Sunday, April 15, 2012

Lieto in the Line up...

This post doesn't have much to do with Lieto (Chris), but is has a little something. Today, out surfing you would never believe who I saw?? Guesses? Chris Lieto and his son. It's not everyday you see one of the fastest American men on 2 wheels, in triathlon, out surfing pretty good sized waves in Hawaii. Today I saw him though...
.
I suppose on Sunday that is a good thing to see, family time. This has been a pretty cool year in sport for me, so far so good, as over the past couple seasons I have been learning more and more about choosing a goal, making a pathway to reach that goal, then actually working my okole off to see that goal through. I have also been learning (still a work in progress) that with most things in life-life happens. You know, ups and downs, hiccups, twists and turns. Those things used to truly set me into a frenzy, a bit of worry would set in that I AM MISSING SOMETHING SO IMPORTANT, as if missing a run means life is out of order. Anyways, it's getting better and sweeter with each passing instance that I am learning to take in stride.
.
...and so today, after a beautiful ocean swim with a swell rolling through, I waited at the finish line of the Alii Peaman 10 Miler for my sister. Wanting to race it actually sat on my "must do" list, I love that race, but I didn't even start it, boohooo. A very wise running friend told me after the race, "Bree you won by not running". I didn't really get it, but after seeing Lieto out surfing it made more sense. Sometimes we just can't do every single race, every workout, every adventure that our little hearts desire. Well, we might be able too, but then we might not have the energy, strength, or determination that sometimes happens when we sit one out.
This weekend was a pretty good blend of swimbikerun and family. Life for me just works better that way and with Monday happening tomorrow I am actually eager to tackle a new week rather than enter it ran down or lacking the motivation. The new week will include the planting of garden #2 (as you can see garden #1 has totally turned out better than envisioned). Kainoa will of course take me to a sunset, and I have promised myself no slacking on the bike this new week. Saturday we found a couch in the middle of the lava field during our big hill loop, I had to check it out...no checking anything out this new week-FOCUS!
So tonight, on a beautiful Sunday, I am thankful for all the good moments in sport and beyond thankful for all the good moments shared with those I love. And like so many Sunday's it is bitter sweet. Tomorrow Kainoa returns home from his dads but Masuda flys off to Maui for work...
.
Good night!!
Bree

5 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

Bree, your last few posts have really hit home for me. Lesson learned, live life no matter what. I've been struggling finding my mojo lately but you know what? You taught me that just by enjoying the small things help you appreciate the big things.

Right now I'm concentrating on enjoying time with my dad while he can still recognise me. His dementia is escalating. I am running shorter distances and cycling shorter routes just so I can have time to spend with him. Thanks for helping me find the right balance!

Christi said...

Have a great week of training!

Lucy Francis said...

That island is like the Hollywood of triathlon!
I agree with you there regarding balance in life, not so easy to do sometimes, but worth trying it.

Lucy Francis said...

oh and save a patch on your garden number 2 for the tasty/pretty stuff coming your way :-)

JC said...

Love the garden and what a great post! OMG and ALL of you surf - how cool is that?