Sunday, April 1, 2012

My Jill Savege Moment...

I'll make this quick, and my apologies for a "this is me and my bike, this is me running, this is me and my friends", it's just that I didn't take photos racing, I was given pictures of me. I'll go with it as they help tell the moment I pretended to be Jill Savege...
.
Yes, you know the story. Surfer girl on a beach towel in 2003 watching the Lavaman triathlon and getting BLOWN away at this beautiful dark haired woman that just swam, bike, and ran in a single day! Won a race! Didn't look tired! Let me have my picture with her and encouraged me to try one. She was the first real pro triathlete girl I ever talked to, ever met, and became sort of my superstar hero. I googled her, followed along on her Olympic journey in 2004, read her web page, and sure enough went back the next year to race the Lavaman Waikoloa Triathlon.
.
Well, this year the race didn't have any Jill Savege's (absolutely no offense to the other women in the race), there are some incredible up-and-coming girls in the islands that I am sure will land in the pro ranks one day! But for today, I was out to race Jill Savege in the best possible way, almost as if she inspired me to go for the course record she set since I needed a goal for the day, if I was going to get the best out of me I needed something to work for.
The morning began with the usual sunrise over Hualalai, gorgeous orange colors if you haven't seen it. Masuda brushed his hair, it was his first Lavaman triathlon you know, had to have it looking good. Kawika was all smiles like every single day of his life. Between the two of them there was only good vibes and the start to what I knew had the potential to be a good day...
.
My sister gave me a pep talk about not being a wuss running in the lava & coral section, she always beats me there as I tip-toe like every 2-left feeted girl would do. The swim plan was to go all out, balls to the wall because that is how Jill swims. The swim was SO LONG feeling. I had no idea what kind of pace it was because I felt like a crazy girl just holding on to feet. THANKFULLY those feet were 2 girls I know can swim, Karlyn Pipes who holds like every masters record known to man and Aimee who I often chase in the ocean. SO I stayed there and knew they would get me out of the water (barely breathing) but in position to chase the record.
Onto the bike. Pretty much you have no idea what the winds in this area will do. They blow head wind both ways, tail wind both ways, or neither, they can be cross winds or hurricane winds. So I just decided to pretend there was no run and ride as hard as I could. Instantly my legs felt horrible. I mean really bad. But then I saw hope at mile 7. They woke up and said, "Let's do this and maybe even fall off if we have too". What a lesson, to hold on because things come around. And sure enough I jumped off the bike with a PR on this course. It wasn't cake though on the mission for the record, this run is usually not a speedy one for me as trails and me love each other in slow motion...

I ran out of T2 like a kid about to miss the school bus! The start of the race had to be fast, like the fastest miles of the race for me knowing that last part in the coral and lava were going to be walked (not really, but really that part is kind of slow for me). Gosh this was funny, I never even heard anyone yelling or talking and I always hear crowds, I just needed to move...
hahaha, what a nerd, this is flat and hardly any rocks and it still freaks me out! That man was like my super hero, when rocks did come I ran exactly where he set his foot and copied so bad every move he made...thanks so much for leading me a little...
So I ran hard on the road parts, survived the lava and coral part, made it to the sand (I love the sand part) and was told I was really close to Jill's record and setting a new one if I seriously move it. "Move it or lose it" suddenly made sense to me, move Bree or lose that record. Grunt, groan, tongue hanging out, it was getting close and I was getting scared...
Well, I made it, with 47 seconds to spare too. This great race would not have been possible without having Jill's record to chase. It wasn't as cool as if she was really in the race and I was really chasing her, but it sure made me work hard today on a day that could have been just a training day in my back yard. I dug, fought, pushed, and learned so much. Years later Jill is still encouraging me in small ways...
To my awesome friends, family, and coach THANK YOU for always helping me be ME. Not just a triathlete, but a friend, mom, sister, daughter, girl friend. Thank you to REV3, Pearl Izumi, Power Bar, Splish, Coconut Girls, Kona Aquatics, Swift Carbon Bikes, and Bike Works too, you are for sure the best of the best when it comes to the sport I love! AND without a doubt, thank you to Gery Rott and the amazing Lavaman crew for totally putting on a race on the beach like no other triathlon does!
...Finally, Chris McCormack, Macca, you are so awesome! Thank you for cheering for me on the run, what an honor to share a stage with you!
PS. Kainoa, I am so sorry about your medal. I know you always get mommy's, but a little girl on the beach came up to me after the race and asked for a photo. For another split second I felt like Jill Savege and maybe that little girl was me, so I gave her your medal, you can have Masudas, haha.
.
Good night from a very thankful me.
Bree

15 comments:

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) said...

Well done, Bree, you nailed it! This is surely gonna be your big year!

Chris Gregory said...

You are so generous! I could never give away my medals haha. It shows your true passion for the sport. You really tore it up today.

JC said...

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. - that is what you are! The fire in your belly is so inspiring. SUPER CONGRATS! Woohoo!

JC said...

p.s. Congrats to Masuda too on his first tri! POWER COUPLE!

JC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bre said...

Congrats Bree!!! :) Inredible incredible! You are gonna rock 2012!

Christi said...

Bree, you have inspired many little girls and big girls; this one included. Please keep smilin' and racing!

Congrats on your race and record!

Savege Beast said...

Congrats Bree on setting a new record at the Lavaman. I love that race. I am honoured and humbled that I could have such an influence on you and your racing. Now it is you who inspires me to be the best mom I can be. All the best with your upcoming season.

Jen Small said...

Congrats-you look like you were FLYING!! That Rev 3/Splish suit rocks!!!!

what screams to me here is how you gave your medal to that little girl. You may have inspired that girl to do something so special and so amazing in the future-who knows what kind of ripple effect that will have :) THAT is just so awesome and that is why we just adore you Bree!!
Rock on

Lucy Francis said...

Hey ITU girl! What a brilliant result to get the course record. Your name is forever going to be upthere with Jill Savage

Beth said...

Awesome racing Bree!!!! What a great goal to have and race after and ACHIEVE!!! Congrats!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Great job Bree!!
Looks like a dang good season is shaping up!!
Macca cheering you on? How cool is that?

Teresa said...

Yeah!! New record!!! And your pics look amazing....and I can see the TNM waterbottle...love it!!!

Keep it up girl...see you in a few weeks for Honu!!!

tn

Jamie said...

What a huge moment for you Bree!

Just imagine that girl who you gave your medal to. Maybe she'll be the next "Bree Wee" and she'll use you as inspiration just like you've used Jill!

Brian - www.NewToTri.com said...

Congrats Bree, impressive!:)

Brian

www.NewToTri.com