Sunday, May 27, 2012

Unleashed...

Today I went surfing.  I was unleashed...

It was a very quick little session, more of an ocean dip, perhaps even recovery from the bike ride, more importantly it was family time.  Sunday is my favorite family time after all.  With the race so close, town is starting to show face of something on the horizon.  I'd be lying if I said its easy for me to go through the changing motions of a sleepy town to a race taking over.  It's not that easy, mostly because I lose myself.  I get so busy focusing on the race, the action, and rather than welcome a little prerace pressure I hide, losing myself...

So today, I was calm on taper, let myself rest, woke up without an alarm clock, and went on the bike ride after a leisurely breakfast filled with some family chat.  It was good.  After the ride it was time to meet up with the boys, visit Kainoa camping with his dad down at the beach, and rather than the butterflies that drive me with thoughts of a race strap on the ankle, I put on the surf leash.  A few shared waves with the boys, hugs with Kainoa, and letting lose-a little, ahh Sunday...

Something about dunking under waves, having salty hair, and looking out to the horizon while everything else rests on shore just makes me, me.  A few waves later I was good to go tackle a little more focus on the race, like hide from the sun, rest easy, and send some training logs to the coach.

I did something else too, it was something that had been chipping away at me for a week, maybe because there was a lack of peace.  Lieto has something I truly believe in, the More Than Sport charity.  Its a unique give back opportunity that he welcomed me to be part of the Monday after the race.  OF COURSE was my instant response.  But Monday I found a message that Sunday after the race we would roll down South to do the volunteer work.  My word is almost always solid, but with the day change that meant dipping out of Masuda's race Sunday, my weekend with Kainoa, and well-it wasn't Monday.  Saturday my family is going to spend all day with me, cheering, waiting at a finish line, up early, under the sun most the day, and to think the very next day I was going to roll down South and not be at family time was crushing me.  They would understand, it was me not understanding.

With my tail tucked between my legs, I bailed on Lieto and his project.  My family has to come first, Sunday is and has always been our family day, that means all of us if we can work it that way.  So...if you can, since I feel bad I can't, check out the More Than Sport link and see if you can support on one of his missions to give back...

It's Sunday evening now, we are gathered around a movie, talking between the actors, reading books, I'm doing this blog, cutting watermelons, and just doing what a family does when it begins to quiet down.  The best part, is even with a lot going on, we are together and finally I am at peace that next Sunday we will be too...
.
Have a good Sunday, hug tight to your family and thank them for the support they give you during the week, I know I am THANKFUL...

Bree

2 comments:

Christi said...

Enjoy every moment of family time!

Lucy Francis said...

Bree you don't have to feel guilty anout wanting to spend time with your family. I'm sure Lieto understands it, especialy as they changed the date. It will be a fantastic weekend: saturday all the excitment/nerves of the race and Sunday chillax with the family = perfect way to spend a weekend in my book :o