Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Patience...

Took a long flight home and read an entire book, front to back, in 15 travel hours.  I read Iron War, have you read it?  It actually surprised me as it was better than I expected, different than what I was thinking it would be (it was a gift from Coach Steve), and in some ways just what I needed after a DNF. (Did Not Finish).  I'm a fan of the first generation Ironmen, those guys and girls are incredible to me, from the stories of what they did with such limited equipment to how they trained.  Back to the DNF.  I pride myself on finishing what I start and in some way I learned through the many pages of that book, how to get up after a fall, how to press on when you are hard pressed, how to hang in there even when mentally you are hung up. 
.
So of course, I land home later on Monday and wake up 4am (time change flustered) on Tuesday, ready to jump back into "the next race" feet first.  I have to instantly turn focus forward or I'll dwell too long on what is lingering.  I road almost 5hrs, filled up water at the docks, and saw the boat named "Patience".  That boat reminded me to be patient...it will happen, it will come, it will fall into place, whatever it is and all that it is I'm always seeking...
.
Then I jumped off my bike and ran.  The run was way too fast, Sunday's speed that had been saved up all came flying out down Queen K.  It felt amazing to be running so free and focused...on the next race.  That was most the day, ride and run.  I can't complain, then I watched Kainoa swim and wanted to be swimming (good sign, it means I'm motivated).  Finally I landed the start to my side job.  It's a major "work in progress" at the moment and one that I've been wanting to do for a long while now but lacked how to begin.  Talking to Masuda though, he has the support I need and willingness to back up my disasters I'm sure to make-like following through with it for starters...

...Then the mail man came.  Bright Pearl Izumi bike shoes!  How on Earth did they know a girl on an island would want something so beachy, so bright, so fabulous!?  Tomorrow they get to hug my feet!!!
.
That's about it around the home front, just diving back into sport and working towards a few things in life I want to see through.  Onward and upward, right?!
.
Bree

5 comments:

Jen Small said...

Wasn't that book really good!!?? What I got most out of is was the mental motivation to push harder. Good read.

LOVE those PI shoes :) We (the Rev3 AG'ers) should be getting ours soon and I SO hope they are bright and loud!

Hang in there Bree--you are one tough cookie and this is NOT gonna slow you down-if anything, it will just fuel that drive you have.
XO

See you at Quassy????

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Patience... indeed

Bre said...

I read that book in one sitting too- just too good to put down. Have you read Garth Stein's The Art of Racing in the Rain? It is my favourite book to put life (and training/racing) into perspective. I thought of this quote from the boook when I read your post with the boat Patience in it...
"I know this much about racing in the rain. I know it is about balance. It is about anticipation and patience... [it is also] about the mind! It is about owning one's body... It is about believing that you are not you; you are everything. And everything is you.”

I always love reading your blog for you honesty and truthfulness about racing, training, and life. Your positive outlook and passion for the sport is so evident when you write.

love the shoes & if I see them flying by on the Queen K next week when I'm in Kona for epic camp, I'll be able to give you a shout out!

Tina Marie Parker said...

Totally love the shoes. Sorry about the DNF. There will be another race. You are amazing and keep reaching for your goal. It is there in front of you silly :)

I started school, and I am struggling with added homework during the week, trying to eat healthy and in a timely manner and cram everything in again.

You are not alone.

Lucy Francis said...

Your shoes make mine look boring
:-). Love all the zingy colours (very '80's i like it!). Is this specially for you or will they be selling these colours worldwide?

Patience is something I'm really missing. I'm terrible I must admit.
Your next race will be a blast as your training "bank" is full :-)