Friday, January 14, 2011

Ocean Swim Discovery...

When the swells roll in and the storm surges land in the deep blue, all sorts of things wash up on shore, out to see, or in the middle of an ocean swim. What began as "washing machine like conditions" on our ocean swim soon turned to "lost at sea". We finally reached the buoy like a bunch of crazy people possibly ship wrecked. On the return it was tiny rollers pushing us in and sea spray choking us, however lovely if you enjoy that sort of oceanic roller coaster and not seeing your hand in front of you.
.
First a Palm tree in the way. Then sand churned up so thick I could chew and spit out a sand castle. From there I'm not even sure what it was, a broom fish??
...and then the discovery of a lifetime! If you enjoy "garage sales" in the Pacific Ocean. I found a stool from Malaysia! It made my entire swim worth the ridiculous amounts of stupidity we endured swimming in that "flash flood warning".

I'm not really sure why I was so fascinated but I was. A stool just chilling in the deep blue. By this point we were about 250 yards from shore. In my moment of wonder the boys left me and swam in. I on the other hand felt the need to swim that thing to shore! I really wanted it for who knows what, but I did! I laid it on my stomach seat side down and kicked it as far as I could until the boys saw my attempt to save a sea blown stool.
Matt helped kick it in using it as a kick board the last few yards, phew.... it was pretty heavy! From there I took it home and cut up all the surf mags I could find and went for a run while it dried out.

From there I decoupaged the entire thing top to bottom with surf photos! It is now the coolest stool I ever saw! I'm pretty stoked about my ocean treasure, in fact, I was hoping on today's swim to encounter a matching coffee table or something. All I found was a few thousand yards of ocean swim, still worth it every time...
A few hours later the discovery was made. The jet ski barge washed ashore in the middle of that storm and swell. The stool came from there, we think. My big hope is that they don't send out a "Reward for missing Malaysia stool" and I have to give it back. Id give it back but I'm not sure it matches their decor anymore...

Then of course, recovery-sunset style! The weekend looks to be smooth sailing in the land of Aloha. Time on the bike and in run shoes, perfect! Happy Weekend!

7 comments:

Kris said...

I am always amazed at the beautiful pictures you have in your posts! Particularly your 'on the go' swim pics. Just fantastic!

Lora Abernathy said...

That's hilarious!! I totally would have done the same thing with that stool, except I might have used pics of favorite U.S. presidents instead. I'm kind of a dork. Fantastic story!

Kiet said...

This is such a great story Breezy, and totally lets the reader know how your brain operates.

Clair said...

Awesome piece of "drift wood." Have a great weekend!

Lucy Francis said...

Nature is amazing, imagine where's the previous owner of that stool? (malaysia) hopefully he/she's not looking for it :-). You did well in bringing it ashore, that way you have a piece of furniture with an interesting story to tell.

what's going on with the weather around the world this winter?

Heidi Austin said...

soo creative! im impressed :)

Jamie said...

Creative way to recycle some old junk! Very cool Bree.