Saturday, July 14, 2012

Mini Wee N' Me...


In the middle of a few twists and turns in the road and a lot of family/friendly support, I'm finding some amazing inner strength that has possibly been dormant lately-because I'm feeling brave in this moment.  Or maybe I'm just realizing that life is short, we only get one of them, and that means we have to live it to the fullest, (our fullest, whatever that means to us).  Sadly, a good man in our community lost his life this week, riding his bike.  Not that I needed or wanted anyone to die, it did serve as another reminder that no matter what is going on around us, if we have good health and good people in our lives, we have it made-the rest we just have to get through, sometimes making lemonade from our lemons, often times not that bad at all...

The high-light of this week was swim practice with Kainoa.  AND I mean, with Kainoa.  It was mid morning, I had 10x200 to cruise through, so we did them together. (I mean "share" a lane).  Mini-me was doing roughly a 25 for every 75 yards I swam.  After 4 of them he did what he does best, play.  Dive to the pool bottom, stop me every few laps to say, "good job mom", and then of course I would get distracted.  His flip turns were blowing my mind!  His stream line was super impressive, and he was looking more like a swimmer than I'd ever seen him look.  Our 30 minute pool session was perhaps one of the best, as a mom these moments are priceless and I know it's only a matter of time till we are "swimming together", not just sharing a lane...


...And then of course, there are those sunsets that take up a lot of island moments of mine.  I believe I sat through 5 of them this week and one tonight from the lanai at dinner.  A lot is lingering in my head with the teaching/triathlon position I'm in, sunsets let me think without thinking, hope that makes sense to you like it works for me.  On Friday my finger prints were taken to get back into the classroom, a meeting with the school principal was wrapped up, and I lifted weights in the gym with a former student.  He told me I was his favorite teacher ever...that makes you feel good.  That very same day I swam my best swim set ever.  It was not a particularly good morning but I was in the middle of making my lemons into lemonade and it wound up being pretty sweet.  So there you have it, loving my sport and seeing best times in the pool while also doing some "teachery" things.

Then the card came, my Elite card.  And with that, the word that I can race my next race, Philippines 70.3 because the hearing isn't for 5 or so weeks and until that time I am free to race.  What is the big problem anyways, I am not entirely sure but I'll try to sum it up better than I have been.

My membership with USAT was expired, my blond headed self thought that with the renewal of my Ironman membership at the start of the year I was "good to go". But I was not, both memberships needed to be up-to-date.  SO that $795 bucks pros pay at the start of the year is different than the $39 I never paid. What went so wrong?  I raced a couple races unpaid to USAT-but I wasn't trying to not pay.  I did that $12 one-day fee thing, telling the sign in people that my card is in the mail (yeah, I know, long time but mail to Hawaii is SOOOOOOO LONG).  So I would race and they would let me.  Turns out-pros are not allowed to do a one-day fee.  So I paid like $60 bucks in one day fees for 5 races this year (obviously I was not trying to ditch out on the fee, I over paid it).  And not my fault those check in USAT people were letting me.  In Portland one of them finally told me, told me to just renew online, so I did.  $45 bucks online, boom, got it.  THEN he tells me, actually pros cant renew online like that.  So now...$45 bucks online fee, $60 in race day fee's, then the $39 this week to actually get my card by faxing in results...I got my card up-to-date and can race until the hearing where they are waiting to determine if my "racing without a renewed membership" will have me suspended for a year.



See, look what I have!  So happy about this...

And where am I now with the teaching/triathlon thing?  I'm training as much as this momma can and put my name on the substitute teaching list.  That is the best plan I can come up with at the moment.  Training in hopes the hearing goes good for me and I get to keep up with triathlon full time, getting back into teaching because I need money to even get to the race now that  $$ was spent on a race I didn't get to race.  I'm thinking some part time teaching would better work for me anyways, I'm not exactly an Ironman winner that can live on sport alone.  And if the hearing goes sour I will be teaching full time...

Hope you guys are all having a very good weekend, be safe out there, it's a crazy world on and off the bike and send some good prayers & thoughts to Jesse's family-I know they need some as he will be really missed!! 

Bree

8 comments:

Lucy Francis said...

I'm so pleased you got your Pro card and can race in the meantime, and it looks like you've come up with an inter rim plan with the part time teaching as well. And don't feel so blond for not having renewed the card. I for one think there is too much bureaucracy and stuff going on in life to keep on top of it all. You'd think the USAT would have an autorenewal (or send an email, call you , etc)
Anyway, I hope the outcome of the hearing is positive, in my view it only highlights holes in their systems, after all you've paid more in license fees with the 1 day licenses.
I think Kainoa is a mini dolphin and very soon he'll be lapping you :-)
Take care on the road too (i nearly killed a squirrel today on my bike, tut, tut) big hug from soggy UK

Charisa said...

Life has a funny way of always working itself out, even if half the time we can't see it at all for a long time. I feel like that a lot about my life....glad you get to do the next half - I know you were so excited about going back there!

Bill Greentree said...

Like I said Bree, things will work out. You have family and friends that are supportive. Keep on training and racing where you can and don't worry about anything with USAT until you have to. (With that said I don't mean don't prepare for dealing with them!). Things work out for the best and you'll be back tearing things up on non WTC races soon enough.

now go have another swim with your swim buddy!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I knew there was a reason I "pay as I go" for USAT. Saves me $20 some bucks a year and avoids feeding the bureaucracy.
Chin up and smile when they ask questions....

JC said...

Yeah - so glad you got your Pro card and awesome proactiviness (is that a word)? with regards to whatever happens. Your Dude's swimming is AWESOME! It must be in the genes and that time that you two are spending together - PRICELESS!
YEAAAHHHHHH - so happy for you that you will be racing soon:)
Thoughts and prayers with Jesse's family!

Christy said...

Wow! I'm so glad things are ironing out! Too bad that the Pro's renewal isn't an easy process. You would think that whole process would be easy for you guys!!!

I love your attitude! And I know God is so watching your back!!! You are amazing in so many ways!!!

Kat said...

Wow, oh wow, I have been behind on your posts and missed your trials and tribulations. So so sorry for you!! All we can do when it looks like we are pushed so far from our course is trust with wonder and awe that the wayward path is leading us somewhere *amazing*… and know, just *know* that it will be a grin-to-the-moon reward and gift in life. That is our only option, other than feeling bad…and feeling bad blocks rewards from coming, blocks us from seeing a gift, blocks us from being the fulness of who we are to feel the most from the moment -- you are so good at living in the moment. Perhaps you were saved a bad crash or other injury. Perhaps this was set-up from beyond to protect you. There must be a silver lining, as you are too much a blessing to the world for it not to be. Prayers & Best to you Bree! …. Kat

PJ said...

Good on you for a positive attitude, Bree.

I must say, however, that I can't believe that this is even issue with USAT. Seriously. I do not understand why there has to be a hearing and all that other crap. It seems beyond ridiculous. Yes, rules are rules, but c'mon. If USAT is going to insist on a specific way of doing things and not be understanding or lenient for such unintended "mistakes" (not that you can even call it that), then they need to have all of these rules spelled out for you at the beginning of the season.

It angers me a little bit that our governing body is so out for themselves they can't see beyond the silly red tape to actually HELP the athletes who, in reality, are the reason they even exist. Shouldn't that be what it's all about? A governing body should be there to support the athletes who it exists for? I think it's more than obvious that you were not trying to avoid paying any fees and beyond that, what would be USAT's concern?

Frustrating and I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir so I'll stop there.

I'm sure it will all work out for you Bree! Happy thoughts to you!