Saturday, December 11, 2010

Snow to Sand...

As soon as the sun woke up over Hualalai there was one thing on my mind, play in the snow. Last night it snowed and I fell asleep with dreams of a making a snow man and riding down a volcano of frozen water on my surf board. Checking the road closures only to find them closed due to snow and ice until they can get cleared was not too promising, however the word SNOW was more than enough to make the drive to Mauna Kea. Like a kid at Christmas there was nothing getting in the way of playing with snow, except the police standing at the entrance to the drive up the peak of Mauna Kea. He told us men were up clearing the road now and wouldn't allow vehicles on it till tomorrow. My heart did that little drop it does when you unwrap a present with excitement only to find out its a knitted scarf or underwear. Thankfully in Hawaii there is ALWAYS another way...the way of the ancient Hawaiians and that was the way we took. It's the original trail before a road was ever paved, you have to hike it, 8 miles up. Lovely... but you better believe this was PERFECT. I'll see snow and call it "off season activity" all on the same day! We weren't exactly packed for a hike, that meant I had to leave my surf board in the truck and the snow man's pineapple! For a hike we went...up, up, up...


The hike had me in amazement! The entire way up I was ooohing, ahhhhing, and snapping photos. The ranger said it takes an average of 4-5 hours to climb depending on conditions of the snow and your endurance level. When I told him I want to break 4 hours he looked at my neon pink and hot green scarf clearly made for the beach, not snow, then smiled on the way to laughing. After nearly passing out from altitude sickness (it's 13, 796ft), we made it, 2 hours & 45 minutes! I wasn't really trying to race it but my competitive side came out a little. A little break at the top, some nori & star bursts, then it was time to PLAY IN THE SNOW!! Yes, after an 8 mile hike in snow and elevation there was still plenty of energy to play!
I was a little bummed we didn't drag the surf board on the hike, but the sponge was fun too. The snow woman was awesome, except not having her pineapple. Yep, people on an island know how to roll snow balls!!! It was such a beautiful day on the volcano and once again my love of Christmas was set on fire! December 20th will be 2 months till my first triathon of 2011 (REV3 Costa Rica), at that time I've got to change my focus back to sport, for now, it's right where it needs to be: chillin'.

After the hike I discovered my neon green scarf was missing in action, yes I went on the lookout for it despite the fact it could be anywhere. The highlight after retrieving it was the site of a dozen other trucks! Sometime between the hike and building a snow man the road was opened and people were at the peak in trucks! I wasn't upset that we made that trip only to discover they decided to open the road, the views were like nothing I've ever seen and I enjoyed that "workout". It was good news landing a ride back down the volcano rather than an 8 mile hike freezing in snow covered clothes! From there... the beach for a beautiful sunset.
Most Happy Holidays!!
Bree

7 comments:

Christi said...

Great pics Bree!

Lucy Francis said...

this island is perfect! It has everything, even snow:-) cool pics

Furacán said...

mmmm... this post is hot & cold...
like Katy Perry song :-D
Nice pics, this island is a paradise, it've everything!

Jill Costantino said...

Love the photos - you have more snow than WE do:) Your snow Chica is hot! Great new lens on the camera too:) Happy Holidays Fiesta Chica!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Love that you blew the doors off the "usual" time to the top. That's my girl!

tinaparker87 said...

These pictures are great!

Dawn said...

What a cool trip - love your pics! SNOW on the island! Way to rip up those uphill trails!! Yes, love your new camera lens photos... so neat! How fun!! ;)