Sunday, March 4, 2012

Recovering in the Garden...


Last biggie of a run pre-Hapalau Chase, BEYOND excited. The road & me got along, the pace and I enjoyed each others company, and the miles landed me in an ice bath with a sigh of relief. Not so much that the run was over, Sunday runs are more enjoyable than other days paced runs, but relieved yet again to survive the journey into another race without injury, (even in new shoes!).

The run had me inspired to continue touching the Earth and just appreciating the ever changing effects of a journey, that meant the garden. We have seedlings started in pots and little trees here and there that have yet to really be put into a garden home. That is today's "I LOVE THIS" moment!! Kawika gave me the baby papaya (above) as just a mini seedling and today it looked out grown for the pot and ready for bigger and better things...kind of like going from 5k to 10k??

The first bite of our tomato plants happened today too! Oh my gosh, freshness like nothing from a store. You have no idea how excited I am for all the seed things, plants, and whatever else lands in our garden to grow into an entire meal! But like running, it's a journey and I know it won't happen over night...

Tomatoes ready for more land...

Picking some freshness...


An entire handful! MY own salsa? Spaghetti sauce? Spinach tomato salad? The list is exciting me...

The proud banana tree, Kainoa and I started it at Christmas, now ready and waiting for a permanent spot in the yard. Found a really good area for the new banana & papaya trees but that project will have to wait till after REV3 Costa Rica.

...This one is almost ready to become banana bread.

Our "Lanai started pineapples" are up and blooming, finally ready for the next big step-garden!

Thankfully Masuda was eager to spend his Sunday making a garden spot with me, not sure the chainsaw and I would get along today. It's a mess at the moment but the vision I have in my head for this garden has me so fired up. (Masuda is out there demolitioning it more now, I'm using my post-run-recovery excuse as a chance to blog this happiness). And of course get all sorts of ideas of what to put in there and where to put it and how in the world we can use the bamboo to box it in....

Everyone plants banana trees in a skirt and slippers, right? Next up, all my seeds. Stay tuned for the garden box and bamboo beginnings!!

Hope your runs, gardening, and all the other journeys you have going on are going good...

Bree

1 comment:

Lucy Francis said...

your garden puts mine to shame. Oh no! the (hardy) banana tree died one winter and the tomato plants always die in winter too, plus lots of other casualties :-(

It is so lovely to see Masuda and yourself creating that lovely paradise garden. With your climate you can't go wrong. everything will grow and either give fruit or flower. Now here is a favourite topic of mine. Keep us up to date!