Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Touch Down Costa Rica...

Aloha my friends and family that follow this racing, motherhood, love, and life of mine. Just landed in beautiful Costa Rica, here (above) is a postcard from me to you...its the swim start of the triathlon in just a few days. You can check the race here: REV3 Costa Rica.
.
Costa Rica is super special to me as I've been getting my feet sand and ocean soaked here since I was 15. It's always SO SO SO different though. Every year more roads are paved, more Spanish speakers are learning English, the prices are going up, and there are less bars on the windows and more hotels. I still see all of it as if i'm still just a young girl, amazed to be far from home and learning so much about another place and other peoples way of life.
.
But each year it gets more difficult to leave home and land so far away without family. I am homesick. I'm always homesick. Some roomies should arrive soon and that should shake this a little...till then, Im homesick. I have to suck it up though, race my little heart out for a payday, enjoy this journey and see it for them. Trust me, I don't take sport experiences for granted, but never a day goes by that the people in my life are less beautiful than the places I go in life, yes it's beautiful beyond words here, but I would love to wake up to Kainoa's face when he tries to make his own breakfast and makes a mess instead. And those brown eyes from Masuda, you get what I'm saying...
Getting here (or anywhere from Hawaii really), took 3 flights and THANKFULLY my bike arrived with me! So far this season it has been smooth travels, mostly. Race #3 of 2012 and I am loving that bags, bikes, shoes, and my passion to perform arrive right on time for a start line. I'll be honest, this race was not a focus of mine as I put it all out there for the Hapalua Half last weekend. It has been a week since I've been on my bike, thankfully biking without training wheels is easy once you get the hang of it, I'll be okay. And Monday the HighSchool kids reminded me how to swim, yesterday the dolphins came to play in the ocean swim, and my run legs ran with me for a quick 30 minutes. So...if I can wrap my head around a race on the horizon in just a few short days it will be all good...Thankfully I love racing.

Leaving home looked like this (see above). If I bring home a monkey he will be happy, hmmm. Then to the garden, im addicted to spending free time in the garden, everything is growing strong lately and its teaching me that things sprout when they are good and ready to sprout. Kainoa witnessed me trying to dig a little in the soil and see if any green wanted to poke through, he was quick to remind me, "It does not work that way mom, you can't dig it up." He is so right, let patience take over, right? Wait for the surprise? Such a good thing to remember in this life...
It is now time to unpack the bike and build it up. It's a scorching 90* and beautiful out here. The wind is going strong and the ocean is bluer than blue. It looks like a nice week is unfolding into a good race weekend...
Thanks for reading!
Bree

3 comments:

JC said...

Yeah - it's going to be a FABULOUS race weekend for you Chica! Goooo Get IT!

Jen Small said...

Enjoy and race your heart out!! i so wish I could be there with my Rev3 peeps!!! it looks amazing :)

Caroline said...

Good luck this weekend! Can't wait to hear how it goes! I understand you on the homesickness thing - I have had amazing opportunities to travel to Africa for work, and while it's a great experience, I'm definitely counting down the days until I get to return home to the people and places I love. Apparently homesickness isn't something we grow out of :) Enjoy your time in Costa Rica!