Sunday, December 19, 2010

Kamilo...Me Likey!

A little spot on the Southeast coast of the island has totally captured my heart. That ol' saying my mom would say, "trash to treasure" has finally happened...unlike when she would drag us to garage sales, (my very least favorite thing to do). There is a tiny beach (just over 400 meters long) called Kamilo Beach and FINALLY we went. In fact, I loved it there so much I convinced Cody to take Kainoa and I two days in a row! It's near the most Southern point of the United States of America. It's also near the famous "Green Sands" beach-covered in green sand. BUT, the Green Sands beach and being super South were nothing compared to the plastic fascination I found at Kamilo.
.
Kamilo was once the spot where the first Hawaiians went for canoe wood, it's the spot where they would find dead bodies that were washed to shore, and it's the dirtiest beach in the world! Kamilo is the accumulation of "junk n' stuff" all washed up from the currents (Kamilo is swirling currents in Hawaiian), from the Great Garbage Patch. It's unreal in a really weird way...



Found a new favorite run trail, a MUST RUN in 2011 for the longer stuff...


Green Sands. A day with the boys, in the waves, jumping from the cliffs...


A little honi,
Bree

3 comments:

Dawn said...

What a neat little trip you took, such beautiful pictures! Love the pic of Kainoa and the horse, so sweet. How fascinating about Kamilo beach... and it is always unbelievable to me how much trash there is in the ocean, so sad. Happy resting, Bree! :)

melicious said...

I've been reading your blog for some time now but haven't posted any comments. I love your posts and especially your photos, Bree, thank you for the bursts of color, warmth and joy! You are blessed to have such a gorgeous place to live and such a great child. Merry Christmas to both of you, I can't wait for the Marshallese post!

Lucy Francis said...

Bree I've known about this beach for ages as i saw a report on tv a few years ago and that's what got me into recycling. I've even managed to convince my husband to take an old plastic bag to the supermarket instead of asking for a new one everytime, as this sort of thing ends up being eaten by turtles, dolphins and birds, as well as being washed up on your beautiful island when we throw them away. I'm always telling him about it and I of course recycle all plastics and other stuff as we have a really good scheme here in camden town.
Just a little bit of effort from everyone and we could reduce this rubbish washing up on your beach.