Monday, April 23, 2012

The Lucky One...



Under a cluster of swaying palm trees that really, really good feeling hit home in me.  This has little to do with triathlon and more to do with life at the moment, my life.  I was smiling again, that really big smile that a girl wears when she has no doubt about following her heart, wherever that might lead.  Truly, life takes so many twists and turns for me,  by nature my style is to know what to expect so I know what shoes to have on.  Run shoes, because sometimes I like to run away from it, or slippers for when I bravely want to walk up and face life in the face...

After a week fully loaded of swimbikerun n' Kainoa, (hence the lack of keeping posted for almost a week), Friday landed the Masuda boys, Kainoa, and me at sunset up at Mauna Lani.  It was perhaps the kind of weekend a girl dreams about, a lot like a love story she envisions when she believes in fairy tales.  You know how that goes, girl and boy hold hands on the beach, barefoot of course, talk and walk while waves dance and the sun drops into the ocean...I'll keep it G rated...

Just going with the flow, not in my run shoes despite that bit of nervousness to fully open my heart again and not in slippers despite being beyond brave, this was me happy even though I don't know where I'll land.  Kainoa danced with honu and the older boys wound up hunting down their own entertainment.  From there it was night swimming, but this post is not about triathlon this time, so think of it more as a family in the resort pool at night, make it the jacuzzi actually...




 Being middle of the triathlon season it of course means TRAIN HARD, however, part of that training also means REST hard.  Rather than wake up at 5:30 and leave everyone sleeping I actually let my eyes stay resting too.  I'm sure in little ways that was really good for me, a full day off.   Totally off, except for the belly flop contest in the Mauna Lani pool and launching children from one end to the other. 

And then we biked, all 5 of us.  Refreshingly, I was able to go without looking at pace, miles, or nutrition.  Instead I had Kainoa to race, it was also our first time on single bikes together!  This is a big moment for a mom and I was happy to have known it this weekend!
Just love this bunch.  After bikes and pool it was back home from the mini-staycation.  The really good weekend I'd always wanted to know stayed good, really good.  We went home and made homemade pizzas and had a movie night...again, a good day off!
Sunday morning was back to business, in many ways that was refreshing as I am part of us in the world that loves what I get to do, daily.  An ocean swim with most the masters team started the morning and Kainoa eating giant cinnamon rolls with his nephew and uncle at the pier topped it off.  From the pier to the garden I landed.  The boys mowed, weeded things, trimmed things, and hauled things.  It looked like a massive load of fun, heeeeheeee, but I wouldn't know, I was in the garden playing with seeds, soil, and watering hoses!  Never would have envisioned I'd love a family day like this so much, but I did.  It was the same way I had it growing up, everyone working in the yard together, and it's finally part of my life once again...
 The boys loaded into the truck to haul off everything they trimmed, chopped, dug up, and killed.  This made for the perfect time to get my Sunday run in.  Running in the late afternoon made me feel pretty strong, it was hot, humid, and windy.  Of course that was also the last time I saw my head phones to the little blue IPOD.  And like any woman would do, I bravely searched the boys room for them and found only old pop cans, throw up on a pillow, (don't ask, he said it was a case of too much sugar), socks from 3 weeks ago, Easter candy, and then I called the search off for fear of finding anything else...
 After the run and yard work it was green stuff, I ended up drinking 3 of them and we ended up stuffing our faces with burritos in hopes of making it to a 5pm movie.  We made it!  I'm telling you we jammed in so much family time to a single weekend I don't even remember having a moment to breathe, or maybe this is breathing...
.
Okay, I'll let you know what we saw..."The Lucky One".  I know!!  Right?!!  All 4 of the boys, from the 5 year old to the 35 year old all came to the chick flick with me. It wasn't 2 thumbs up despite the previews looking like I would be crying all movie long.  However, the company was awesome. To make the last night we are all together before the new week has us all over the place we went to ice cream and walked to buy crayons because one of the boys (no names) threw 2 boxes of his teachers crayons and broke them or something like that Friday.  I'm telling you, life with 4 boys makes for entertainment all day and night long!
 It's now Monday, the start of a new week.  I miss all the weekend fun and find myself filling the day with plenty of training and of course digging up greens from the garden to take to the sister, not that I need an excuse to land at her house, but it helps to show up with green stuff if I plan to whine about missing the boys...
.
Lots of ALOHA,
Bree

3 comments:

Lucy Francis said...

Your weekend and family life sounds idillic right now. These are moments to treasure. So pleased for you that you get to share it with someone special too. I'm sure this helps you train/race better :-)

Jen Small said...

sounds like a perfectly wonderful way to spend your relaxation time :)
It's wonderful to see you so happy-wishing you continued blessings and joy.
Remember, those who have you in their life are The Lucky Ones too!!

Christi said...

A great time at home for sure!