Monday, June 4, 2012

Hawaii 70.3 & Kukio...

As always, one of the best parts a race, the finish line... 
Finish lines are where those that love you usually wait, where the relief of holding strong finally comes to a screaming halt, the place where you catch your breath and sometimes, most the time feel pretty excited about all the hard work unfolding into the crossing of completion.  Hawaii 70.3 was once again filled with a lot of good moments and I have so many to thank for it.  Mostly my ohana.  Mike and Kainoa for being the first awake with me, never leaving my side.  Along with them, Wendy, Fredo, and my sister for being there from start line to finish line.  All the friends and community along the course too, you really help me be the girl I am and I love you guys for that and helping me hold onto my 4th place finish...

The race was a good day for me.  A 10 minute improvement from last year is keeping me focused in the right direction, a heap of things that I fumbled with throughout the day also have me realizing a lot of areas to continue to work on...mostly little things...but the little things add up...




Looking over all the little things, only one stands out as something I repeatedly struggle with...the swim start anxiety.  Coach Steve was on beach before the start and gave me a swim pep talk, told me where to line up, having him there gave me the confidence to believe I wasn't that girl anymore that flopped across the pool when I first joined the team.  All set to go I swam out, lined up exactly where he said not to for my flailing confidence, fought up front at the sound of the horn and found myself soon where he said I am capable of swimming, then I let go.  Simple as that, I let go.  Maybe swimming too much solo ocean swims has caused me to just feel secure in between packs, that is where I usually land and it always lands me a decent swim split. 

This Saturday I did something I'm not proud of at all and the part that makes it hurt was Coach Steve standing on shore with my friends wondering what I was doing, seeing it all go down. Kind of feel like I forgot to trust him, and he knows my swim better than me.  My friend Robin is also one of the best open water swimmers on the island, she worked with me on catching back the pack, holding on, and being uncomfortable with people swimming on top of me, I let all she worked with me on fly out the window, I just let go. Not only did I not fight to get back with the group I belong with, nor did I pull myself which I don't mind doing, I slowed and took an effortless ride when it's a RACE and racing should include our best effort.   My lackluster swim had me run into T2 with the realization on the bike I will have to race...
The bike was the high-light of my Hawaii 70.3, for many reasons.  For starters, I'm learning that if I do everything I can do to prepare, the nutrition part, the hills, tempo, speed days, the long rides, and keeping easy rides-easy, bike tune up, ect, then I am ready, confident.  It set me up to believe I took care of the parts I can control.  56 miles was great, the wind, hill to Hawi, the effort and pacing, all of it went good for me and I raced.  I landed in the mix where I believed I could ride, even had a tiny bike mechanical that I had to hop off my bike for, but stayed calm and got rolling down the hill just fine-letting go of the part I didn't have control over...

The run was pretty much was the part I was looking most forward to because all season I had been working on it, in fact I dreamed about my good run happening in this race.  The run was more like a half marathon training day effort wise and because I firmly believe a girl should never have more excuses than bikini's, I'll save the excuses and just get back in my run shoes with another plan of attack to try and run better next time...
With Hawaii 70.3 in the books, it was wake up to another race, the Kukio Challenge.  My paddle was not packed (by me), as my intentions were to fully support Masuda.  He is one of the best of the best when it comes to paddling on the island.  However, sitting at the edge of a race, he saw it in me and rounded up a canoe, had my paddle packed, and before long I was on another start line-with him this time! 

This start line was equally as beautiful, the Pacific Ocean  We swam 800 meters, ran 3 miles, then jumped onto OC1, paddle boards, or SUP's.  After the swim/run I think I had almost 20 minutes on Masuda (clearly I saved my run legs for Sunday, darn them for hiding).  Of course over 4 miles all the strong island men, and 2 girls paddled past me into the finish.  During this race something incredible happened.  That feeling from the triathlon, the part where it feels like I forget how to "race" was ignited. 

