Monday, May 9, 2011

Lucky Hawaii Has Farmers Markets on Every Corner...

Today I played a little game, I tried to EAT my vitamins. Being the researcher I am, the discovery was made that ALL the foods you see on my counter top (above photo) I would have to eat in order to get the minerals, nutrients, vitamins, all that stuff, in the vitamins Dr. Traub makes me take. I never wanted to be a vitamin/supplement girl but after discovering that replacing what is lost in training would mean eating like an elephant, the vitamin saves me a lot of time.

.

Today I had some time to eat the vitamins rather than swallow, that said all the above (and some) is now in my belly! Oh don't be silly, most of it I drank thanks to the super juicer and Vitamix that are my best kitchen friends! After a day of SUPER FOODS, lots of creative new recipes, and experimenting, here are some worth sharing!!

ICE CREAM! Ingredients: 2 frozen bananas, a cup of blueberries, and 2 whole beets. That's it! I juiced the beets first then added them to the bananas and blueberries. If you have the Vitamix it will blend them pretty good for you, but the juicer made this way more simple. Shared some with the massage therapist too and he gave it 2 thumbs up!

Potato Salad: 4 red potatoes, 5 cherry tomatoes cut in half, green onions, capers, black olives, drizzle with olive oil, pepper, and garlic powder. I baked the potatoes first, serve cold, perfect recovery after a ride (that was my recovery fuel and it did the trick!)

Sweet potato fries...no explanation, cut the sweety's, salt, rub with a little olive or coconut oil, bake at 400* for 20 minutes and you are all smiles!

Zucchini noodles! If you don't have a veggie spiraler beg for one for Christmas! It will spiral any veggie (even beets) into noodle looking noodles! I love to take zucchini and cover with fresh tomato sauce for a pasta-like dish. And moms, you can fake your child into eating it! Kainoa now asks for green noodles with cheese! If he knew they were zucchini he would avoid it...
As much as I'd love to tell you what I did with all the other foods, like grind raw black beans in the food processor and make a chips out of them, I should leave you with Kainoa's breakfast. Pretty much his favorite cereal is oatmeal, I's sure you can guess why. (He puts SO MUCH STUFF in it). This morning we baked it!

.

2 cups raw oats, 4 bananas mashed up, 3 spoonfuls of honey, 3 spoonfuls of coconut oil, 1 papaya, 1/2 cup raisins, lots of cinnamon, and 1/2 cup coconut shreds. Bake in tiny bread pans or muffin pans at 350* for 15 minutes.

.

Alright then, that was a day full of vitamins all chewed up. Seriously, it was a little wild trying to consume that much food on top of meats or whatever else you eat. It was rather fun but I'd need a couple more hours added to my days to do this everyday...

.

Cheers to vitamins!

Bree

8 comments:

PipTook said...

Hey Bree,

A question that perhaps you can answer. I've heard several people rave about the Vitamix. What's the difference between it and a "regular" $30 blender?

There's a joke there somewhere about "For $400 it better turn food into GOLD." ;-)

BreeWee said...

PIP!!!
Totally hear ya, I got the vitami over 6 years ago as a gift and thought, "Sheesh, who in the heck would pay for this"... Now having it this long I would! The difference is, it has a lifetime warrenty so you can return it if it fails to do the job, the jobs it does seriously make life easy.

It can blend entire vegetables so it works like a juicer too! It can also heat things to make soup or hot salsas. In the regular blender you could never add an entire beat or broccoli without it stopping the blades, SO I think its like you are paying for 2 things (the juicer as well) in one. Ive gone through 5 blenders before that was given to us, it depends on how much you use it. I think if you just use a regular blender for softer smoothies then the 30 dollar one will do the job and can last you a while if thats all you need it for. Good luck!

Kiet said...

You ALWAYS eat well, I've never seen you eat poorly. Most people like me snack on chips and m&m's, when I saw you snack, you were eating pumpkin seeds! I'm gonna catch you one day Breezy!

Ange said...

I wish you could come cook for me....

Laura Wheatley said...

Thanks for the post Bree! Now that I have some extra time during the summer, I'm planning to cook and e more creative with fruits and vegetables - love it!

SHERRY said...

Mmmm. A food post! Who doesn't love them? Everything looks fantastic! Your zucchini noodles remind me of spaghetti squash. Topped with a homemade red sauce, it's as close to eating pasta without actually eating pasta. :-) Even the texture stays somewhat al dente! Give it a try if you can get your hands on it.

PipTook said...

Thanks for the explanation Bree! Yeah, I think for now my cheap blender will work, but I'll definitely keep the Vitamix in mind if I ever get serious about juicing.

Oh, and I added a link to your blog from mine. Hope you don't mind!

Lucy Francis said...

Everything looks so yummi and colourful: summer food! that potato salad would go really well with some (tinned or fresh) tuna.
that tool you use to make the zuchinni (courgette) noodles? i assume is the same as the tool you can use for making shredded carrot. If so I ahve one and it's such a great way of adding an extra veg to spaghetti dishes. Thanks so much for the recipes. that reminds me I must share my salmon marinade with you:
Mix Lemon juice from 1 lemon +
2/3 table spoons of dark soya sauce +
1 table spoon of honey, marinate the fish in it for 1 hour and then grill it. the fish (steaks) is done when the centre is still slightly raw. Very tasty.