Monday, July 2, 2012

Happy 6 Kainoa...




At 13 years old 3 important lessons were taught to me in sex ed class. How to put a condom on a banana, you will not get pregnant French kissing, and that it is normal for girls to have one boob bigger than the other,  they also make milk when you have a baby.  That sums up every drop of experience middle school thought we needed to know about sex, womanhood, and motherhood.  Other than that one time I babysat my nephew, I was clueless on diapers, poop, and life actually.

After a few mission trips during college I warmed up and wisened up to those little people that poop in their pants, suck boobs, and cry (often). My child-handling experience grew on those trips, I taught Math & various sports to a young boys school in Belize, worked in a baby orphange in Honduras, and gave beach side English lessons to children in Costa Rica one Summer.  Children became a big deal to me and I decided one day I will be a mom, by adopting of course, a child from each country I worked in!  4 was my chosen number of kids, mostly because just one would be lonely and 4 is my favorite number. 

Life seems to always have a plan of it's own for me, despite being ready or not, then popped out Kainoa.  6 years ago today he was born and my entire life changed for the better. I also learned bananas are not meant to wear condoms but be mashed and actually taste good from a baby jar! To that list a million other life lessons have all been taught to me by a child, my very own 6 year old:


Life might take you under, cause you to lose your balance, and knock you off your board...you have to get back on.
Be proud of who you are.  It is okay to stand out, fit in, hide in a tree, or all three at any given time...
 Pray a lot, believe in the things that matter to you with your whole heart!  Trusting even when you lack a vision, lack hearing the direction you are called, and when things make no sense, keep trusting, it all works out-eventually.
Pick up pennies, save them, they make dollars, lots of them after a year of putting them in a jar.


Books are very, very cool.  
 Sandcastles are just the start of building dreams...
Friends are like crayons, it is so much better to have every color and culture, they make our pictures and world so much more beautiful...
Recycle, feed the homeless, give away all the toys you no longer play with, and share...

 Really bad dives sometimes turn out AWESOME!
Fall in love with every sunset, every hand that holds your hand tightly hold it back tightly, see the world with your eyes open, and whatever you do be brave and fearless when it comes to love...

Happy Birthday Kainoa, you have brought so much life to my life...
Love mom.

5 comments:

Ordinarylife said...

Happy Birthday to your gorgeous 6 year old! I have loved watching him grow through your blog. He is a stunning boy and you are doing a fantastic job raising him - doing much more than even a comprehensive class could have taught.

gelmertri said...

Happy BD Kainoa! My little guy turned 6 in January. Even though I do tri's my favorite thing about your blog is to follow Kainoa and watch him grow with mine - I have been telling him he has to stay 6 for awhile now... but he wants to grow up to be a big kid... sigh...so, I am enjoying every minute - as are you!

Lucy Francis said...

And you should be a proud mum! Happy birthday Kainoa :-)

JC said...

Happy Birthday Dude!
OMG - FANTASTIC post Ms. Bree. Your love for your little man ooozes from you. He is so blessed to have you as a Mom.

JenniferAllison said...

This is one of the best blog posts' I've read to date........look at you and your son.......a fantastic relationship that has been forming all along....with each of you bringing out THE best in each other. You are a wonderful mother Bree; you never have to doubt yourself about this! Kainoa is your gift from God; he's got the best plans in the world for us.....if we just open our hearts......Happy 6th Kainoa.........