday morning, a morning where recovery is still on my plan, not training or race focus mode, just cruise and stay active mode. The little sister, Nick, and their baby kept me company, for sure we tried to race up and over little hills and dodge a dead cow that had our noses hurting, but it was all fun and games. We even took time out to smell the puas (flowers) and hide in lava tubes.







After overdosing on lychee it hit me. As much as I try to escape the fact that I don't like speedos, bike shorts irritate me, gels are probably worse for me than Spam, and men who run in surf trunks drive me wild far more than triathletes, I AM A TRIATHLETE and it has seriously caused this surfer girl, beach bum, Hawaii sun loving girl to find passion far greater than I ever thought possible. All of the swimbikerun for me started so innocently and it just grew into something I adore and day dream about. So here I am, wishing to indulge more and more into sport...count me in.
.
It feels like just yesterday I raced my first triathlon and wondered to myself, "Am I triathlete now because I did one?" It amazes me that this sport still drives me crazy, in a good way, in a way that I want to wake up and do it and plan for another day on the bike, another swim in the ocean, another mile on my run. At the end of the day, after the big races, the passion I have is still greater than the gains that sometimes happen. It's almost as if I am getting in my own way, expecting all the hard work to just magically transform into a "perfect race". Daily I need to remind myself to be patient and not give up or give in despite the sacrifices, challenges, and sometimes difficult to swallow results...
.
Anyways, on my bike cruise I just kept wondering what next, what next, what next...perhaps a break. I dont want one. I really want another race, another Ironman. That would make 5 in a single year, whoa. Mexico is on my mind, I'd love to go back there. Once again I'm rambling deep in triathlon thoughts...just one more, then I can call it a season. Tomorrow officially ends my "play, party, get a tattoo, stay up too late, hit all the movies, eat too much food that makes my opu (belly) hurt after an hour, no training plan" week. I'm glad it's ending. My life works better when I have a goal to chase and purpose for being awake. Also, there is a new bikini I want and right now it does NOT fit. Mexico would be a good way to end the season, ill keep you posted if coach gives me one more 140.6 miles.


Just finished looking at all the Ironman Hawaii photos. Here is the moment just before climbing the Palani Hill, I was so excited to get up that hill and onto Queen K. Seeing this moment captured in a photo has me really wanting to relive another Ironman. At this moment I can't even put it into words the way I feel to be a triathlete. Simply put, I love it. Totally blessed that this is what happens everyday in my life, swimbikerun...

Okay, I better sleep on it. Tomorrow starts back some organization to this mess I've made of my routine post Ironman. Kainoa also returns from his dads house & Ill need all the energy I can muster up to tell him that his pet gecko is not sleeping (he had me rubbing it's belly), but its dead. Good thing geckos clutter the island...

Bree

8 comments:

Oscarjet said...

Relax , la recompensa de la guerrera!! besos y abrazos !

Nibbles said...

Bree, you forgot your helmet!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I will mail you a Florida gecko if you would like....

goSonja said...

Yes Bree, you spoke it well. I feel the same way. I just get done with the race and I process it and all I can come up with is "I wanna do that again". So IMAZ it will be for me. Similar timing to Mexico for you (if allowed).

So much fun. The structure, yet the opportunity to excel just keep me coming back for more.

Good luck convincing your coach!

PS Is lychee the same as Rambutan? If so then Annie and I ate about three bazillion when we were in Hilo, in fact I think we ate Hilo out of Rambutan!

Jill Costantino said...

For some reason you seem like a girl that could sell ice to an Eskimo! Great photos!

Good luck with the gecko situation! It's the circle of life - right?

Dawn said...

Love all your island pics, how neat! (I LOVE horses!) Good luck with your decision with your next IM, awesome!! I am a runner and have done a ton of races... but I did my first tri this summer, and have been dreaming of the next one... I said the same thing, "Am I a triathlete now?" :) What a beautiful life you've made... happy RuNsWiMbIkE, Bree! Hope all went well with telling Kainoa about his Gecko. ;)

Lucy Francis said...

so many beautiful images and not a single shot of the ocean!!! this island has everything! brilliant. you reminded me of when i got my first bike as a kid. i used to go for a ride with my friends and we didn't race or worry about anything, just enjoyed going around and when it got a bit hard going uphil i used to hop off the bike and walk with it.....no chance of that now!:-)
IM Mexico seems perfect for you: hot weather, beautiful sea, nice island! it's nice to have a break form routine but also great to go back to it as it gives us a purpose in life. Loved reading your post Bree.

weddingdresses said...

The Power Balance bracelet is made of pure surgical grade silicone that is extremely durable. Its stretch feature optimizes users' comfort level. It comes equipped with two, visible power balance holograms and this sporty and stylish bracelet goes with everything.

Specification:

Silicone Power Balance Wristband Bracelet
The band made of 100% silicone rubber
With 2 visible hologram disks for balance power,waterproof.


Except for this product,customers are eager to shop for:

Silly Bandz