Friday, October 15, 2010

Finally!

For nearly 4 years I've wanted a tattoo (since Kainoa came along) and I always thought about it, barely talked about it, and never told anyone-okay I told like 2 people. Sure they are artistic and creative, but for me I just grab my paint brushes when I'm in a "artistic mood" because I know my creative moods come and go and I didn't want to paint something on my body that a week, month, or year later I wish I could just paint over...it had to be PERFECT, not just okay, but PERFECT for me to go through with it. Let's just say I painted and drew a lot in the past 4 years. It was like my top secret little project that some people would never believe...
.
Then came the crew, you would not find me drunk in a dirty tattoo shop. I wanted people I trust and those who wore tattoos that I enjoy looking at and admire, 'cause then I know they painted their bodies with some sort of passion and would put that passion on me and into my ink. Finding the crew would be the easy part, Che & Alika wear the tattoos I love most and grew up inking people. I swim with these guys, Kainoa goes to school with U'i and Alika's son, it would be so easy to have them make it happen... but the design was still a work in my sketchbook...
.
I eventually let it go. Put it in the hands of a friend who wears a few cool tattoos that all have such beautiful meanings. I trusted him to draw it up, he knows Kainoa is my most treasured gift and has become my world, my strength through all I've had to go through with the divorce, life, love, and sport. He knew I want simple yet something deeper, and of course...a drop of ocean. One night he came up with this...
PERFECT! That was that. Exactly what I was wanting without knowing how to make it happen. And the very next day I got it...just like that. Justin drew it, Alika stenciled it, then Che made it happen, permanently. Today on my ride I couldn't stop looking at it, 4 years later it happened and I love it. The thing about my life is that I never really know what's going to happen day after day after day, I just live to the fullest, chase dreams, reach for stars, hope a lot, smile as much as I can, and appreciate the simple things, there is a lot of love in my heart, but the thing I'm most certain about is the way my life changed on July 2, 2006 when Kainoa was born and that he's the very reason for all that I do and am. And no, it did not hurt, honestly...



So there it is, my tattoo that I've wanted for a very long time. Right where I want it. Nah, I'm not planning any more. The only way id get another is if I get married and he captures my heart the way Kainoa has.
.
Mahalo nui Che, Justin, and Alika!
Bree

15 comments:

LittleRachet said...

Love it! I've been doing sketches for a while too. Maybe someday I'll just do it.

Damie said...

awesome!!!!!

Sheryl said...

Nice! I have a tattoo of two pink running feet on my right ankle. Yours is great!

Jill Costantino said...

Fantastic - it's beautiful!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Perfect and beautiful!

goSonja said...

Oh Wowzer Bree!!! This is a huge thing! I really really love the way Kainoa's name is written, that lettering is very ocean yet clean and clear. It came out beautiful and he will be with your while you are in aero forever!

Happy healing!

Lucy Francis said...

hey Bree! what a great thing to do. I have 2 tattoos myself and i understand your concern that it had to be absolutely right and mean something special to you. I love it! and no! you will never regret it. trust me:-)
My first one - a dragon spitting fire on my shoulder - was done 20 years ago by a reputable tattoist above some strip joint in the red light district in london.
I was a bit scared but he had done lots or rock stars.
My 2nd one...you guessed it it's a m-dot on my wrist:-)
Enjoy yours!

Sarah Giacomarra Schrader said...

I just did a google search on Kainoa and found out its pronounced \ky-noah\. Is that true? I've been reading your blog for 2 years (?) and never knew how to pronounce your sons name. :o)
They also said Kainoa means "name" in Hawaiian, is this also true.
Just geekin' out and doing a little research on names.

Christi said...

Awesome tattoo!!!! I am like you. I want one but it has to be just right. I will not get one until I have the appropriate design and one that speaks to me. I am so glad that you found your design!

Christy said...

That is so cool! There's nothing like a constant visual of the people and place who have your heart and make you smile. Those guys did great with ink. (simple w/ heart) There is nothing like being a mom. Wouldn't trade it for anything. It's cool to see an athlete embrace it so openly.

BreeWee said...

Sarah thats so cool you did some research, ha ha... yeah Kainoa is pronounced like Ky-noah and like most words in Hawaiian it has like 3 meanings, one of them is "strong", thats why they call it "the name of all names". So when I fell down the hill at xterra maui and didnt know I was pregnant and the doctor told me the baby is fine, he was strong, I knew that his name had to be "strong". Fits him perfect! Hope you are good...

Dawn said...

Awe, love it! How awesome! ;)

Lisa G said...

I love it! Welcome to the tattoo club (I have 2 and that is enough for me)!!

Nibbles said...

I like the design a lot!

Regina said...

Very sweet. I'm too afraid of permanence. I applaud you. Our sons are only 4 months apart. Is your giving you hell at the moment too? ha!

It really looks lovely.