Saturday, March 19, 2011

San Juan 70.3 Went Like This...

Must begin with, "I think this is one of the best 3 races in the world". It amazes me how first year races are hit or miss and when it's a hit, it is a BANG! Before I even begin my day, a HUGE shout out to the directors of San Juan 70.3, you know your racing, course planning, and how to celebrate. Seriously, I can't even think of a negative of the race if I had to try...it was that good. And volunteers, "GRACIAS"...
.
I have to wake up in 4 hours to catch a plane home so I plan to make this QUICK...
.
I spent 4hours and 33 minutes chasing some of the best women in triathlon. It hurt, it felt good, it challenged me in so many ways, and it made me truly appreciate that THIS day in Puerto Rico was my office for 70.3 miles. I was hoping to have been a little faster but the day landed me 9th and that means my next travel race, St. Croix 70.3 is now a no-go. No worries, more time to train for Hawaii 70.3 and I can handle that, probably need it too :)
.
...and immedietly upon crossing the finish line I was in the med tent for who knows what. My nutrition was super and I felt alright, but after they took some blood they said I had "blah blah something blah". I didn't understand it at all even with my best Spanglish...so they stuck a shot of something in my butt and I screamed! Here's the best part...on the way to the elevator my butt was aching so bad, like it must have a massive bruise on it. The hotel just happens to have a giant mirror next to the elevator, sooooo I discover nobody in sight and lift up my dress in the mirror to check for a bruise and just my luck, the elevator opens and I am busted checking for a bruise in the giant hotel mirror, wanted to HIDE BIG TIME....Oh Puerto Rico, gonna miss this! And don't pretend you wouldn't have looked in the mirror for a bruise, I know you would too!
.
If you have never been to Puerto Rico I highly reccomend it, wonderful little spot on Earth and some of the most kind people I have ever met! MAJOR big "Mahalo" to Ramon Serrano and his wife for all the support while on the island, they were like my "Spanish parents" and they truly made the trip for me. Also to Enrique for the company on my training sessions in this traffic full of cars and manattees...so much fun!
.
To Trakkers, Swift Bikes, KSwiss, Splish, Bike Works, Coach Jimmy, and Johnson Blanton-I could not do this without you, thank you for helping me have this chance to live a dream come true! Alright then, Hawaii... see you in 4 flights & 17 hours!
.
Nos vemos,
Bree

13 comments:

SSB said...

You know most elevators have a security camera in them. Just so you know.

Enduramoms Founder and CEO, Dana said...

HA! That totally sounds like something embarrassing that would happen to me. So good to know it's a great race venue.

Avila Women's Club said...

Good job.
I was checking some of the times. What's with the winner pulling a 1hr 20min 1/2 marathon? DANG!!
Hope you have an uneventful trip home...

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Not sure what's up with our computer. ONEHOURIRONMAN is now "Avila Women's Club"... in case you were wondering. But they do great charity work so I will let my wife take credit for the last comment...

Kelly said...

Congrats, Bree. I always love following your adventures and your happy heart! Safe travels home!

Rob said...

Good stuff Bree looking forward to following your training for Hawaii

Dawn said...

Congrats, Bree! Thanks for sharing your race day with us - always inspiring to hear about your journeys and definitely your happy heart! :) Safe travels home to Kainoa!

Charisa said...

Ahhhh love the mirror incident! Nice work chica!

Lucy Francis said...

Bree, sorry i'm still laughing at the mirror incident, I would have done the same thing and checked my bum too. so don't worry! every woman/man has one so they shoudln't be schocked.
Regarding the race, you finished in the top 10 and that must get you some points, surely!
Take care and have a safe trip home

Jennifer Harrison said...

I have heard from many that they LOVED San Juan 70.3 - so glad you loved it too and had another great race!!! :))

Kiersten said...

I didn't get a chance to meet you at the race, but was making my debut as a race sherpa for a Trakkers teammate. A few of the "Way to go Bree!" shouts you heard near transition and at the finish were me. :) Strong work. You pro women were amazing. The volunteers really were amazing at this race.

Ryan Oilar said...

Wasn't able to make this one, but I'll be at Rev3 Knox, P'town, Cedar Pt. & SC. I totally would have checked out my ass too :) Way to go Bree!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats on the race

Are you racing Cedar Point this year?