Thursday, April 26, 2012

Big, Beautiful World...

You know us triathletes, we always have a workout every week that we wait so eagerly for, mine was today!!  For lots of reasons I was excited...it was a long ride to a beautiful place, it would test my brain power as I would be running off the bike for longer than I have all year, most all of it was solo, and it landed the day after a really hard day...but mostly I was excited to get where I was going...
Today I went up a big hill, over 3 bridges, lost count counting cows, flew down a few valleys, climbed up a few rollers, blew over in the wind but not off the bike, smiled so big because THIS is  how I was spending my day.  I finally landed at the valley where onlookers took pictures, smiled, and felt happy to see what I am SO blessed to call home.  It was a pretty thankful moment, and then I rode back.
.
Most the ride I was wishing I had my run shoes with me as mile after mile opened up to trail after trail.  The island holds so many treasures and little tucked in and out of the way spots to explore.  Every time I think I have been to each and every spot a new one catches my attention.  The ride was long, rewarding, and quiet possibly a perfect way to spend Thursday...




After the ride it was into T2 where the Bike Works crew and I made sure to test out all the new 1980's looking Oakley shades.  After much laughter it was time to run, truly I was a little nervous about this as my legs felt slightly toasted on this BIG sized training week.  BUT something happened that has not happened in maybe forever, it felt like I hadn't ridden bike!  I'm pretty sure I rode, in fact I know I was on the bike longer than I'd been on a bike all year, my brain was a little tired, my belly was a lot hungry, but the legs-they ran good.   It was a goofy, slap happy smile on my face kind of run.  I'd like to blame the fact I ate nearly an entire loaf of banana bread last night on fueling such an enjoyable run...
.
The weekend looks like more swimbikerun, Kainoa's swim meet, some packing for REV3 Knoxville, and I'm thinking to bake up more banana bread, it could become a secret weapon for Thursdays!  Have a good weekend...
.
Bree

7 comments:

Bre said...

all your pics are making me so so excited to come train in Kona in 3 weeks!! it's so beautiful!

Christi said...

What a great day of training! You are going to rock Knoxville. I just know it!

PocoLocoMan said...

Long bike ride on a beautiful day in Hawaii,what could be better? Love the Longhorn water bottle, btw... : )

Tina Marie Parker said...

I know exactly where you rode, since we drove it! Very nice pictures today :) You are amazing. Have some cool pics from Lavaman for you. I just need to spend the time to get them for you.

Lucy Francis said...

I'm always so surprised to see the lush/green pics of the island as I always imagine it to be covered in /lava like in Lanzarote (no lushness there I can tell you, it's one big lava field!)
So funny that you mention the smilling during the run as I find myself doing the same, usually when I'm visualizing the race, cutting the finish line, etc. Passers by must think I'm mad.

Kelly Covert said...

I love these kind of posts...just you loving your training, living a beautiful life! I'll see you in Knoxville!!

Laura said...

Beautiful pictures. I've been enjoying riding more lately and some weeks he ride is what I look forward to. This week, I'm looking most forward to my longer run. I can't wait to follow your blog. I'd love to do iron distance tris.