Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Wonderful Day...

Today was so incredible in so, so many ways. I didn't even race and it was a darn near perfect day, unbelievable. Last night began with a slumber party, who slumber parties the night before an Ironman?! Me. It had to be done. 3 friends stayed over and filled Kainoa and I's little home with a lot of happiness, it was a brilliant distraction from the race about to fill the following day, the race I would be watching. Only once did I get sad last night. That's good, it means I care and really love what I do. It wasn't too much of a wuss that I messed up an entire day crying over spilt milk, just enough to know something matters to me.
.
While the mass of athletes were filling Kailua Bay we were making breakfast, a big one. That was a first too, on a race day. And from there directly to the beach. I live at mile marker 2 of the run so getting to the beach was a little bit of a circle to loop through. We made it just in time to unload and break out into cheers.
Boom! Upon hitting the white sand here was Lieto in the lead. It was of course very cool to see him winning the whole Ironman, it gave everyone chills! The entire day began to give me chills, all day. The race was filled with so much drama, excitement, and gutsy performances that if ever a day to sit out had to happen, today was worth watching!

A few minutes later Crowie came jamming along and I told anyone and everyone within distance that he would win the race. It was so very clear to see upon his face that he had it in him and would make it happen. You can tell so much by a man (or woman's) face what is happening during a race. The blank stares on some of the front leaders gave us a pretty good sign that by the end the positions would all be changed. And they were. So many men near the front landed in the back and women from the back landed in the front. It was determination, pacing, guts, and glory all poured out for us spectators to see.

.

That top photo is a real gem to me. After watching the first 50 or so we jumped into the ocean. Before long the man on the far right jumped in too. He was running down Ali'i, got off the road and into the sand. Took off his shoes, race number, and humbly fell into the ocean. It was exactly where he wanted to be mid 140.6 miles. Don't we all sometimes?! Then he rolled around, got out, put on the shoes and race number, then began to run down the street back in the game. It was actually very cool to see it all unfold.

Kainoa and his buddies played in the ocean most the afternoon, until the first couple men crossed the finish line that is. In that amount of sun drenched time he finally rode his own wave! It was so awesome to see him just floating along the ocean with a smile. It made the day so very worth it to me. I got to learn so much from the sidelines, more than I could ever write down. Enough to give me a few more lessons to take into my next Ironman.


The other very cool high-light of the day was my friend Kawika. He was racing his first Ironman. Kawika was also the first person to take me on a bike ride. We were paddling partners and I got a bike, he busted me skipping paddle practice to be on the bike and the rest is history. His day was wonderful. A smile from ear to ear kind of day and he made it in 12:15, how exciting! At mile 2 of the run I found him on the road walking, about to stop for a breath it looked like. We wrapped arms around each other and walked. In few words I told him no matter what he has to finish for me because he is in the race, a place I want to be. He would never quit anything he ever started, but I knew guilt tripping him because he loves his friends so much, would ultimately send him into a more positive zone. He recovered from that massive bonk with flying colors and took off down the road and 24 more miles happier than I have ever seen him.

.

That moment with Kawika was the final touch on being okay with not racing. If I were in the race I would not have had that opportunity to be there for a friend, and my friends have ALWAYS been there for me...

To all the finishers, congrats on tackling 140.6 miles. It was very cool to be part of your day, even if it was from the sidelines. You were inspiring...

.

Bree

6 comments:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

The wife and I were tracking everyone from Frankfurt.. 12 hours later than Kona.
UNBELIEVABLE!!. Chrissie is a freak of nature (in a good way, a true inspiration to never give up).... Crowie really is Alexander the Great... and so are everyone of the people that participated in this years race.. GREAT !!
Hopefully I can join the crowd next year...

Cheers!!

Lucy Francis said...

Bee the good thing with you is that you always look on the bright side and that's the way to be. What opportunity to "spy" on all the PRO's and AG'S during the race. so cool that that man jumped in the water, I did think of doing the same in Lanzarote a few years ago :-).
I watched it online and also got up in the middle of the night to watch the winners, then in the morning I did my turbo session in front of the laptop whilst watching the last 2 hours. Wow! My husband wants to be in the crowd so he can sing along and catch all of those goodies. It looks like such a great party for spectators too. I'll keep working on my plan to get us there.

Lucy Francis said...

Ops! I've just realized that I called you BEE :-)ehehehe

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Bree, you had the most important job of the day!! Being a good mom. Way to be out there supporting all the racer.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Bree, you had the most important job of the day!! Being a good mom. Way to be out there supporting all the racer.

Mike @TheIronYou said...

It's really inspiring how can you manage to be a mum and a triathlete...
I can barely manage to be only a triathlete!

Peace

Mike