Somewhere over the deep blue sea, happy just to be paddling, no care in the world about what place I land, I discovered I do in fact know the difference between doing something out of sheer passion and love, without fear of failure and that of racing. I found the exact opposite of what a start line, at a triathlon is to feel like, in the middle of Kukio where I was smiling completely for the passion of being on the ocean.  Because I have been so very fortunate to land triathlon as my job at this point in life, I have to take it to that level, the level where ultimately I do have to have passion, but it has to be way more than just being out there...it is competition.  Maybe in my striving to be humble I've let myself forget to realize my desires and talents.  Learning to "race" is my new goal.  Training, I've got that down, coach helps me nail that, but to race must come from within...

Amazing how in a single weekend of racing I learned a thing or two about "racing" and I relived the beauty of my dream of paddling across the channel-just because.
Today is now Monday, racing came into FULL motion this morning.  After an easy ocean swim with  recovery on the mind, the high schoolers were doing those intense beach run-swim to the buoy line-run to the sea wall things.  In the middle of the action I lined up, day 1 of "race" came into play...

My legs feel better after 3 days of kicking my own okole, the Coconut Girls fixed me up today, might even take the sisters yoga class tonight to really get my mental edge rolling...

Plenty of mahalo's go out to a lot of people for making this weekend happen for me, in no particular order, here they are:
Kainoa, Mike, Seth Sammy, what a great bunch of boys to share life with!  Wendy for being my absolute best friend, Brooke and Nick, too!  Bike Works and Swift Carbon for giving this girl her dream bike and taking care of it with/for me!  Coconut girls and Oden for all the hands-on-healing!  Coach Jimmy and Coach Steve, damn I'm a lucky girl to have your help in sport!  Pearl Izumi for the shoes that always land me without blisters and (knock on wood) no injuries!  Splish for the most fun suits ever in the world and Blue Seventy for the speedy suits of the world! Sal and the run squad for the run push, it will pay off next race!! Mr. Charles Patten for the heaps of help, Bree at Mauna Lani for the awesome hotel nights!! To the incredible race directors and volunuteers of Hawaii 70.3 and Kukio Challenge-AWESOME! 

See you at the next race!
Bree

9 comments:

JC said...

Yeah - the fire is your belly! SUPER Congrats Chica simply AWESOME! You inspire so much!
Xo

Bre said...

I love that in the pictures you can see the pure joy and happiness on your face while racing! :) COngrats on a great race, and all the ones that are going to be coming up!! Way to rock the island.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

There is a saying that I truly believe.. "You can't win it on the swim, but you can lose it"

From the times I saw, I think you were right in the mix and the minute or two you may have picked up in the swim, you more than made up on the bike because you were fresh..

Coach Steve may disagree but I wonder what Jimmy has to say....

Great race and the 10 minutes shows it..

Kolla said...

Ahhh Bree, reading your blog always makes me smile.
Your stories of mangos, papayas, racing, running, swimming, biking and living life take me to a happy little island in my soul. Thank you for sharing - best wishes for races to come.

Christi said...

Congratulations on a great race! 10 mins is a great improvement! You go girl!

Lucy Francis said...

Well done on the double racing weekend. I know exactly what you mean on the swim as i always end up in no "man's land" swimming on my own. I suppose I prefer to set my own pace rather than be pushed by others. Your 4th place was very gutsy and what a PB to top it all.
How bad was the cross wind?
Love the kayaking bit in the Kukio challenge. sounds fun :-)

Kiet said...

Ha ha ha, I swam and ran better at Kukio than the 70.3 that year as well. So proud of your 70.3 race, each split on its own was good, but you put all three together and it was an awesome race, it's triathlon meaning put 3 solid splits together. Reading this race report made me a bit homesick. ;o)

Kat said...

Congrats on a great race! Always sending spirit ahead your way for races, just like you send out such great spirit in your words of wisdom….besting last year by 10 is fantastic!!! Perhaps stop focusing on the parts of the swim that leave you feeling vulnerable or questioning, and focus on the parts that you LOVE, you appreciate, you adore, as you go to the start…feel the pack mentality carrying you with ease and feel yourself merge with it…merging with the power of it all and force of it all…..focus on all that feels wonderful and free and powerful and swift….and swim with the pack /lead the pack in your mind often….for as your mind goes, your body follows. …. You are such a winner in life!

beth said...

Your attitude and no-excuses mentality are always awesome....So fun to race with you and can't wait till next time!