Monday, April 30, 2012

Garden 101...

This weekend we got to truly, for real, EAT from our garden.  Things were big enough, full enough, and ready enough to land on our plates and satisfy.  I'm talking bok choy, mini carrots, romaine and spinach salads, kale chips, Asian snap peas, green squash, onions, basil, pineapple mint, cilantro, tomatoes, Swiss chard, and daikon for starters.  We have lanai herb boxes, 2 full gardens, a tomato round, and a bamboo flat with "PLEASE GROW" stuff that is sort of experimental.  Pretty much our blue thumbs (because we are more known for our ocean comfort) than our green thumbs, have turned an idea into a mini farmers market! 

Through all of this soil, I am digging up so many sporting lessons!

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant"- Stevenson.

I am LOVING that quote as some days there is NOTHING new emerging from the ground and no sign of even a tiny green anything trying to pop out even though seed packs say I should see action in 7-10 days.  In fact, a big lesson was our watermelons!  After weeks and weeks I pretty much gave up, maybe watermelons don't like to grown in lava rocks?? We put in pumpkin seeds in the watermelons spot, in hopes by October we would have our own pumpkin.  Those hid out for weeks and weeks too, until this evening. (Above is a photo of the pumpkin seed (closest to us) that sprouted!!  Behind it are a ton of watermelon seeds that eventually came up too).  THINGS grow given time...

Like in sport, sometimes the long rides don't begin to feel short when we want them to, the speed work still has us kicking it at the same pace, our stroke has yet to improve in the pool, and just maybe we are struggling to run off the bike, still...

BUT, we have to count on the seeds (our hard work) to eventually pay off, because it will, and we can't judge a single day by the lack of new growth...
The compost is teaching me something too.  This is the first time I've ever collected compost and it has attracted more than bugs, it has caught my total attention!  That junk is making new life better!  The compost is teaching me that the hard days, rough workouts, mental challenges, and other hard sporty lessons eventually make everything better-if of course we use them!
...and to think, all of the garden(s) began just a few months ago with a friends truck at the soil place and a giant bamboo box in the ground Masuda and the boys built! We just have to keep trusting our gardens, er sporting hopes and dreams, will eventually pop out of the ground and grow us some fruits!  That said, one more cool quote from the garden magazine, "There is not a sprig of grass that shoots uninteresting to me".-Jefferson. 
.
Happy growing!
Bree

2 comments:

Lucy Francis said...

what a beautiful analogy! trust me you live in gardening heaven with moisture, sunshine and warmth. everything you plnat should grow.
I keep checking the post every day Bree :-)

Laura said...

Oh my goodness!I love your blog. I get impatient with our garden too. The first thing I grew successfuly was edible pod peas. Once I finally saw something grow successfully the waiting was easier the next few times!